Author Topic: Cynthia Holford (Cynthia Wills or McAarthur) b c1908. Migrated to USA after 1913  (Read 2059 times)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cynthia Holford (Cynthia Wills or McAarthur) b c1908. Migrated to USA after 1913
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:05 BST (UK) »
Not to worry, I have got it

22 Nov 1886
Bethnal green
William Wills 21 bach, florist, 6 Halts Place Hyde Rd Hoxton, father George Wills, publican
Charlotte Webb, 17, spinster, same address, father William Webb, papework decorator?

One witness, who made mark, looks like a Hannah Webb?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cynthia Holford (Cynthia Wills or McAarthur) b c1908. Migrated to USA after 1913
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:08 BST (UK) »
2 New Street Shoreditch
William Webb 33 painter bn Shoreditch
Hannah 32 bn Norwich
Charlotte 11
Richard 6
Mary A  5
Amelia 2
John 7 mths  children bn Shoreditch

1891 family are at 106 Tottenham Rd, Charlotte not there. Others the same, Dad now a decorator.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 June 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
Could this be Mary's death?

Deaths December qtr 1963   
Mary A E Holford  aged 87    St Pancras    5d   439

Births June qtr 1875     
Mary Ann E Webb  Poplar    1c   627 but mmn was Nankivell which does not fit.  MMN should be Watson
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 June 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to both of you. It's much appreciated.

I found the son on the BDM and think I have found his marriage.

I couldn't find a marriage of Mary Ann Webb to Thomas Cove but did find them on the 1911 Census in Haggerston, he was 14 years older than her. He was a painter/decorator like her father so they may have worked together. It is odd that after she married Richard Holford she isn't on the voting register.

As Charlotte was an actress it is little surprise that she shaved a few years off her age (she played  a schoolgirl in 1902 at the age of 33).

I am still tying to locate what happened to the other daughter Dorothy and the origin of the other Holford family members on the 1930s voting register in Camden which is a mystery. I suspect that as he was a seaman maybe Richard Holford had a second common law wife and another family somewhere and his children came to live with him when the mother died.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Dorothy may have dropped her middle name if she married.  Only one death for a Dorothy Zillah born 1893 and that was in the North East and the birth checks out to a different person
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Hi

A Mabel is with Richard on 1939.

Mary A M(abel?) Cove ? (as per Freebmd marriage entry?)

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline deejayEn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've solved the mystery of not finding a marriage for Mary Webb to Thomas Cove, it seems she previously married a William Ferguson who died and so she married Thomas Cove as Mary Ferguson.

Mary AM Cove can't be the Mabel who lived with Richard Holford because she was still married to Thomas Cove until 1930 when he died but a Mabel is listed as living with Richard Holford in Kentish Town as early as 1920. I suspect this is his sister.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Marriages December qtr 1938       
Mary A M Cove/Richard P Holford    Pancras    1b   239   

Marriages June qtr 1895   
William Ferguson      Shoreditch    1c   159    
Mary Ann E Webb     Shoreditch    1c   159

1895 marriage is on Ancestry and shows her as Mary Ann Elizabeth aged 20 father William Walker Webb occ house decorator

Marriages June qtr 1909 

Thomas Charles   Cove     Shoreditch    1c   135    
Mary Ann E Ferguson  Shoreditch    1c   135

1909 marriage is on Ancestry and shows her as Mary Ann Elizabeth Ferguson widow aged 27yrs  father William Walker Webb occ builder

The 1938 marriage to Holford has M as her 3rd christian name but the 1963 death I found earlier must be the right one given her 2 previous marriage entries

Richard's sister Mabel was born in 1877 - how old is the Mabel found on the 1939 register?

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile

I cannot tell you that Richard the details from 1939 of the 2x sisters he is with.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).