Author Topic: Henry Cogill About 1758 -1847  (Read 3052 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Cogill About 1758 -1847
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 May 22 10:37 BST (UK) »
ANN was likely bapt 26 Aug 1810 Gillingham, Parents HENRY/ANN
Birth 28 Jul 1810
(FreeREG)

Henry James/William and Elizabeths Bapt are there also in Chatham
+ Henry/Ann's Burials 1847/1854

Anne Cogill was a witness to the Marriage of Henry James  Cogill to Phoebe Robins 26 Mar 1826 Gillingham
They bapt 1 Son 25 Feb 1827 Henry William, Father a Baker

As you likely know Phoebe remarried 1833

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 May 22 14:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info on Ann Cogill, Trish.

I do have Phoebe's second marriage to Saml Bishop, who was a silversmith like Henry William.

One thing I am curious about is that, on the baptism of Elizabeth, one of William Cogill's children by his first marriage in S Africa, on 5th August 1839, one of the witnesses was "Cogill Ann".  As there were no Ann Cogills in SA, as far as I know, could this have been William's mother or his sister Ann - in which case one of them must have visited S Africa.

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 May 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
ZEMA WARBAIN VERA COGILL (LATER HOWARTH)

I am going off at a tangent, but it may be of interest. While searching Cogills recently on the internet, I came across the person mentioned above.  She was a celebrated artist in Canada.  When I checked, she was born in S Africa, had gone to England to study art, married an englishman called peter Howarth, and emigrated to Canada in 1924.

She was born in eastern cape in 1900, the daughter of William Henry Cogill and Zema Augusta Meyer.  William Henry was the son of William Henry, eldest son of William Cogill and Elizabeth Fulcher, and Annette Gillman.  William Henry and Annette emigrated from SA to England about 1882 and lived at Surbiton.

All the Williams and Henrys get a bit confusing sometimes!