Author Topic: John Logan EVANS - Howell County, Missouri  (Read 1456 times)

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
  • Koondrook-Barham Bridge over the Murray
    • View Profile
John Logan EVANS - Howell County, Missouri
« on: Sunday 04 June 17 20:41 BST (UK) »
Trying to find the death of John Logan or John L. EVANS between 1900 and 1909 in Howell County, Missouri.  He lived in the township of Myatt and possibly Lanton as well.  He appears in the 1880 and 1900 Federal census in Myatt with his wife Hannah and some of their children.  Hannah remarries in 1909 in Howell County as Mrs. Hannah E. Evans. 

Searched all online records I can find including Findagrave, Billiongraves, Missouri deaths on Ancestry, FindMyPast and FamilySearch, Howell County USGenWeb, etc. 

Any assistance appreciated.

Adams - Dorset, Wilts, Austl
Bridges -London, Kent, Austl
Alloway - Wiltshire, Cornwall, Devon, Austl
Petherick -Devon, Cornwall
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Paulin -Northumberland, Scotland, Australia
Trimmer - Hampshire, Austl
Russell - Kent, London, Austl
Harrison - Westmorland, Northumberland, London, Austl
Lewin - London, Surrey, Austl
Ludgater - London, Surrey
Thornborough/Hadath - Westmorland, Cornwall, Devon, Lancs
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Logan EVANS - Howell County, Missouri
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 June 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
I've not yet found anything, either.   :-\

If he had siblings, were you able to find any of their obituaries that might mention if John was deceased at the time of their passing?

In 1900, Hannah was the mother of 10 children, 5 still living.  Do you know where her children were buried; could they have been buried in the same cemetery as John?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 June 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

When/where born as this helps researchers especially where middle names or even forenames are listed by initials only.

J L Evans/John L Evans/J Logan Evans/John Evans.......

Do you know his occupation/where he worked as sometimes employers put memorials in papers?

The more info. you can provide the more likely someone may be able to help.

Annie

Added....Newspaper articles are usually charged per letter i.e. sometimes initials only would appear to save cost.
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 June 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
Lisa and Rosinish:  Thank you both for responding to my query.

John Logan EVANS was a farmer.  We have not been able to track his siblings (only know Elizabeth).  I have gone through each of the six known children (we think daughter Serrilda died before 1900 as she is not on the census and no marriage can be located for her - of course neither can a death!).  We have the burials of all but Serrilda and son Ambros Fred.  John Logan is not listed at any of those cemeteries.  We assume all the other children were buried somewhere in Howell County, but we cannot locate the family in 1870 (when all we know is John and Hannah's names, the other children, if any living are unknown and would be on this census), so that's not a positive.

John Logan EVANS was born May 1836 Rockcastle County, Kentucky to Sewel and Martha GENTRY EVANS aka Patsey.  We have him with his parents in the 1850 and 1860 Rockcastle Co. KY census.  In 1905 at the marriage of son Nathan, Hannah gave her consent as he was a minor.  John Logan had given consent to the earlier marriages of their children. Makes me wonder if he had died by 1905, or perhaps too ill. 

Again thank you for your responses. 
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 17 01:30 BST (UK) »
If the mother gave consent to the minor marriage, I think that may indicate that the father was probably deceased  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 17 20:53 BST (UK) »
1860 Rockcastle County Census
Listed are Sowell Evans and his family, including George? Abbott, age 5.

Above this family is G. ? Abbott and his family, including Jonathan Abbott, age 80.

On the same page are other Evans, including Molly Evans, age 65.

Sowell Evans, Molly Evans, Jonathan Abbott and G ? Abbott were all born in North Carolina(?).

Have you tried to track down the Abbott's in 1870, in case Sewel and his family were living near them?  Is there a chance that the families could have "returned" to North Carolina c1870?

Just throwing ideas out there since the Evans have not yet been found in 1870.   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 June 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
You may have already checked this out, but I tried to compare 1860's neighbours' names to see if I could find them in 1870, hoping that Evans may be nearby and mistranscribed in 1870.  Millin Proctor, age 18, and two of his family members and some Fish families are still living in Rockcastle (District 1) in 1870.  I only searched "back" a few images, but I don't see the Evans nor Abbotts, so either I didn't search enough images, or they left the area prior to 1870?

Update:  You most likely know this, but little George Abbott from the 1860 census appears to be with his parents in 1870 in Glades District, Pulaski, Kentucky.  Apologies if this is not the correct George - I just popped back her for a moment and haven't taken the time to verify this.   ;)

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 10 June 17 23:40 BST (UK) »
Lisa and Annie:  You are both absolutely wonderful and I truly appreciate all you have done to help me with this difficult line.  Guess what I found just this very minute - Sewell's (Sowel's) death! In Daviess County, KY - just as you I was throwing the net wider and lo and behold there was an entry for his Probate - actually an Administrator's Bond and is names his two sons John and Gentry.  11 April 1870 - so now we know why Sewell does not appear on the 1870 census!  It states that both John and Gentry are resident in Daviess County, so I will take a look on that census to see if I can locate them. Perhaps some of John's missing children will appear.  Gentry did not marry until 1887 and had no children. 
Annie, I agree with you - I'm sure John Logan EVANS was gone by 1905, I wonder if it will take as long to find his death as Sewell's has. ;)
Again, so sincerely thank you both.  I'd be grateful to hear if anything else should pop out at you.
Glenys
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 11 June 17 00:14 BST (UK) »
Great find!

I wonder if he passed away in 1869 or 1870?  If it was 1870, perhaps there could be a 1870 federal census mortality schedule that lists his name?  (I am not familiar with these census returns, so perhaps it would not be of any help even if one is found.)

I'll check back here later tonight, I have to step away again.