Author Topic: Britton (Brittain) Astley Abbotts  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Head cook

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Britton (Brittain) Astley Abbotts
« on: Sunday 31 July 05 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does any one out there know Astley Abbott's well.? Is there an old church yard?  My4x grandfather was born at Astley Abbotts in 1723 And died1786.He was married three times and had five children. His name was Thomas Brittain(Britton).What I cant find is his parents.I dont know their given names. Can anyone help please.
Headcook.

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Britton (Brittain) Astley Abbotts
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 05 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Church at Astley Abbots is Saint Calixtus.
The recorded Monumental Inscriptions, 1660 to 1984, are available from the Shropshire Family History Society.
However, the name BRITTAIN, in any form, is not listed.

Photographs of that church and many others, are freely available at one of my web sites;
http://grc2.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

Hope it helps,

Gwynne.
Transcribing all the Bridgnorth town census.
http://www.chadwickg.freeserve.co.uk
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Head cook

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Britton (Brittain) Astley Abbotts
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 05 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hello.Thanks for your information.It was good to see the church where my ancestors might be laid to rest.Unless there is another church at Astley Abbotts they must have been christened, married and buried there.Thomas was married three times.Elizabeth born 1727.Married1748.Three children   Edward,Thomas andElizabeth.   Wife No2 Mary Higgs born1723 Married1760 Died 1777.two children.      Wife No three.Elizabeth Hollings .Born 1757 Married1778.According to my records all this happened in Astley Abbotts. Of course I could be wrong.
There were other Brittons (Britain's) from around That area before they got to Lancashire then to Cheshire where I come from.By that time The surname was Britton.

Headcook