Author Topic: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2  (Read 36024 times)

Offline Elicia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query ~ HMS Victory WW2
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 23 March 19 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol,
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Your photos give me hope that there are more out there from other years--who knows? I will keep searching!
Elicia

Offline scotfalco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, recently received the initial section of my Dads service record and it shows he was at HMS Victory 2 in August '41 and again in September '41. I have this photo of him (top left) but not sure when it was taken, likely later on in the war.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Scot and welcome to RootsChat....my Father was there earlier in the year. Thanks for sharing your photo, others who have relatives on this training ship may just recognise their relative.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline scotfalco

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 23:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Scot and welcome to RootsChat....my Father was there earlier in the year. Thanks for sharing your photo, others who have relatives on this training ship may just recognise their relative.
Carol

Like I said, not sure when that was taken but worth getting it out there just in case someone recognises a Father or Grandfather !

Offline Wass

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 09 June 19 01:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Just came across your thread and found it interesting. Have you established now whether HMS Victory was a training ship?

I came across this link on those known to have sailed on HMS Victory, during WWII : https://wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/ships/ship.php?pid=2585 , it might be helpful to you and others seeking answers.

My interest in this is that a couple of my uncles from India were in the British Navy during WWII. Last month I was going through an old diary of another uncle, who had noted that in October 1942 his younger brother travelled to England on a ship called 'Victory'. Another entry says that he received his first letter in December 1942 and mentions his brother's address: HMS Victory via BPO London, England. Would that address be for the ship, or HMS Victory station in Portsmouth? My father only mentioned that his brother was in the Navy and served as a stoker.

As I have just started searching about this, I don't know the differences between the Royal Navy and the Merchant Navy and whether the British/Indian Navy was separate during WWII. So, I am not sure where I can find some information on Indians that served with the British Navy.

Wass

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 09 June 19 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Wass and welcome to Rootschat, my father was on the training ship at Portsmouth so I can't answer your questions but I'm sure there are people on here who may be able to help you.
Good Luck!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 09 June 19 12:13 BST (UK) »

Just found this thread.

My late Father spent some of WW1 at HMS Victory, - it's on his RNR Service Record.

I think that Hugh has already pointed out that it was a shore based Establishment?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 09 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
HMS VICTORY was the RN barracks at Portsmouth. It was not a sea-going ship.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 09 June 19 15:25 BST (UK) »

Thanks for confirming that Hugh.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.