Author Topic: Can anyone identify this WW1 uniform?  (Read 4796 times)

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone identify this WW1 uniform?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:32 BST (UK) »

Why do you think regular rather than conscript, barryd?

Moustache, puttees, demeanour. Only a thought.
Good afternoon,

I would agree on the bugle horn above shoulder titles but that would be light infantry. Cameronians did have a bugle horn as part of their badge, it was surmounted by a wreath with a star within it. It came from the 90th foot when amalgamated in 1881.

I would also expect to see tartan trews or kilt for Scottish regt.

I would agree pre war because of the regtl insignia being on the uniform but post 1908 because he has a web belt. Brought out that year to relace the old leather slade wallace equipment.

Most regular soldiers would have their own swagger sticks for walking out. Either purchased or homemade, they were regarded as a status symbol when walking down the street. Stick under one arm, lady on the other. Also made a handy weapon for the unarmed soldier returning to barracks after a few drinks.

John915

Sorry, I have to disagree with most of the above.

He is NOT pre war, neither is he a reg...A regular soldier would not have his puttees in such a deplorable state.

The 1908 web equipment replaced the 1903 Bandolier Equipment, not Slade Wallace. The brass shoulder titles in 1908 were not there...They had cloth ones

The "Walking Out Cane" to give the "swagger stick" its correct nomenclature was a private purchase item for ALL rank and file. Indeed there was a prescribed "stick drill" for it. It was to keep a soldiers hands out of his pockets and to add a bit of class. Stick Drill only left the army in the 1960s. All rank and file had to carry them when leaving barracks after 1800 hrs to go into town or where ever.

The wife MAY have a sweetheart brooch at her neck. I cannot see the detail, but it may be more patent on the original.

She is also wearing the clothes of wartime period.

So, a wartime pic and not pre war.
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 01:36 BST (UK) »
Also, I am not convinced by the "shoulder title" its far too far up the epaulette, and looks more like a fault on the exposure. The original may support this, or it may show something clearer.

Offline moggies12

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 20:30 BST (UK) »

Sorry, I have to disagree with most of the above.

He is NOT pre war, neither is he a reg...A regular soldier would not have his puttees in such a deplorable state.

The 1908 web equipment replaced the 1903 Bandolier Equipment, not Slade Wallace. The brass shoulder titles in 1908 were not there...They had cloth ones

The "Walking Out Cane" to give the "swagger stick" its correct nomenclature was a private purchase item for ALL rank and file. Indeed there was a prescribed "stick drill" for it. It was to keep a soldiers hands out of his pockets and to add a bit of class. Stick Drill only left the army in the 1960s. All rank and file had to carry them when leaving barracks after 1800 hrs to go into town or where ever.

The wife MAY have a sweetheart brooch at her neck. I cannot see the detail, but it may be more patent on the original.

She is also wearing the clothes of wartime period.

So, a wartime pic and not pre war.

Thanks for that Scrimnet,
You are right about the date...like I said before, although I know next to nothing about the military, the fact the smallest girl's birth was Dec 1911, the photo had to be taken during, rather than before, the war.

I did think 'ouch' when you said no regular would have his puttees in such a deplorable state! But on looking closer at the photo, they do look a bit ramshackle!  ::)

I'm afraid I can't lay my hands on the original, so flaws in the photo or insignia...it may never be clear!

Thank you all again for your input  :)
Sweetmore, Stalker, Scott, Knight in Angus
Austin, Bickley, Barnsley, Taylor, Lote in Staffordshire

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 09 June 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
There are a couple of ways you may find more...if you have them on the 1911 census, try looking at the Absent Voters list for the area.

Also of use would be his local newspapers archive...a trawl through them often pays dividends :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 June 17 23:00 BST (UK) »
What a lovely photo...it deserves some attention though. Why not put it up for repair on the Photo Restoration board.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU