Author Topic: “The Squatter’s Daughter(s)”: A learner’s tale, and an invitation to play.  (Read 2140 times)

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile

Something for a wet day… or for bored restorers.

On February 11 this year I found out that a photo I had long had amongst my mother’s effects was of my great grandfather and his five daughters. It needed restoring. I then discovered that my laptop, now three years old, had a dodgy copy of Photoshop Elements (version 6). So I scanned the photo and started learning the program, beginning my first restore on February 12.

Of course now I’m addicted. I have to have a daily fix.

The original photo and one of my many attempts at a restore are posted below.

While working on the photo I looked for clues to the date, the occasion and the place. 

James died in August 1910. The girl seated on the extreme right of the photo was called Zillah - because her older siblings were named alphabetically and the mother died giving birth to Zillah (May 21, 1899). (Oh, and Zillah was the thirteenth child - key Twilight Zone theme!)

Despite looking like a sultry teenager, Zillah must have been much younger. James died when Zillah was only 11 years old.  And you can see from her size, and her bow and pigtails - as opposed to her sisters’ pompadours - that Zillah was only a kid. I’d estimate - from her size and from comparing her looks to photos of one of my own granddaughters at a similar age - that Zillah was only about 7 or 8 in the photo, thus dating it to around 1906/7.

Are there any other clues to in the photo? What was the occasion? I have details of births, deaths and marriages of her family members and none occurred during the likely time of the photo. But they had many cousins where they lived (Patrick’s Plain - now Singleton - in New South Wales) all from large families, so it could have been a cousin’s baptism, marriage or funeral.

And what about the things James and Zillah are holding? Is it a church sheet of some sort in James’s hand? A title deed? No, too small for that. I can make out “8 8” I think on what looks like the back of the card (?). And in Zillah’s hand, is it a school writing book - but didn’t they use slates in those days? To my eyes it also looks like an old autograph book - but that doesn’t really make much sense - or does it? What would be the occasion for those items, for everyone being all dressed up and the photo being about the father and the girls? After all, James also had 7 surviving sons in the 1900s.

I was going to pose the allocation of a date as a question for Rootschatters, but a few days ago, after dismissing family events (BDMs) for a likely date, I started googling around with the idea that perhaps they were having their picture taken before heading off to some show or other - an opera or a play perhaps.

I thought, was it possible to find out what shows were put on in Singleton in the late 1900s. Were shows put on in Singleton? Indeed, was it possible to find out when and where and what shows would have been on in Australia in the late 1900s?

Amongst other things, I came up with a play called “The Squatter’s Daughter”, which had debuted in Melbourne in February 1907 before going to Sydney, then touring Australia over the next three years.

How appropriate, I thought. Could “The Squatter’s Daughter” give the answer to a photo of a farmer and his daughters? Could that play have been performed in Singleton? Hardly likely… although Singleton perhaps loomed a little larger back then than it does these days. Or maybe the family had travelled to Newcastle - not that far away - to see a show.

I took to Trove (the Australian newspaper archive) and had a “You-bloody-little-beauty!” moment when I found an article in the Singleton Argus for Saturday 16 November 1907. This is how it starts:

“ ‘The Squatters’ Daughter.’
“To-night, at the hall of the Mechanics’ Institute, a realistic drama, with the above title, will be produced by William Anderson’s famous dramatic organisation…”

In 1907 “The Squatter’s Daughter” was the most successful Australian play to date. Co-written by Bert Bailey under a pseudonym, it was later made into two movies. (Of course Bert Bailey himself went on to even bigger things, being best known as Dad Rudd, star of the many “On Our Selection”/“Dad and Dave” plays and movies.)

So it is quite possible the photo was taken in Singleton on 16 November 1907 before the Beattie family went on to the Mechanics’ Institute to see this renowned play. The items in James’s and Zillah’s hands, perhaps a program/playbill and an autograph book, may have been theirs or they may have been the photographer’s props, but they certainly provided clues.

An Invitation to Play:
Below is the original photo and below that one of my many restore attempts.

There is nothing on the back and the only thing I can make out on the front is an “A” and a possible “T” or “F” in the bottom right corner. But, thanks again to Trove, I found there was a photographer named A F Saunders of John St, Singleton, who operated there from July 1900 and into the 1920s. Saunders advertised almost daily in the local news section of the Singleton Argus, often right under stories or advertisements for shows being presented at the Mechanics’ Institute.

Ain’t it wonderful how they come alive again when you find out more about them!

Please feel free to have a play with either image if you wish. James was brown haired and blue eyed. I don’t know the girls’ colouring.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One from me...

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
Wow, there's nothing I can add to the excellent restores that you and HandyPandy have already done. And I personally like the look of B&W/sepia photos so colouring them is (with a few exceptions) not really my thing.

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Great job, Handypandy! Thank you.

And Mike Morrell, thank you for your kind comments.

Cheers, Peter.
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Great photo - fine group of daughters there!

- hideous hairdo's  (how does one spell Hairdo in the plural?) on the women behind (but I bet they thought they were the bees knees!) - specially the one in the middle   ;D ;D ;D  I have photos of my grandmothers sisters with similar coiffures!  ::) ;D

I like the old sepia 'colours' too. 

I would guess Edwardian . . . Very similar to photos of my family from that era.

Wiggy

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline aus*jen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi McGroger,   Lovely photo, it looks Edwardian to me but the experts will give you an
                    accurate date.  Have you considered that the lady wearing glasses with her
                    hands on James' chair may not be a daughter?  She looks more mature to me.
                    Have looked at the BDM's for NSW and could only find 4 daughters for James
                    Beatrice 1882, Eveline 1886, Gertrude 1889 and Zillah 1899.  Is it possible that
                    the young girl on the extreme right of the photo could be Gertrude as she looks
                    older than 8 years to me.  Maybe Zillah is not in this photograph. Perhaps the lady
                    standing behind James is his wife Mary and the photo was taken earlier.

Boland   NSW, Australia
Gibbs   S.Aust. & Queensland
Jennings NSW, Australia
Page  Coventry UK, Queensland Aust.
Sellars (Sellard) Gloucestershire
Kirby  Lechlade, Gloucestershire
Hampshire  Stepney, Middlesex & Hampshire
Goddard,  Isle of Wight
Cushen, Isle of Wight
Keys,  Tyrone Ireland & NSW Australia

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
I think I agree with Jen, before reading your post I thought the lady behind the chair was the mother, certainly looks older than 19. And the seated girl looks more like 11 or 12 to me, so possibly taken earlier than you think? (Is she wearing eyeliner?)

Edited: looking again, maybe she is a little younger, but older than 8 I would think.  ;)

It is a lovely photo.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
 Hi, Wiggy. Yes, those hairdos are something different. I think they were transitioning from a “low pompadour” style to a “hair curtain” which probably says it all!

Thanks for your thoughts, aus*gen and maddys52, but the girls are fairly well documented. Florence is hard to find in the indexes because one “t” was left off “Beattie”. She was born in 1887. the photo could have been taken a little later, but not much.
Here are the girls again, in probably late 1915, with their surviving brothers. Don’t they look different, not all dressed up in their finery!

Standing, left to right: Gertrude (1889), Albert (1881), Beatrice (1882), Charles (1883), Evelyn (1886). Florence (1887), Harry [Henry] (1890), Zillah (1899). Seated: James jnr (1892), Joseph (1896) and Ernest (1893). [Deceased were David (1884-1891), and Edward Leslie (1895-1915) who died at Gallipoli].

Anyone wanting to have a play with the WW1 picture, please feel free.

Cheers, Peter.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
Doesn't the change of hair style make a huge difference!   

You are Lucky to have these photos Peter.      :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.