Author Topic: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please  (Read 10078 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 01:46 BST (UK) »

I don't understand why you think his brother Michael would get Thomas's birth date wrong by 3 years, especially in an affadavit. You can see in the last letter that Thomas wrote to him from Buenos Aires that they were close, it doesn't make sense ...

marsbar60 ... please re-read what I have said previously.    

I have not said that Michael MAHER got the birth date of Thomas wrong, at all !!

What you need to understand is that in genealogy / family history ... call it what you will, "everything" is not always "black and white".    In records, be they formal or informal,  there can be large variances in dates / time frames ... and errors too relating to all manner of things.   This is why it's important endeavour to gather as many sources as possible to assist verification.

But, I'd ask you the question too, how do you know that Michael MAHER's information is correct ?

Looks like he was in occasional contact with Thomas (when other family members weren't) - that doesn't necessarily suggest he was close, nor does it guarantee he was correct about "facts" he supplied in his statement. 

So when you say "it doesn't make sense", it would seem that there are other factors you haven't considered that might be in play ?

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Marchioness Mail Ship-Melbourne to Nelson to Wellington Passengers Help Please
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 01:58 BST (UK) »
Sure, I understand, I will keep an open mind. But I think the only way to prove that Michael may have not remembered when Thomas was born is to provide more verification such as Irish birth records. Unless proven otherwise, for now I believe Michael died at 87(or 88) years old in 1921 as per his death cert. etc and that Thomas was born in 1839. Regarding the Cyclopedia article, one of their representatives have already told me that their dates are often innacurate.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 02:07 BST (UK) »

I think this needs to be verified. I don't understand why you think his brother Michael would get Thomas's birth date wrong by 3 years, especially in an affadavit. You can see in the last letter that Thomas wrote to him from Buenos Aires that they were close, it doesn't make sense

Perhaps we could go back to the Irish birth records for Killenaule County Tipperary for verification?

[Struckthrough paragraph, already dealt with. ]

marsbar60 ... at the outset of this thread you asked "I would like to search the Marchioness passenger lists to identify the whole family including Thomas and Michaels parents ..."

I've added a lot of information here for you regarding the MAHER (MAHR) family found on the
"Marchioness" which I now wonder if you've overlooked reading it ??

I don't see where you've acknowledged (or accepted) that the parents of Thomas MEAGHER were indeed Patrick and Mary MAHER (MAHR) ... and now you've skipped to wanting verification from Irish records ??

Thomas MEAGHER died  in Argentina.   

*   Have you got a copy of his death record ??

~  Lu

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 02:50 BST (UK) »
Don't worry I have read everything you have posted, and thank you again.
You do have the best immigration match for that early NZ generation. I will verify Patrick and Mary's family (if possible?) through the Irish family birth records.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 03:29 BST (UK) »
That's great thanks, Noel Cooney too!

Offline marsbar60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 03:43 BST (UK) »
I also got Thomas's wife Mary's gravesite details today. She is buried in Karori Wellington(2nd largest cemetary in NZ) plot 109A in the Roman Catholic Area, along with Thomas's son Tom(1942) and Eugene (1945) (Eugene(A.k.a Hugh, not marked on the headstone)  I have a picture of Eugene, he was my great grandfather's (James) best man at his wedding in 1901.

The wording is hard to read, but it says:

Sacred
To The Memory Of
Mary Meagher
Who Died July 12th 1916
In her 75th Year
Mayest Thou Sleep
In The Peace Of The Lord
Also Her Son
Thomas
Died 15th of January 1942
Aged 74 Years

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:10 BST (UK) »
If you have access to the ancestry.com site (some large NZ libraries have free access ) there is someone who has a family tree for Edgar BIDDLE - the husband of Hannah MEAGHER (MAHER).
Tree name is "Jo-Anne Clarke Family Tree".

It has given Hannah's birth as >

Judith Hannah MAHER (MEAGHER) - 14 March 1852 - Graytown, Killenaule, Tipperary

The tree names her parents as "Patrick MAHER (MEAGHER) and Mary DWYER".
----

I was able to find an Irish Parish record for this (at FindMyPast website - pay site) which showed as >

BIRTHS - 1852 - MEAGHER - Judith of Patrick MEAGHER and Mary DWYER

No luck with yet with finding any other family members.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 04:23 BST (UK) »
oops ... forgot to add to last post >

IRELAND - Roman Catholic Baptisms

MEAGHER - Judith
Birth Year :  ---
Baptism Year :  1852
Baptism Date :  14 March 1852
Residence :   Graystown Hill
Parish :  Killenaule
Alternative Parish Names :   Killenaule and Moyglass,  Moyglass
Diocese :  Cashel and Emly
County :  Tipperary
[Parents as given previously :  Patrick MEAGHER and Mary DWYER  ]
------

Have a feeling these Ireland Parish records may be viewable online for free now - will see if I can locate link ?

~  Lu