Author Topic: Ellen Burke  (Read 5400 times)

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ellen Burke
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Perhaps it is a coincidence as there is another Burke mmn Wilkinson birth in Leeds in 1928 at least.
I won't give the full name as they may still be alive.

Regards
Roger

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 09:18 BST (UK) »
Roger,

Mother's maiden name would be Atkin. The other two girls were registered in Cuckfield.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Yes,thanks Heywood,obviously a "senior moment".Apologies.Original amended to remove name.

Regards
Roger

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 July 17 10:38 BST (UK) »
I just didn't want you to spend time searching the wrong name  :)

I wonder if the children were baptised?

Offline Coomera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 13 July 17 06:24 BST (UK) »
No, Violet was never registered, as she found when she tried for her pension (or it may have been a passport) and she did not exist. She usually went by the name Vivian (its OK, she has been dead for years and had no children).
Wow! this report of an assault involving Arthur Taylor Burke is a real gamechanger and makes you wonder why they left the bustling cotton towns to bury themselves in rural Sussex in the first place. I lived in W.Sussex in the 60's and it was still pretty bucolic even then. I will have a try at this but must confess never had much luck with newspaper reports - just one in my wife's family and he was an entertainer. Arthur must have been around up to late '25 to early '26 for him to have fathered his last daughter. Hope some one can crack this now that we have this sniff of success.   john.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 13 July 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
There is a 1925 snippet in which the son Arthur Donovan Burke is found guilty of stealing,and his father Arthur Taylor Burke of receiving.Interestingly,he is quoted as saying he stole it "because he did not want his daddy to suffer".I notice the son's birth registration is Arthur Donovan Joseph Wilkinson Burke.Judging by the 1939 register it was not his only offence.

Regards
Roger

Offline Coomera

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 14 July 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Wow! thanks despair, this quite something. I started this project to satisfy the curiosity of the four grandchildren to whom Arthur was just a name, there is not even a photograph, and from whom they inherited a quarter of their genes. Ellen & Arthur were living at Hilpshire (just north of Blackburn) before they moved south, so this would also be  worth checking for unsocial acts leading to the move south.   many thanks,  john.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 14 July 17 09:40 BST (UK) »
I have now found further snippets

1937:Arthur Donovan Joseph Raymond Peter Wilkinson Burke("an artist" aged 19).presumably Raymond Peter as born,and his brother Arthur Donovan Joseph Wilkinson Burke ("a traveller,aged 25) of Harrow Weald are charged with an offence involving a loaded pistol.

1949:Arthur Donovan Joseph Wilson Burke under the alias Richard Wilson is again in court.The snippet reads as if he had done film work,was an RAF pilot in WW2 and helped manage a family business,but I think there is some doubt that it may be one of his co-accused.

Regards
Roger

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 14 July 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
There is a 1925 snippet in which the son Arthur Donovan Burke is found guilty of stealing,and his father Arthur Taylor Burke of receiving.Interestingly,he is quoted as saying he stole it "because he did not want his daddy to suffer".I notice the son's birth registration is Arthur Donovan Joseph Wilkinson Burke.Judging by the 1939 register it was not his only offence.

Regards
Roger

I can see a snippet re this - posted in Nottingham Evening Post November 1925 ( perhaps a national story?) and it could be that Arthur (father) was sentenced to hard labour - the whole article may reveal this. It continues ..'The Burke family.. '
Looking at the date, if the snippet is correctly interpreted by me, it may have some bearing re Violet's birth.