Author Topic: Customs House Officers Records  (Read 1124 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Customs House Officers Records
« on: Wednesday 17 May 17 18:07 BST (UK) »
A while ago, kindly Rootschatters helped me to identify the marriage details of my 3rd great grandparents.  I'm trying to find out more about my 3rd great grandfathers family but drawing a blank.

My 3rd great grandfather was William Moore, born approximately 1831 and on his marriage details to my 3rd great grandmother, Margaret Jane Southern in 1859 his fathers name was given as James Moore, Customs House Officer. 

I've tried to find records to give me more details about James but can't find any.  A while back when researching a coastguard family on my husbands side I could find loads of details, namely where his relative had been posted in his career and the name of his wife and children.

Are there similar records for Customs House Officers, all the records I've seen are the Kew records which aren't accessible online.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Customs House Officers Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 May 17 19:47 BST (UK) »
I think you'll find it's the Kew records you need.
Elwyn

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 17 07:41 BST (UK) »
It would be worth having a look at National Archives Discovery again, as you would do when finding the coastguards on line, the custom house officers may be there too now.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 17 08:01 BST (UK) »
Just to say that there is no index to these records - you have to search each book manually and generally the person only crops up if they have done something noteworthy - you won't find them if they led an ordinary working life.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all. Such a shame I can't access these records online but would have to visit Kew to see them.  I think for the coastguard records I accessed I had accessed them through Geniuk so thought it would be the same for Customs officers.