Author Topic: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?  (Read 6304 times)

Offline WeeLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a burial plot in Southern Necropolis?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 20 October 19 21:29 BST (UK) »
Not sure if anyone is still reading this thread.  Here's hoping.  We've just started doing our family tree and starting to piece a lot together from old photos and certificates in my dads house.  My dad is descended from William McConnell - his daughter Agnes Struthers McConnell married John Jones (Agnes is my dad's gran).  Amazingly we somehow have the original title deeds for the Southern Necropolis for William McConnell  - lairs 101 and 299.  Plan is to visit in the next week or so and see if we can find them.

I'd be interested in any info anyone else has on William McConnell as we start to research.  I also have a few certificates related to the Jones family which Agnes married into -  John Jones - becoming a freeman citizen of Glasgow and Robert Jones and his membership of the Glasgow Eastern Merchants and tradesmen Society.
McConnell/Aitkenhead, Jones, Cornes

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 20 October 19 21:52 BST (UK) »
WeeLee, you and I are related. William McConnell's wife Isabella Aitkenhead was the younger sister of my great-great-grandmother Margaret Aitkenhead.

Agnes Struthers McConnell was (I think) the ninth of their eleven children. After the death of her husband John Jones in 1895 she married James Main in 1906.

Once you have made a couple more posts to this forum we will be able to make contact by Personal Message and exchange notes in detail.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline WeeLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 20 October 19 22:18 BST (UK) »
Fantastic! I didn’t think I’d get a response. I’d definitely be keen to swap info. Granny Agnes Jones (Main) did indeed marry James Main. From what we know he was a foreman on the forth rail bridge, we have an original signed copy of the document that all the foremen on the bridge presented to Sir William Arroll -it’s hanging up in mum and dads living room. 😁

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 October 19 22:51 BST (UK) »
That's quite an heirloom to have :)

I have a note as follows: Erected by William McConnell in memory of his children Thomas, died 30 October 1843 aged 1½ years; James, died 13 February 1849 aged 4½ years; Elizabeth Aitkenhead, died 21 September 1863 aged 4 years; and his father Thomas McConnell, died 7 May 1853 aged 85 years; also his mother Agnes Struthers, died 16 October 1870 aged 96 years; and his wife Isabella Aitkenhead, died 6 December 1902 aged 82 years; the above William McConnell, died 7 September 1905 aged 90 years; also his son John McConnell, beloved husband of Madge Montgomerie, who died 21st October 1906 aged 44 years. [MI, Southern Necropolis, Glasgow: central section, north wall, sixth stone west of main gate]

So that should help to find at least one of the burials. I have not seen the stone myself, so if you find it and get a photograph I'd like to see it.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline WeeLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 October 19 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the additional info. So helpful! I’ll seen you a photo if we find it!

Offline WeeLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 21 April 23 08:57 BST (UK) »
Coming back to this after a very long time and after not doing much at all. :-(  But we are back on to finally sort out a bit more info about the family tree after now roping in my dad. :-) Not sure if anyone will still read this thread.

Anyway, we finally dug out the lair certificates which have been passed down through the family and dad took himself off to the Southern Necropolis yesterday.  Delighted to say that the McConnell headstone was easily located and its looking fab!  Dad was chuffed to see it and I am making my way to it on Saturday for a look. 

We also have a lair at 36/9 299 at the S Necropolis.  We will try and find that at the weekend and see if any more McConnells in there (but, from a search, and a hunch, we think it may be Agnes Buchanan Dickie Jones  - Agnes Struthers McConnells daughter in law hiding in there). 

Photos attached of the headstone!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:24 BST (UK) »
We also have a lair at 36/9 299 at the S Necropolis.  We will try and find that at the weekend and see if any more McConnells in there (but, from a search, and a hunch, we think it may be Agnes Buchanan Dickie Jones  - Agnes Struthers McConnells daughter in law hiding in there). 

Lair 36/9 299
Down the bottom
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS5Q-V37G-N

Interments
16 Nov 1935
Agnes B Jones
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS5Q-V3WV-X

13 Nov 1939
Sheena G Cornes
+
26 Dec 1939
Mary Agnes Cornes
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS5Q-V3WV-9

18 Jan 1950
Robert Jones
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CS5Q-V3WJ-X

Offline WeeLee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:32 BST (UK) »
I can't thank you enough for this info.  This has just solved a big family puzzle!

My dad always new he had two sisters, Mary and Sheena, born before him and died young but he never was told much about them.

He's going to be chuffed to bits to know they are there along with his gran and grandad. Thank you!

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 21 April 23 09:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
Glad it was useful, good luck for your visit to the lair.
John