Author Topic: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation  (Read 11631 times)

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LDS - Family History Microfilm Discontinuation
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 07 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks smudwhisk

I don't feel that I should phone before every visit if I go there 2 or 3 times a week. 

DSusdan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »

Depends how far you have to travel.  The FHC I use is a 40 minute drive away and only opens for 3 hours at a time.  Waiting for them to open and then to travel there reduces the time available by almost an hour.  I have been phoned by the FHC in the past to say they weren't opening as they know how far I travel but it tends to depend on the volunteer and the circumstances of the need to close as on another occasion I've got there and found they were shut.

The point I was making was the Family History Centers are staffed by volunteers freely giving their time to help others.
Why should we expect them to remember to phone someone if they cannot get to the FHC to open it or if they have to close early for some reason.

They have enough on their hands without having that added burden.
I know of at least two FHC that have closed due to the public's attitude to them, some people seem to think they are like libraries paid for through taxes, they don't seem to realise how much of the running costs of the FHC is paid out of their own pockets including phone calls!

For example-
The Church pays for the basic building and set-up costs and similar-

Space in the church meetinghouse or another facility
Utilities, Internet access, Authorized furnishings, equipment, computers, printers, and replacements No-charge publications and materials from Distribution Services

The FHC (i.e. local LDS members) pays for things like –

Telephone expenses, Supplies, such as printer toner or ink, paper, postage, forms, and so forth, Surge protectors, uninterruptible power supplies, and connecting cables for computers and printers, Staff training materials created by the center, Reference materials, Repair and maintenance of equipment that is not the authorized brand and model, Expenses anticipated for discovery experiences or activities held at the center

Note I am not a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints but I can see no reason why they should have to pay (though I am sure many LDS members would happily do so) to phone members of the public, I strongly feel that to expect them to do so is rather selfish.
I am sorry if this offends and I also feel that those people who expect such service do not realise just what they are actually asking.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 07 January 18 19:50 GMT (UK) »
The point I was making was the Family History Centers are staffed by volunteers freely giving their time to help others.
Why should we expect them to remember to phone someone if they cannot get to the FHC to open it or if they have to close early for some reason.

Guy I never said I expected them to do so, nor do I think jazzycat did either as he/she was just making the point that if you leave a phone number with them they may try and contact you.  I was just highlighting the fact that sometimes they do and sometimes they don't depending on the volunteer in charge on a specific day and the circumstances.

In the past the FHCs did make a small charge for printouts made from the internet.  This had to stop some years back because HMRC I understand wanted the centres to become VAT registered (I was told this by the person who ran the centre), something that the LDS didn't want to do.  Its unfortunate but I personally try and avoid printing out anything so as not to put upon the FHCs generosity in making the facilities available.  In the past I've paid for a number of films to remain at the centre on indefinite loan which has made them available for others to make use of too.

Many long term users of FHCs like myself are well aware of the situation regarding the funding of the centres and do not need a long lecture from yourself regarding this.  Its unfortunate that you always seem to think negatively of people whose posts may not be to your liking.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:19 GMT (UK) »
To avoid phoning they could take email addresses from everyone (most people do have email addresses these days) and send one email to all their "customers" to warn of closures.

I used to attend the Centre some years back when they charged for printouts and was quite happy to pay 10p per sheet.  I was rather surprised when they say I can print out for free now, but never use the printers and scanners, preferring to download to a memory stick.  I have, however, donated paper for others to use.  They offer free access to Ancestry, Find My Past etc but I don't take advantage of this, preferring to pay subscriptions to these sites so I can access them all the time at home.  I have also helped by indexing hundreds upon hundreds of records for them and will continue to do so in the future.

In view of this, I think letting us know they cannnot open for any reason is quite reasonable!

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 07 January 18 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Or they could update their Webpage, Twitter and/or Facebook

Not that I'd ever think of looking there
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 07 January 18 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes they could take email adresses and be liable to register under the Data Protection Act with all the costs and regulation that involves.
They could also update their website if the particular volunteer had access to the passwords and the skills to enable them to do that.

Strange that all the suggestions fall on the FHC and their volunteers rather than the patron who wishes to avail himself/herself of a facility provided by the generosity of the LDS members.

It must be my age or something but I still feel that it is completely wrong to expect others to put themsleves out for ones own benefit.
But that is my problem.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 07 January 18 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh, come off it

A tweet or a facebook update would take 60 seconds max, and would benefit multiple potential users, who therefore wouldn't have to overload the beleaguered volunteer
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 07 January 18 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I am a volunteer at the local Family History Centre.

Some reasons the FHC may be unexpectedly closed.

One of the volunteers is sick and unable to work (and at short notice a replacement has not yet been found) The rule is that there must be at least 2 volunteers on duty for safety reasons.

Weather - our centre is not on a main road and the snow plow may not have cleared before opening time. Some of our volunteers have to travel a long way and are not comfortable driving in snow.
The electricity may be off for various reasons, or the internet may be down. Though we do not leave  but hope it will be back on soon!

The volunteers for the first shift are usually there half an hour before opening time to vacuum and dust etc. and will answer the phone if any callers.

We do have a website and if we know in advance of a closure then it will be posted there.

Offline jazzycat12

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 07 January 18 21:58 GMT (UK) »
So you see, Guy, that not all volunteers are computer illiterate and unable to post a message on social media sites.

Smudwhisk and I have also TRIED to point out the various ways we show our appreciation to the LDS Church who provide this excellent resource but you're ignoring them.  How else can we show our appreciation other than buying microfilms, donating paper (or other consumables) and indexing records?  I have also helped with the cleaning when I've arrived early.  If I was a millionaire I would help financially but most users of the Centres are not, so we can only help in small ways.  We're not all selfish freeloaders.