Author Topic: William W? TURNBULL  (Read 5291 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William W? TURNBULL
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Debra has given you accurate information re the three 'entries' that appear at the online  INDEX.  I think that the explanation you have been given over the phone from NSW BDM is actually from their call centre team, and of course, the call centre does not have access to the actual record and likely have not ever been working with the actual records, so umm... may not understand why there's often several 'entries' in the index for the one event.   

May I suggest that you consider obtaining an official transcription of the actual marriage registration from an Official Transcriber, appointed by NSW BDM.   

ADD ... likely the column where the bride's surname is recorded has more than one surname listed there.  So the index has more than one entry for the one event.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
There were at least 2 children of the KITE/GAMBRILL marriage.

GAMBRILL, IRIS  LILIAN MAY
MMS- KITE 
Year 1914
S Quarter in THANET
Volume 02A  Page 2129

GAMBRILL, BENJAMIN  GEORGE FREDERICK
MMS- KITE       
Year 1916
M Quarter in THANET
Volume 02A  Page 1884 

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:16 BST (UK) »

There are no Gambrills in Australia during that time (early 1900's) with the name George Frederick, or the other way around. having said that, I'll continue to look to alternates. I do have a 2 x George <different middle name> Gambrill & Mary that had children around that time....

As you will note the given names of the GAMBRILL son born 1916 (above) reflect a possible link.

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
There's so many occasions where the indexes have several entries for the one event that there's actually an option to check if there's more than one entry against any registration no.

At the 'top' of each online search page there's a section "Search by number only".  The default is NO, but if you select YES, you can search by the registration number.  I am surprised the call centre staff do not have a 'standard response' to enquiries about this.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:23 BST (UK) »
Possibly Dorothy was widowed in 1925.

Deaths Jun 1925   

GAMBRILL  Benjamin E
Aged  37
At  Elham  2a /1258

Sue

EDIT  Incorrect information. See Reply #23

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Debra has given you accurate information re the three 'entries' that appear at the online  INDEX.  I think that the explanation you have been given over the phone from NSW BDM is actually from their call centre team, and of course, the call centre does not have access to the actual record and likely have not ever been working with the actual records, so umm... may not understand why there's often several 'entries' in the index for the one event.   

May I suggest that you consider obtaining an official transcription of the actual marriage registration from an Official Transcriber, appointed by NSW BDM.   

JM

Ok, I hear what you are saying.
With regards the transcription, theirs is on the list to get, as is all Gambrills  (I currently have 136 transcriptions out of the 329 that are available)

I initiated public research of William and Dorothy because I had found no connection to my tree.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:32 BST (UK) »
I initiated public research of William and Dorothy because I had found no connection to my tree.

Well, have you now?
Sue

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 13 July 17 01:59 BST (UK) »
I've been looking at findmypast using the references above (thankyou) for Benjamin and Dorothy.

I think at this point, I need connect Benjamin to my tree so i'll do some further research as to his linage. There are a couple of Gambrill branches that I havent been able to link to mine, so i'm hoping I can make that connection with Ben then I can follow through to his wife Dorothy and NSW.

Thankyou for your guidance, thoughts, suggestions etc.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 13 July 17 02:26 BST (UK) »
I think Bobby, you need to consider that the pair buried at Woronora may not be your couple. There are other Dorothy M and William Turnbull at the cemetery:

http://www.woronoracemetery.org.au/finding-loved-ones

The fact that their marriage was registered at Hurstiville doesn't necessarily mean that they remained in the area.

The Ryerson listings and burials could just be a coincidence.

Therefore, Dorothy's parents may not be George Frederick and Mary.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams