Author Topic: Mary and Elizabeth Kelly  (Read 1383 times)

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary and Elizabeth Kelly
« on: Saturday 15 July 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Im hoping i can be pointed in the right direction to find out more info about my gggrandmother Mary Kelly and maybe her sister Elizabeth. Mary was an orphan sent to Australia with the Earl Grey Scheme 1849.She was from the Wexford Workhouse (I have been told there are no records from there?)On her birth cert it says she was born in Dublin 1830. We also know somehow her sister Elizabeth ended up in Australia from 'Trove' requests for her whereabouts that mary had placed. Do i need to somehow find a parish?Im not sure how to go about that . She was RC. Thanks.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary and Elizabeth Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 July 17 08:05 BST (UK) »
The RC Registers are online, free, but you would need to check each one by one...  http://registers.nli.ie/ then click map

There is a basic search function there.

So you find a Mary Kelly, born 1830 and then an Elizabeth as a sister.... How do you know you have the correct one?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 July 17 09:22 BST (UK) »
I know - it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, particularly with such common names.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 17 09:40 BST (UK) »

".. my gggrandmother Mary Kelly.........On her birth cert it says she was born in Dublin 1830"

Do you mean her marriage or death certificate?

"........sister Elizabeth ended up in Australia from 'Trove' requests for her whereabouts that mary had placed."

Can you please identify the notice you are seeing in the paper...name and date of publication.

Who / when / where did your Mary KELLY marry?

What certificates do you have for BDM events in life of your Mary KELLY and her family?

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 July 17 10:04 BST (UK) »
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4808079  Mary Dykes came from the Wexford Workhouse to Port Philip 1849. She married John Dykes a few months later. I have their marraige certificate. It was before parents had to be named. She was married'under the authorisation of minors'. Sorry i have no birth certificate for her. I do have the original for her daughter Mary Ann ( my ggrandmother) on there, it says Mary Kelly was born 1830 in Dublin Ireland. Thats really all i know about her life before she came to Australia. She lived in and around Port Fairy (Belfast) Victoria.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 July 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
I know - it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack, particularly with such common names.

No it will be like looking for a particular bit of hay in a haystack, a needle would be easy by comparison.

Have you tried looking at Elizabeth, perhaps she might provide a better clue.

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 July 17 20:25 BST (UK) »
Yes , i have tried looking and didnt have much success. She seems to have spent some time in Tasmania, then she moved to Melbourne and then to Geelong but after that the trail goes cold. I dont know if she married or what happend but would love to.

Offline JoyceMH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 July 17 20:32 BST (UK) »
I dont know if this is any type of clue or not but on the ship records for her immigration it says she was from Enniscorthy, Wexford? (Mary Kelly)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
a Mary Kelly mention on this site

http://www.irishfaminememorial.org