Author Topic: Can anyone clear up this image of a Carr Family Wedding from the 1940s  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone clear up this image of a Carr Family Wedding from the 1940s
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:02 BST (UK) »
Terrific job Cazz!
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:17 BST (UK) »
Amazing!

You have all put in a sterling effort! Thank you. I'm always amazed by how you guys (and girls) are willing to spend your valuable time to bring genuine joy to others. So thank you for all you hard work and efforts. jloy326, Handypandy, japeflakes, dafydd46, Cazza59, You are all class acts!
Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
Terrific job Cazz!

Thanks Wiggy, much appreciated!  :)

Caz
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:23 BST (UK) »
Late one. Almost didn't post after seeing the fantastic jobs already done, especially the one by Cazz.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:27 BST (UK) »
A late one from me too
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
What amazing results on this photo - I'm seriously impressed!

I played around with channels, masks and filters but got absolutely nowhere so I gave up on it. Like Dafydd, I'd be interested to hear how you tackled the stripes. Especially from Dafydd, Cazza and McGroger.

Mike

@Cazza59,
iallu
A very impressive result for this difficult photograph!
May I ask how you achieved it? I am always eager to learn.

dafydd46.
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mike. From one learner to another.

With the archway I just obliterated the lines with the smudge and blur tools. With the pavement I ran the burn and dodge tools as appropriate to try to even out the darkness/lightness and then smudged what was left. I tried to do the same thing with the lines through the people: brush in either a darker or lighter area so that the lines would disappear. I also tried to make some people/objects darker or lighter so that their detail was clearer; that is, rather than just using either the burn or the dodge tool, I alternated between them.

I’m not that happy with the end result or the method. The method was very tedious and it was very difficult to get the shades right so that the lines would disappear; sometimes when I zoomed out I found I was making the lines worse or merely making them only slightly less visible. The result wasn’t really that good for the time involved. You’ll note that in desperation I added some canvas texture to try to hide some of the lines that were still to visible.

I have read that some programs and/or plugins have a facility for removing scan lines but I don’t know how effective they are. GIMP, or at least a plugin available for GIMP, is supposed to have it. I use Photoshop Elements and I can’t find anything like that in it.

I’d love to know how Dafydd46 so thoroughly got rid of the lines and also how Cazz achieved such a truly remarkable result; looks like a lot of very clever work.

Cheers, Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline ymfoster

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
Lovely job Caz & Daffy,  ;D

also good efforts by all,

Yvonne
Restorers may use my restores to colour, acknowledgement appreciated.

Mostly England - <br />Walne Nfk - Argent Barritt Hammond Sfk - Asprey Comber Cribb Gundrey Higgs Plaw Sewell Sumption Sry - Baldwin Bull Nth -  Brumfield Dufty London Wor -  Calverley Greenhalgh Lan - Dodson Stainsby NRY - Denison WRY - Whittle Yks - Dormer Mdx - Felmingham Eng - Grecian Nbl -  Hayse Mass US - Jenner Ounstead Weeding Ssx - McDonald Skye - Campbell McIndoe McMillan Inv - Window Gls

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 24 May 17 07:39 BST (UK) »
I gave this one another crack with a few less short cuts, not sure that its much better....but hey-ho....