Author Topic: Kent Marriage Licences 1750 Onwards  (Read 16061 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Kent Marriage Licences 1750 Onwards
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 October 22 00:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Robin, fits perfectly ;)

Genealogy does make the world small doesn't it! Fancy being distantly connected through the Lancefields. I have not followed George Stevens & Mary Lancefield's line down past the baptisms of their 6 children in Ramsgate. Where does the Harlow name link in? If you ever need or want any info on the Lancefields let me know.

Mary's half brother John Lancefield (1747/48-1812) who married Ann Harrisson was a master mariner. He was rather prolific as a Captain and ship owner, as well as a coal merchant, and was the Mayor of Faversham in 1801. The couple had 6 children, 2 ended up in Sweden, and one (my direct relative) John Lancefield (b 1785) followed in his father's footsteps also becoming a master mariner. I descend from John's daughter Frances Lancefield (1814-1897) who emigrated to Australia in the 1840s and settled in Brisbane, Queensland.

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hey Robin,

I've just come across one more marriage licence in Kent as below:

John Rucke & Frances Lancefield married 2 Nov 1773 Charing, Kent, by licence

Would you be able to check for me?

Thanks ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Harlow One-Name Study

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 October 22 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

The entry in the 1751-1780 Canterbury Marriage Licences - Page 240:

John Rucke of Throwley bach[elor] & Fran[ces] Lancefield of Charing sp[inster], at C[haring]. 1 Nov 1773

Is this the Frances Lancefield b. 1750 in St Lawrence, Nr. Ramsgate, Kent, England?

Robin
Worldwide One-Name Study (ONS) of the Harlow surname and the surname variants Harlowe, Harlo & Harloe + maybe Arlow

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 20 October 22 07:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robin ;)

Yes it is...Frances Lancefield (who married John Ruck) was a sister to John Lancefield (who married Ann Harrisson) and a half sister to Mary Lancefield (who married George Stevens)

I am intrigued to know how the Harlow name ties in....can you enlighten me?

Jenny

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 25 September 23 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Robin

I am hoping that nearly a year later you are still here on Rootschat.  I wondered if you could look up the following marriage licence.  I have the marriage from Findmypast from the East Peckham parish register but wonder if the licence gives me any more information. 
Richard Bodkin of Yalding and Mary Fisher of East Peckham on 13 May 1771

Thank you very much if you even read this.
Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 25 September 23 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerryb

Yep, I am still here.

I can't find a Canterbury Marriage Licence entry for Richard Bodkin or Mary Fisher and so I would guess it may be a Rochester Marriage Licence.

There is a 1771 entry for William Bodkin; a shoemaker in Wye & a 1769 entry for a Thomas Bodkin; a grocer in Dover.

Robin

Worldwide One-Name Study (ONS) of the Harlow surname and the surname variants Harlowe, Harlo & Harloe + maybe Arlow

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 25 September 23 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply Robin.  It was worth a try and thank you for William and Thomas, I will store them.

Kerryb

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 25 September 23 15:59 BST (UK) »
Kerryb

The entries for Bodkin surname in the 1751-1780 Marriage Licences:

Page: 31 - Mich[ael] Stone of Marden yeo[man] wid[ower] & Hannah Bodkin of the s[ame], at M[arden] or Cath. 24 Jul 1752

Page: 48 - Tho[ma]s Bodkin of St Mary Dover Husb[andman] bach[elor] (24) & Eliz[abeth] Mawkins of the s[ame] sp[inster] (24), at St Mary D[over]. 12 Jan 1754

Page: 108 - [the index says there is a Bodkin on this page but I can't find it]

Page: 138 - John Gaskin of Bockingfold (Entered at 'Kent'. There is a Bockenfield in Northumberland) bach[elor] (33) & Ann Bodkin of Marden sp[inster], at M[arden]. 23 Apr 1763. Nath[aniel] Allen of M[arden] bond.

Page: 169 - Tho[ma]s Bodkin of St Mary Dover grocer wid[ower] & Eliz[abeth] Lampart of the s[ame] sp[inster], at St Mary D[over]. 10 Jun 1769. John Stiles of D[over] gent[leman] bond.

Page: 223 - W[illia]m Bodkin of Wye shoemaker bach[elor] & Sarah Wyman of the s[ame] sp[inster], at W[ye]. 27 Nov 1771

Robin

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 11:44 BST (UK) »
Kerryb

The entries for Bodkin surname in the 1751-1780 Marriage Licences:

Page: 31 - Mich[ael] Stone of Marden yeo[man] wid[ower] & Hannah Bodkin of the s[ame], at M[arden] or Cath. 24 Jul 1752

Page: 48 - Tho[ma]s Bodkin of St Mary Dover Husb[andman] bach[elor] (24) & Eliz[abeth] Mawkins of the s[ame] sp[inster] (24), at St Mary D[over]. 12 Jan 1754

Page: 108 - [the index says there is a Bodkin on this page but I can't find it]

Page: 138 - John Gaskin of Bockingfold (Entered at 'Kent'. There is a Bockenfield in Northumberland) bach[elor] (33) & Ann Bodkin of Marden sp[inster], at M[arden]. 23 Apr 1763. Nath[aniel] Allen of M[arden] bond.

Page: 169 - Tho[ma]s Bodkin of St Mary Dover grocer wid[ower] & Eliz[abeth] Lampart of the s[ame] sp[inster], at St Mary D[over]. 10 Jun 1769. John Stiles of D[over] gent[leman] bond.

Page: 223 - W[illia]m Bodkin of Wye shoemaker bach[elor] & Sarah Wyman of the s[ame] sp[inster], at W[ye]. 27 Nov 1771

Robin

Thank you Robin, very much appreciated

Kerry