Author Topic: James McKenzie, Dundee  (Read 9496 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James McKenzie, Dundee
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:04 BST (UK) »
For completeness, assuming nobody was lying about their age, James McKenzie Durham Light Infantry was born in 1862 (his records)..  James McKenzie 93rd Foot was married in 1877 at full age (marriage cert).  The DLI man was 15 at the time!

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD for the rundown & am I right in thinking that..
"(A (another?) James McKenzie joined the 93rd in the early part of 1871 - no details for him"
..Could be him although no way of knowing?
What I was wondering was, would it be possible for someone to enlist in the 93rd in Edinburgh?

I now understand what you mean re your "earlier thought that the answer does not lie in military records stands"

Thanks, so Edinburgh seems to be his correct place of birth.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
The 1871 James McKenzie was, according to the transcription, a new recruit to the 93rd, who had joined at Forres and who, when the Army Worldwide Index was collated, was at the depot in Inverness, presumably awaiting training.  The index is collated from a multitude of sources and one would be hard pressed to get to the original source except in one case that you might like to chase down?  One source was the 1871 census so a James McKenzie in a barracks in Inverness is the target!

As to whether a soldier could be recruited for the 93rd in Edinburgh, undoubtedly.  The local connections, pre the 1881 reforms, played much less of a part in the process, even for the highland regiments who recruited all over UK.  It was done by "roaming" recruiting parties who set up in some building or another to entice men into their regiment (although family ties sometimes came into play).  Look at the other James who came from Dundee and served in a Durham regiment.  The 93rd were stationed in Aberdeen at the beginning of 1871 and moved to Edinburgh in July/August so perhaps they had been recruiting there earlier?  They served in UK (including Ireland) throughout the period in question.

To really clutch at straws, one could note that one of the most common terms of engagement to the army was a twelve year commitment, 7 years with the colours (full time, in uniform wherever the regiment was stationed)  followed by 5 years on the reserve, out of uniform in civilian life but committed to recall in the event of war.  A recruit in 1871 on such an engagement would take his uniform off in 1878 which is when the man in Ireland is reported to have "finished" his service.

Perhaps one last fling at the military side could find the recruits place of birth in the 1871 census? 

I have separately suggested to benchurian that all the jigsaw pieces that relate in anyway to the My Heritage man should be swept from the table and the remaining information reviewed, starting from anything known to be solid.

maxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD for your interesting summary!

I have searched so much I now forget what I've looked at & what I haven't but (from memory) I don't think I found a James MacKenzie in Edinburgh (1871) fitting but that may have been prior to discovering his birthdate was out from the initial date of 1860  ???
I know it was prior to the info. of Thomas McKenzie being a sponsor on son James' baptism or I would have searched for both.

Time to re-check that.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
Had much the same problem myself!

Have you been able to find an  1871 census record in a barracks in Inverness for a James McKenzie of the 93rd, this would at least show his place of birth?

maxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:10 BST (UK) »
Think I've found them now...

MCKENZIE JOHN
685/1 82/ 6
St George
Midlothian

There's a James 15 (1855/56) & Thomas 10 which look to be siblings & possibly a 2nd marriage for John as what appears to be his wife is Elizabeth 48 & there are other siblings so worth OP chasing.

Siblings;

JOHN 18
GILBERT 13
DAVID 10 (twin of Thomas)
JANE 8

Edit to add, it's puzzling James gave his father as John & Thomas but possibly John Thomas was his name?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Have you been able to find an  1871 census record in a barracks in Inverness for a James McKenzie of the 93rd, this would at least show his place of birth?

None on freecen show any in Inverness-shire as born Edinburgh.

Freecen doesn't have Midlothian (1871) to check free  ::)

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 12:42 BST (UK) »
James born Midlothian although still no proof it's the correct person yet;

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VB5S-JG2

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 13:17 BST (UK) »
Hold the fort  ;D

Not found a baptism for James yet but I think this may be his grandparents who he may have been brought up with?

Could this James bap. 1839 be a brother of John?

MCKENZIE JAMES
GEORGE ST

THOMAS MCKENZIE/MARGARET PEARSON FR2422

04/10/1839
685/2 350 509
St Cuthbert's

The John on 1871 with wife Elizabeth being James' father?

Annie