Author Topic: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW  (Read 22699 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: MCDONALD of Rouchel, NSW
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 25 June 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie.  :)

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline rosball

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • John Scott Henderson 1853 Scotland -1919 Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 25 June 17 12:31 BST (UK) »
Ahh I see now Jamjar,

Was trying to work out the generation gap, so.....

Son John (15) b c1824

Francis Finlay McDonald buried 1958 age 90 b c1868 (may be the son of John)?

Annie
Yes definitely Annie.
John jun was a son of John and Jane and his obit saying that family came from Inverness in 1837 etc made it clear he was correct person from correct family.  His obit also said he had a brother Frank on a property "Bon Accord". And the obit I posted for Mrs f f McDonald said she was from the property Bon Accord.

ros

Adding : memoriam from Frank of "Bon Accord" to his wife who died 30 June 1928 https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/978773
Let's not tolerate bullying !
Herrington Kent  Henderson Scotland Kerr Scotland Reston Scotland  Smith Scotland  Kellow Cornwall  Doney Cornwall  Wadeson Lancashire  Whiteley Yorkshire Gregan Ireland

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 25 June 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
Just looking at the ages of the children on immigration....

There's a wee bit of a gap between Margaret (14) b c1825 & Catherine (8 ) b c1831....

Just a thought...

Is it possible this may have been a 2nd marriage?

Is there any reference to Catherine being John's mother?

Does anyone know the religion of the family?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline EBrand

• RootsChat Member
  • Isabella Waldeck, dau of George and Isabella Brand
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 25 June 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Just looking at the ages of the children on immigration....

There's a wee bit of a gap between Margaret (14) b c1825 & Catherine (8 ) b c1831....

Just a thought...

Is it possible this may have been a 2nd marriage?

Is there any reference to Catherine being John's mother?

Does anyone know the religion of the family?

Annie

Protestant, according to the microfiche that the NSW Archives has produced. Not sure of any further denomination though. According to the findmypast.co records, Finlay married Catherine/Katharine in 1819, the same year that Farquhar (Ferchan) was christened. It lists Ferchan's father as Finlay, so this is most likely still only one marriage. Apparently they had a child after they arrived in Australia as well, so not sure that the age gap means too much. :)

It mentions in one of John's obits of 1908 that he was  "one of several brothers who arrived in New South Wales nearly 70 years ago with their parents from Inverness shire, Scotland."

It is probably safe to assume that Catherine was his mother.
Lillis (IRE)
McKenna (IRE)
Minehan (IRE)
Prest (ENG)
Gowland (ENG)
Ashby (ENG)
Brand (SCOT)
McLean (SCOT)
McDonald (SCOT)

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 26 June 17 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

Death of a Mary McNeven 12207/1914 father Finlay mother  Catherine   Armidale
  There is also a Probate  date of death 04/08/1914

Muss

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 26 June 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
From NSW State Archives online indexes, and their free to search digitised passenger list:
A chap named Farquhar McDONALD, a shepherd of Inverness, and wife Mary of Inverness, arrived as assisted immigrants on the St Helena in 1854.  Farquhar was aged 21 and Mary was aged 25. 
Here’s the link to the passenger list images, scroll through to December 1854. https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/assisted-immigrants-digital-shipping-lists

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 26 June 17 01:22 BST (UK) »
JM,

He can't be Ferchan as he arrived 1839 aged 18 i.e. b c1821

This Farquhar aged 21 in 1854 would be born c1833

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 26 June 17 01:49 BST (UK) »
Agree Annie,  but that's one more Farquhar McDONALD in NSW at same time as our OPs chap, and we need to consider that as we progress the quest.   I think some official transcriptions of NSW BDM events may be needed to help sort, particularly for the couple our OP asked about in the Opening Post, as I continue to wonder if the info I have posted re the likely sightings is actually relevant. 

Finlay and Catherine MCDONALD's burial information:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVB6-LHKB
and
Also, I have been told that Finlay and Catherine were buried in a roadside grave, possibly the reason why I cannot find mention of their burial anywhere. Further, I can't find a newspaper article that mentions either their death or their burial.

.... I do know the supposed death dates for Finlay and Catherine, and that is the 29th of Nov 1866 and the 19th of November 1868. ...

NB NSW BDM death certificates include details of burial (or cremation) and have done so since civil registration commenced in 1856.  I would expect a roadside burial to be noted on the dc.  BUT ... if there was a coroner's enquiry, in the second half of the 19th C it is possible that the burial order was not followed up with a formal registration of the death, particularly if in rural NSW where due to sparse population, it may be several years between inquests and not everyone remembered the formal paperwork processes.   

Hi,

Using the “Date of Event” option at NSW BDM online index, I can find that index has the following for 17 – 18 -19 November 1868.

Registered Scone district:
Female MCDONALD (and as Macdonald), parents as William and Ann #6518   

Registered Maitland district
Catherine MCDONALD, (and as Macdonald) father as John, died Maitland  #4874

Registered Sydney district
Catherine McDONALD, (and as Macdonald) parents as James and Bedelia  #464

Using same option re dates  (Nov 1866 etc)
Finley MCDONALD (and as Macdonald), aged 70 years, died Scone, registered Scone #6568.

I would expect that these official records (or official transcriptions of them) would include details of their burials.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 26 June 17 01:49 BST (UK) »
An online tree has Mary as marrying Donald in 1846 at age 16. It also states that she was one of 8 children.

Jamjar

Hi

Death of a Mary McNeven 12207/1914 father Finlay mother  Catherine   Armidale
  There is also a Probate  date of death 04/08/1914

Muss
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams