Author Topic: 12th Regiment, Glasgow Barracks?  (Read 895 times)

Offline tildastar16

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
12th Regiment, Glasgow Barracks?
« on: Tuesday 30 May 17 22:23 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather got married in Glasgow (William Hartley to Catherine Brady, 1862 St Alphonsus Church) - and his occupation is listed as 'Soldier' address 'Barracks'.  In later life he died at home in Barrack Street. His regiment is listed as '12th regiment' that's all it says.  There are several William Hartley's with war records, but I can't find any evidence that the 12th regiment of foot were anywhere near Glasgow Barracks at that time, and I also can't find any William Hartley record associated with 12th regiments!  Does anyone with more understanding than me have ideas?  I am fairly sure he spent some time in prison in Glasgow in the 1850s for housebreaking, and I did wonder whether he may have been released on condition of joining up?  Could be wrong though.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 12th Regiment, Glasgow Barracks?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
Your William Hartley may well be innocent.

In 1851 there is a 19 year old William Hartley, born Lanarkshire, in jail in Glasgow.

In 1858 (27th April) William Hartley, labourer, Saltmarket, Glasgow, was tried for theft, habit and repute, and previous conviction at the High Court in Glasgow. The sentence was 5 years penal servitude.

In 1863 (22nd December) William Hartley, 33, labourer, 78 Saltmarket Street, Glasgow, a native of Glasgow, was tried for theft, habit and repute, and previous conviction at the Hight Court in Glasgow. The sentence was 7 years penal servitude.

In 1873 (23rd April) another William Hartley, 44, Uddingston, Bothwell, a native of Berwick on Tweed, was tried for bigamy at the High Court in Glasgow. The sentence was 12 months imprisonment.

In 1879 (23rd December) another William Hartley, 14, 9 Lyon Street, Partick, Glasgow, was tried for theft by housebreaking and previous conviction at the High Court in Glasgow. The sentence was 5 years penal servitude.

The first three Williams above look as though they are the same person. The sentences would rule him out from being your man. A terrible lot these Hartleys all the same  ::).

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
The Stations of the British Army published in newspapers confirm that the 12th Regiment wasn't in Glasgow in 1862.  Doesn't mean he wasn't though!  I too find no sign of him elsewhere in the 12th around that time.
You said the connection with the 12th was when he died, when was that?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tildastar16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hello - he died in 1885 living in Barrack Street, Glasgow.  However, the connection with the 12th was from his marriage certificate in 1862 where his occupation was listed as 'solider, 12th regiment' and address, Barracks. 

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
Another check on 1 Jan 1862 the 1st Bn 12th Regt was in Australia, the 2nd Bn in Cork and the depot in Chatham.  On 1 Jan 1863 1st Bn New Zealand 2nd Bn Dublin.  No sign of him in the army world wide 1861 or in 1861 England or Wales census (I don't have Scotland census)*.  No sign connecting him with 12th Regiment before or since.

I know you've done all that but a second look always worth a few minutes.  A puzzle.

1861 census for barracks in  Glasgow anyone??

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline tildastar16

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
The only William Hartley of the right sort of age in Glasgow on 1861 census has the right name of wife (Catherine) and three kids but that is the year before the marriage cert....(I know all kinds of things can go on lol)  Will look for the Barracks on census

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 May 17 21:34 BST (UK) »
St Alphonsus still exists, the Barracks is long gone, possibly he was on the barrack master's staff?

Skoosh.