Author Topic: Ephraim and Mary Ann Haines  (Read 3264 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ephraim and Mary Ann Haines
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 July 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
The tree - again stressing that no links shown to verify information - implies that it is the same William.

Maria Haines marriage to William Harmer December 1854, Adelaide. She dies 1862, Houghton, SA and William Harmer remarries later.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 July 17 03:58 BST (UK) »
Again, from my armchair online index searching I cannot find ANY children for our OP’s couple who married in May 1855 at Tea Tree Gully.   

Perhaps Martin could explain the source he used to confirm the four names. 

https://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

There’s  Maria HAINES marrying in 1854, Adelaide district, husband as William HARMER and there’s SA births for two likely children to that couple:
1857, Mary Ann, father as William HARMER, mother as Maria HAINES, Highercombe District
1858, Ephraim, father as William HARMER, mother as Maria HAINES, Highercombe District
Possibly an infant death, 1858 Mary Ann HARMER, with father as William HARMER, Highercombe District.

I wonder if there's been some confusion over time in handwritten family documents perhaps someone a couple of generations ago thought that Ephraim and Mary Ann HAINES were the parents rather than William and Maria HARMER. 

There’s a Mary Ann HAINES marrying in 1859, Highercombe District, husband as John HARMER.

There’s a Mary Ann HARMER marrying in 1855, Adelaide District, husband as Ephraim HAINES. 

From Trove http://trove.nla.gov.au/  (free to search)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/49829879  . Register 28 Oct 1859 
Mary Ann, youngest daughter of William HAINES, gardener of TeatreeGully,  John, youngest son of Edward HARMER.   

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/48552537 Register 19 June 1854 
Highercombe District Council
William Haines … appointed public poundkeeper of yards lately erected on Section 5500, Teatree Gully,

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/207018769 Adelaide Times 20 Oct 1854
Impounded at the Public Pound, Tea-tree Gully
….. William Haines, jun., Poundkeeper.

“jun.,” would be usual abbreviation for “Junior”, indicating that there’s also a William Haines “SENIOR” present at Tea-tree Gully at that time.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/207072978  Adelaide Times 24 Aug 1855
Meeting in the Highercombe District
…Mr William Haines, sen., seconded the proposition.

“sen.,” would be the usual abbreviation for “Senior”   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 July 17 04:24 BST (UK) »
From Haines family Bible extract;
Ephraim Haines and Mary Ann Harmer adopted a William Harmer born 7 Nov 1860 from a William Harmer and Maria Haines on the 2 Dec 1863.
Ephraim is brother to Maria.
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 July 17 07:35 BST (UK) »
From Haines family Bible extract;
Ephraim Haines and Mary Ann Harmer adopted a William Harmer born 7 Nov 1860 from a William Harmer and Maria Haines on the 2 Dec 1863.
Ephraim is brother to Maria.

This is confusing  ???
You already have the information we have found and this indicates that Ephraim and Mary Ann adopted his sister's child.
However, in your first post, you have listed Ephraim's siblings but with the parents as Ephraim and Mary Ann.
Ephraim and Maria's parents are possibly William Haines and Jane Cook.

Please will you check your post and confirm what information you are searching.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Martin

I see you have been online recently, and likely have read the question Heywood has posted.  It is an excellent question.  Formal adoption of children in South Australia commenced in 1925, and of course, regardless of the era, many couples across the centuries have undertaken to raise children particularly when their own siblings may have died leaving young children motherless or fatherless or both.   So I wonder if William born 1860 in Victoria had older siblings and if so if their details are noted on William’s BDM …

JM

.... I would expect Victorian BDM to have details about older siblings, about the parents etc.  And the index is free to search.  Better still, the Vic BDMs can be downloaded immediately after plastic card has been used.  :D 
http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/search+your+family+history/
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,373754.0.html

The tree - again stressing that no links shown to verify information - implies that it is the same William.

Maria Haines marriage to William Harmer December 1854, Adelaide. She dies 1862, Houghton, SA and William Harmer remarries later.

Trove has http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50169620 Register 3 June 1862 for death of Maria HARMER, wife of William Harmer,  and second daughter of William HAINES ....

Also, if you read back over this thread you will find details of South Australian births for children for Maria and William HARMER.   

When you have spare moment perhaps you could type up all the info you have gleaned from the Vic BDM for William HARMER, parents indexed as William HARMER and Maria HAINES.

ADD
1902 obit for William HAINES, married three times, leaves a widow and a son (Walter HAINES).
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/56560179 Register 13 June 1902.

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline M S Harmer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 08:47 BST (UK) »
I have just received info that he was an only child. After his mothers death in 1862 he was adopted by his mothers brother 1863.
So no biological siblings which is what I was trying to confirm.
Ward, Kempson, Donovan, Kiesler, Sutherland, Anesbury, Haines, Crowle, Smith, Benfold, Binstead, Bairstow, Tullock, Wallace, Wood, Oakland, Parker, Payne, Stokes, Botten, Stacy, Brooks, Harmer, Sinclair

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Err ... you have previously posted the given names for William's siblings ... and I have searched online at several reliable BDM indexes and found a) his birth registered in Victoria and b) the birth for two older siblings registered in South Australia ...  And I have posted the South Australian info for you and other RChatters reading this thread now, or anytime in the future. 

This latest reply seems to contradict the info I have posted based on those indexes.  How have you established that these sightings are NOT older siblings for William born 1860? 

I have just received info that he was an only child. After his mothers death in 1862 he was adopted by his mothers brother 1863.

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 09:17 BST (UK) »

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 09:38 BST (UK) »

This is not what you asked for in your first post, Martin.

Looking for birth, marriage, death dates for the following siblings:
William Haines
Ephraim Haines
Maria Haines
Jane Haines
Parents are Ephraim Haines and Mary Ann Harmer. Lived in Sth Aust.Married 28 may 1855.
Any possible children of these siblings as well would be greatly appreciated.

We have tried to help you with this request and have spent a long time searching to give you information which contradicts this.
You now seem to be completely overlooking your initial post.  ???