Author Topic: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson  (Read 12121 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find relative of Isabella Haig Stevenson
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 15 July 17 10:53 BST (UK) »
I have been on deceased on line and found that in the same grave at Myrus is:-
Isabella Stevenson dated 28th October 1939
and
Margaret Stevenson dated 17th December 1937

I am unsure of who Isabella Stevenson is?

Hmm,

Will have to consider other options as there's no-one of that name in that year in that area on SP?

Does it give her age?

She may have died elsewhere & buried there or may be registered as Bella?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 15 July 17 18:22 BST (UK) »
I have done another search & have come up blank.

It is however possible that Isabella may have been a Stillbirth & not recorded on the Statutory Register?

I know it became law to have Stillbirths registered 1939 but they are separate from Statutory Deaths.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 15 July 17 19:27 BST (UK) »
The 1939 entry on Deceasedonline says Isabella Stevenson ( child of).
Thought I'd posted this earlier, but doesn't seem to have appeared on thread.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 15 July 17 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel,

Maybe Theresa (OP) can double check to see what it says in full?

There's only 7 deaths in 1939 for the whole of Scotland.

Annie

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 15 July 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Possibly James Davidson Stevenson born 1939 in Banff died 1939 in Banff
Isobel

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 16 July 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone again.  My friend who is helping me has come across two entries for a Isabella Haig on Scottish People's in the statutory births register, why would this be so.   Can you help please

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 16 July 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
The birth has been recorded in both Banff and Boyndie. This normally happens if the birth takes place outwith the Parish where the parents usually reside - birth is recorded in both.
Isobel

Offline bellaode

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 16 July 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 16 July 17 20:00 BST (UK) »
Well, this has been a very interesting journey ;D I haven’t had much luck tracking down your grandfather, John Duncan, but I think I have found your great great grandfather, John Stevenson - as well as what became of your great great grandmother, Margaret Walker Barron’s other children, and their fathers.

So, beginning with John Stevenson (father of Margaret Stevenson, b. 1898): he was named on Margaret’s birth registration as a mason, residing at 17 Constitution St, Inverurie. Fortunately for us, he was still at that address in the 1901 census.

John Stevenson was born on 28 Jun 1863 in Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire to Alexander Stevenson and Helen Emslie - he had six sisters and a brother. I can’t find any evidence that he married, nor can I find a death, but John Stevenson is a pretty common name. He was still unmarried at 38 in the 1901 census.

Next, George Riddle (father of Isabella Raffan Barron, b. 1889). Again, he was named on the corrected entry as being a farm servant, residing at Racloch (sic), Turriff, Aberdeenshire. The same George Riddle married Jean/Jane Christie in Monquhitter, Aberdeenshire about a month after his daughter Isabella was born.

George Riddle was born on 22 Nov 1865 in Forglen, Banffshire to Ernest Riddle and Helen Reid. He and Jean/Jane Christie had one daughter in Scotland before the family emigrated to the US, where they had four more children. George died in Vermont in 1946.

I’ve been unable to find a marriage or death for Isabella Raffan Barron, so I don’t know what became of her.

On to William Cowie (father of Colin Fraser Barron, b. 1893 - more on him later…). He was named as a soldier residing at Seafield Farm, Cullen, Banffshire. Eventually tracked him down through his military records.

William Leslie Cowie was born on 12 Jun 1876 in Cullen, Banffshire to Alexander Cowie and Mary Ann Findlay (his parents are at Seafield Farm in 1891 and 1901). He enlisted in the Royal Field Artillery - probably the same year his son was born - and served nearly 10 years, including 5 years in Malta. He married Alice Mary Pritchett in 1898 in Portsmouth, Hampshire, England. They had four children in England and Malta before the family emigrated to Canada in 1913. In 1915, William enlisted in the 2nd Canadian Pioneer Battalion at the age of 39. He arrived in Le Havre in March 1916 and was reported missing in action, presumed dead on 5 Apr 1916 at Ypres.

Now interestingly, his son with Margaret Walker Barron - Colin Fraser Barron - also emigrated to Canada and enlisted in the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force in 1915. It doesn’t appear that he knew his father was there, or that he acknowledged him - he names his grandfather, Joseph Barron, as his father on his enlistment papers, and also named Joseph Barron and Mary Reid has his parents when he married Helen Milne in Ontario in 1921.

Colin Fraser Barron was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry under fire at Passchendaele - he survived the war and went on to marry Helen Milne in York, Ontario - he also served in WW2, and died in 1959 in Toronto.

Colin Fraser Barron’s half brother - Alexander Barron - who’s father we don’t know - also emigrated to Canada and enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1915. He was reported missing in action, presumed dead at Ypres on 6 Jun 1916.

I haven’t managed to track down John Mitchell (father of Mary Ann Mitchell Barron b. 1896) - but John Mitchell is another common name. Mary Ann Mitchell Barron married George Lyon Grant in 1919 in Banff - she died in 1961 in Banff.

I do love it when loose ends get tied up - if only I was able to tie up all the ones I have  ;D ;D

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.