Author Topic: Mary McCourt, born Whitehaven ~1807  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Anne Chan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary McCourt, born Whitehaven ~1807
« on: Thursday 29 June 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
Reading Colin McCourt’s fine book ‘Newhouses revisited’ got me wondering whether my ggg grandmother Mary McCourt was related to the Samuel McCourt who married Elizabeth, the daughter of the campaigner John Unthank, in 1839.  According to the marriage certificate included in the 1st edition of the book, Samuel’s father was John McCourt, the wedding was in St Gregory’s Roman Catholic chapel, and both Samuel and Elizabeth were minors who made their marks.

It seems likely that Samuel’s father was the John McCourt who married Mary Holmes in St Nicholas, Whitehaven on 22 Jan 1810, and was buried at Holy Trinity, Whitehaven on 28 Nov 1830, aged 47.

I have been unable to find a christening for Mary McCourt, but she seems to have been born about 1807. She married Peter MacClorey (many spellings of this name!) on 12 Oct 1828, St Bees, Whitehaven. The couple appear in the Whitehaven censuses from 1841 to 1871, which show that he was from Ireland, Mary was born Whitehaven. He was buried at St Begh’s Roman Catholic Priory in 1874, and Mary, aged 69, was buried there 23 Feb 1875.

I would like to find out about Mary’s parents, and whether she was related to Samuel McCourt

Offline CarterDockerty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary McCourt, born Whitehaven ~1807
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 January 22 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I realise its been a while since you posted this and I'm hoping you're still around on here.  I'm tracking the McCourt family tree back - Samuel McCourt and Elizabeth Unthank look to be my husbands 3 x great grand parents.  I have Elizabeth as the son of John Unthank a miner who was killed in an accident with 20 other men in 1819.  I can't get hold of the book that you reference at the moment as I'm not in the UK right now.  But wondered if we could chat and share info? 

My interest tracks back through Samuel and Elizabeth's son Gilbert McCourt - and his second wife Ann Brannon, who begat Elizabeth McCourt who married John Dockerty and then my husband's grandfather. 

I have their daughter Mary as marrying a Thomas Burney (and while married she was a witness at one of the family weddings).

Hope to be able to connect.  Cheers, Sarah
Dockerty (Co. Durham and Co. Mayo, Ireland) - Dougherty, Doherty + Curran (Co. Durham and Co Monaghan, Ireland) + McCourt (Co Durham and Cumberland), + Unthank (Cumberland) + Ellison (Co Durham), Williams (Gloucestershire + Co Durham)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 22 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage record on freereg?

Mary MCCOURT to Peter MACCLORY   Marriage   12 Oct 1828   Cumberland   
St. Bees : Priory Church of St Mary and St Bega - both single.

Witness1   John MCCOURT
Witness2   Hugh Brett DUFF

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 22 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Other marriages at St. Bees : Priory Church of St Mary and St Bega :  Witness John McCourt

Elizabeth MCCOURT to Daniel MCQUINLEY 23 Oct 1820

Bridget MCCOURT to James PILKINGTON 10 Nov 1828

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Anne Chan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 22 20:28 GMT (UK) »
What a surprise to receive a reply to my post, which I'd completely forgotten about! I bought my copy of 'Newhouses revisited' from Whitehaven Record Office when I spent a day there in 2016, but copies are available on ebay. The book includes a chapter on the Unthank family, and looking more carefully at this I see that the reformer was actually Thomas Unthank, the brother of John Unthank. As Sarah said, John died in the 1819 Kells pit disaster, shortly after the birth of his daughter Elizabeth, who later married Samuel McCourt. I found 10 McCourt children born between 1840 and 1852, all with MMN Unthank, so presumably the children of Samuel and Elizabeth, including a Gilbert born in 1856.
I took an Ancestry DNA test last year, and I have matches to ancestors of 2 of Gilbert McCourt's siblings: Isabella (1840-1911) and Joseph (1845-1922). So it does seem likely that my 3g grandmother Mary McCourt (who married Peter MacClorey in 1828) was related to Samuel McCourt. (I initially thought that Mary McClorey, nee McCourt, died in 1875, but I have more recently found a Mary McClurry in the 1881 and 1891 censuses, dying in 1892.)
The 1841 census shows Mary McCourt (c1788-1859) living with sons Joseph (b c1826) and John (b c1828); in 1851 she is with son Joseph and daughter-in-law Augusta.
So were Mary, Samuel, Joseph and John all siblings, the children of John McCourt and Mary Holmes, or was the relationship more complicated? Baptism records might show, but they're not easily available, though it's good to know that there are some Whitehaven records on FreeReg (for which I do a bit of transcribing). One family tree says that John McCourt (1784-1830) came from Ireland, so they may well have been Catholics. I know that Mary's husband Peter MacClorey came from Ireland and was buried at St Begh’s Roman Catholic Priory. Perhaps another trip to Whitehaven Record Office would help?

Offline CarterDockerty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello there!
Thanks for clarifying the John/Thomas Unthank - I'll now add Thomas to my list as John's brother

"The 1841 census shows Mary McCourt (c1788-1859) living with sons Joseph (b c1826) and John (b c1828); in 1851 she is with son Joseph and daughter-in-law Augusta."

I have the Mary McCourt above as originally Mary Holmes, who married John Mccourt (and who I have as having at least Bridget b1811, Samuel b1819, Joseph B1825 and JohnB1827) - and also have her living with John and Joseph in 1841, and with Joseph and Augusta in 1851.  As she's 25-30 years older than John and Joseph.

"So were Mary, Samuel, Joseph and John all siblings, the children of John McCourt and Mary Holmes, or was the relationship more complicated? Baptism records might show, but they're not easily available, though it's good to know that there are some Whitehaven records on FreeReg (for which I do a bit of transcribing)."

I do think that the Mary who married Peter Maclurry (choose your spelling, that looks like a fun lot of options!) could be a sibling to Bridget, Samuel, Joseph and John. 

I found that the Cumbria Family History Society Forum was really helpful on another point I was looking at. - the Forum is where I got some help (as a free member) and a very helpful person on the forum, Petra found some details from "Nev Ramsden transcriptions of St Begh's" - which might also help. 
Dockerty (Co. Durham and Co. Mayo, Ireland) - Dougherty, Doherty + Curran (Co. Durham and Co Monaghan, Ireland) + McCourt (Co Durham and Cumberland), + Unthank (Cumberland) + Ellison (Co Durham), Williams (Gloucestershire + Co Durham)

Offline Anne Chan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 22 19:54 GMT (UK) »
You're right - it was great fun looking for McClorey, etc, etc, with so many possible spellings - wild cards help nowadays!
I've just noticed a burial I saw when I was at Whitehaven Record Office: William son of John and Mary McCourt, New Houses, buried 2 Aug 1813 at Holy Trinity Church, Whitehaven , aged 10 days. This looks like another (short-lived) sibling of Samuel McCourt, etc. 
By the way, I have now found 2 more McCourt children with MMN Unthank, making a total of 12 children born between 1840 and 1861, and most of them seem to have survived early childhood.
Many thanks, Sarah, for your mention of the Cumbria Family History Society Forum - I will try contacting them to see if they have any suggestions for verifying that my Mary is the daughter of John McCourt and Mary Holmes.
Anne

Offline CarterDockerty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 February 22 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ann!  I'm tracking them all on ancestry - the account is in the name of my husband as his last name is more distinct than mine!!  https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/164679048/person/242223607075/facts  I've got 12 McCourts on there... I just wish they'd have picked a different name every now and then!!