Author Topic: Colour Slide Negatives?  (Read 8952 times)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Colour Slide Negatives?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:06 BST (UK) »

Ours were done (at home) at 3200dpi, and you can see the woodgrain on the church pews when you zoom in. If you can get over here (Halifax) , I can scan a couple as a trial, and then you can see if it is worth having the remainder done.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 July 05 22:03 BST (UK) »
The Kodak transparency sounds like a normal 35mm slide.  The others sound more interesting, are you sure they are all of the 60's wedding?  It's unusual to find glass transparencies so late, but having said that I have some of my dad's from the early 50's (but they are only the ones that he used as "intermissions" between actual photographs during a slide show, i.e. he wrote on them, they weren't photographic).  Plus dad's are 35mm, not large ones like you have.

Hmmm...haven't helped much have I!
Prue

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 August 05 00:33 BST (UK) »
Okay
   If your dates are correct, and I suspect by the sound of things, they are. Your smaller ones are certainly 35mm and anyone with a transmitted light scanner should have no problem, but as I said previously scan at 1200dpi (or more). The other slides sound like 6x6 and no they aren’t a glass slide – they are actually sandwiched between 2 pieces of non reflective glass to protect the actual film. Due to the physical size of these slides there are few scanners capable of scanning the whole negative. Notwithstanding the availability of professional scanners, with these larger slides you may want to remove the actual slide from the frame (one edge should click and swing out) and then possibly scan only the centre or most important part of the picture.
   As for the colours they may or may not be able to be fixed with a digital
Photo’ programme. If not you may decide that it would be better to convert them to grey scale or sepia toned (the old brown coloured photos.

All the best
                  Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 August 05 00:46 BST (UK) »
The photos enclosed in glass sound intriguing. I wonder if you could take a digital photo of the slide so we could see what it looks like.

If as Denn says, you may have to convert it to greyscale, they may be able to be colorized depending on the quality of the scan.
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 August 05 02:03 BST (UK) »
A quick word of warning as an afterthougt
       The Glass enclosed slides were as I have said to protect the actual slide from scratches and to keep it flat. but whatever you do - if you post them anywhere please remove the slides from the glass. I posted some many years ago and the result was a packege of broken glass and severely scratched slides
                                                   Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 August 05 20:11 BST (UK) »
slide as requested
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline deadants

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 August 05 23:54 BST (UK) »
hi jinks,
    Is that the 35mm or the framed glass slide?
Cleary, Doran, Boland, McCooey, McManus, O'brien, Martin, Savage, Wallis, McCollister, Wood.  (More to come soon)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 August 05 23:55 BST (UK) »
OK
 see the tab at the top right hand corner? that will click out and the whole right hand side swings outwards, after which you can slide out the slide and two pieces of glass sandwiching it.
                                                    Denn

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 11:18 BST (UK) »
don't take notice of the attachment tht'ds just me fiddling. your slides being 6x6 shouldcome up quite good quality - better than a 35mm but having just messed around with the web image do you know the colour of the dresses, were they coloured.