Author Topic: Tracing Irish ancestors beyond available records  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Irish ancestors beyond available records
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 July 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
I had a look at some of the John Whitesides who were in Poulton  late 18th/early 19th centuries.

John Whiteside, shoemaker & wife Peggy/Margaret, married 1788,  had at least 6 children. They were still living in Poulton in 1841, both aged 70. Some of their family were shoemakers.
Neighbour James Whiteside (60) was also a shoemaker.
John Whiteside, shoemaker & Isabella were also still in Poulton in 1841; he was 65 with a houseful of children.
Nearby John & Isabella were a younger John & Isabella (40 & 35). He was also a shoemaker and his teenage son an apprentice shoemaker.
3 neighbours of the 2 John & Isabella couples were also shoemakers.
So, none of the above John Whitesides could have been the same John Whiteside in an earlier life as the John  who was at Salmesbury in 1841. I was trying to trace and eliminate some possible candidates.

John Whiteside who married Jane Salthouse:
Marriage 1798. John was a husbandman (agricultural labourer).
5 children, all baptised at St. Chad, Poulton. Henry 1799, (died 1808); John 1801; Robert 1802; Samuel 1805; Thomas 1807. Abode for all was Highfalong (?). The father's occupation was farmer at baptism of John 1801 and Thomas 1807. ( I forgot to note occupations at other baptisms.)
Burial Nov. 1807, St. Chad, Poulton, Jane Whiteside, aged 42, wife of ----, abode Highfalong, occupation farmer.
John Whitehouse, widower married Betty Rimmer 1808.
(Jenny Whiteside, natural daughter of a Betty Whiteside, abode Carleton, was born Sep. 1812 and baptised at St. Chad in October. I've explained in my previous post why I consider Jenny was not the child of Betty (Rimmer) Whiteside. She should therefore be ruled out of this enquiry IMO.)

I tried to trace the 4 surviving sons of John & Jane Whiteside. There was a marriage of a Samuel 1829. He was a miller, abode Kirkham. Marriage bond gave abode as Singleton (I think, didn't write it down, running out of paper.) His bride was from Poulton. This may have been a different Samuel.
Eldest surviving son of John & Jane, John junior seems to be a farmer at Highfurlong in 1841. He was aged 40 and was a single-person household. In a separate household in same building were 2 teenage boys who were ag. labs. + 2 female servants. Were these all his servants? As he seemed to be running the farm, what has happened to his father, the elder John and his stepmother, Betty, if still alive?  One would expect them still to be resident in the farmhouse or a cottage nearby. Most farmers don't give up the reins easily, even when the son & heir is middle-aged.
I couldn't identify Robert b. 1802.
Possible candidate for Thomas was an innkeeper in Wigan in 1841 but he's doubtful.

There was a 1799 burial of Henry Whiteside (80), yeoman, of Highfalong. Seems like John senior took over the farm on Henry's death. Henry and one or both Johns may have made wills. Other records to look at/for are leases and Tithe records.
It seems very unlikely that John Whiteside Senior, a yeoman farmer, would give it up for the life of a shoemaker. I've got both occupations in my tree. My yeoman farmers were comfortably off, well respected in the community, sons became farmers, land agents, corn-dealers/millers, innkeepers; daughters married other farmer, millers, maltsters,  businessmen, doctors. Shoemakers learned their trade as boys, often from their father. There was a saying "The shoemaker's children go barefoot" i.e. a shoemaker couldn't afford to spare leather to make shoes for his own family, or worked such long hours he had no time to make them. A few shoemakers with larger workshops in towns where there was a wealthier customer-base were successful.

To conclude. I agree with other posters/researchers. Evidence and logic strongly suggest that John Whiteside, shoemaker, father of Richard, who was at Salmesbury Mills in 1841 and died there 1842, was not the same John Whiteside, husbandman, later farmer, who married Jane Salthouse there in 1798. Betty Rimmer, who married a widowed John Whitehouse in Poulton 1808 was not the same Betty from Devon who married John the shoemaker and gave birth to Richard in 1815 in Dublin.
BTW Rimmer was another locally common surname.

Cowban

Offline SueBen31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 23 July 17 08:40 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks to Maiden Stone for all the work they have done on the Whitesides in the last two days.

I am hoping to go to Poulton le Fylde at the beginning of August to visit the churches and areas mentioned so far to see if I can pick up anything further 'on the ground.'

Meanwhile I am going to explore further some of the ideas suggested by Maiden Stone and other researchers. I really appreciate your help with this.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 23 July 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone has laid it out very well. With such a common name as Whiteside you can only arrive at this by logically working through the various families.
FWIW I believe John of the 2nd. Lancs. Militia married Eliz. Collins while on a posting in Devon. They were there in 1813.
All of the 3 Lancs. Militia Regt's. were in Ireland by 1814 & the 2nd. & 3rd. returned early/mid 1816 for disembodiment following Napoleon's surrender. Just after Richard's birth the Militia's were due for a return home but as Napoleon had escaped from Elba & returned to Paris all disembodiment's were cancelled & an Army raised in preparation for Waterloo. I believe this is why you have Richard's Baptism in Lancs. but born Ireland & Agnes born Lancs 1818.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
There's free access to military records on Anc. this weekend. I looked at "British Army Muster Books and Pay Lists 1812-1817" for my ancestors' cousin who was an officer in 1st Lancashire Militia 1808-1816. I found 5 records under his name 1813-1816, although they can't all be him because 3 related to 3 different regiments. (Jim, do you know if there was much movement between regiments at this period? I've learned from my research of the past 2 days that large numbers of the Lancashire Militia volunteered to join the Regulars, in 1798 and 1814, both times when the militia was stationed in Ireland.)  One record (7th Dragoon Guards, formerly 4th Regiment of Horse) read that he was stationed at, or the muster place was at Dundalk. Start of muster was 25th March 1815, end of muster 24th June 1815. The last record containing his name was from Liverpool Depot 24th March 1816. I know he wrote a letter to a friend in Lancashire prior to the regiment's return to Preston, stating his intention to remain in military service. He was Captain William Latham. He and a fellow officer were accomplished artists. Latham and another officer, a surgeon, shared an interest in history. The surgeon friend later co-founded a Scottish antiquarian society. Latham was a frequent visitor to his relatives in the Fylde area of Lancashire and inherited a hall near Poulton from his aunt. ( I know this is a digression, but officers corresponded with people back home at the time, and with each other after leaving the army.)
The only John Whiteside I found in the Muster Books & Pay Lists was in 28th Foot.

A quarter of men on a page I looked at were sick or wounded. Deciphering and making sense of it wasn't easy.

Coincidently a snippet turned up by a member of Lancashire FHHS yesterday:
"13th May 1802. Lord Wilton's Regiment of Lancashire Volunteers returned from Ireland where they had been stationed for 5 years."
That means the regiment would have been posted to Ireland in 1797 to guard against French invasion. It was there during the period of martial law and repression of the Irish, the growth of sectarianism & sectarian violence, armed risings of 1798,  the French invasion of the same year, more repression of the Irish people which followed the year of uprisings, and abolition of the Irish Parliament. (Followed by Robert Emmett's attempt at another rising.) If wives accompanied the regiment or men married Irish women quite a few Lancashire people of that vintage may have been born in Ireland. Although in the words of a famous Irishman "Being born in a stable doesn't make a person a horse" (reference to a famous stable in Bethlehem). There were also, no doubt, Irish women left to bring up children fathered by soldiers.

A visit to Lancashire Archives is a must. A whole day there at least. Search the online catalogue beforehand and make a list, including reference letters & numbers in catalogue. Look at their "Handbook 72 Sources for history of Militia and Volunteer Regiments in Lancashire" online (pdf). Documents  included on the list which may be worth particular attention are:
 Enrolment Books of 1st, 2nd & 3rd Regiments, Royal Lancashire Militia 1809-1816 Ref: LN13/1
Enrolment Books                                                                                1812-1826 Ref: LN13/2
Return of Townships in several subdivisions deficient in their quotas of men serving in the 2nd Regiment of the Royal Lancashire Militia  December 1810 (Quarter-Sessions Records) Ref:Q/S/P/2603/80     (There will be similar returns for 1st and 3rd Regiments.)
Correspondence 1803-1808  (I didn't note reference number from Handlist 72 for this.)
Check the references in case I've copied any incorrectly.
There may be other relevant documents. Handlist 72 is a few years old and even then it stated it wasn't exhaustive. An email to Lancs. Archives plenty of time beforehand would save time on the day. Be specific about the research topic, in this case a member of 2nd Regiment Royal Lancashire Militia, serving until 1816. Mention the documents I've listed above. Ask if there are any others relevant and how to find them.
There are possibly books of interest as well. Take a look at Lancashire Libraries online catalogue. If you're not a resident you can join as a visitor and then be a "remote" member. Again, an email to library in Preston. Lancashire closed some branch libraries in the past year and reduced opening hours at others, including The Harris Library in Preston. St. Anne's Library, not far from Poulton-le-Fylde  has a very good local history room. So does Garstang Library, south of Forton.
The regimental museums would be worth a visit as well. Again , contact beforehand, specify your area of interest, and most importantly verify opening times. Many Lancashire museums also closed recently or are open only for pre-booked educational visits,
Are you a member of Lancashire Family History & Heraldry Society? If not I recommend joining, even if only for a year. There's a members' forum online and some branches have a Facebook page. Surnames Interests & family trees available online to members and surname interests can also go in the quarterly journal.
I have some info about wills and leases but it will have to keep for another day.

Cowban

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 July 17 18:41 BST (UK) »
Just to add... first thing I did when MaidenStone mentioned the Militia, was to check the military records on FindMyPast... nothing for him only a different John Whiteside who was a seaman at Waterloo.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 July 17 20:06 BST (UK) »
Nov. 8th. 1808 it was announced that William Latham was to be made Lt. in the 1st. Regiment Royal Lancashire Militia.
I can't see any movement between Regiments ( but that doesn't mean it didn't happen).
1814/15 Officers of the Militia were encouraged to recruit men from their Regiments into the regular army with the inducement of a Commission They needed to recruit 80 volunteers. This would have left the 3 Militia Regiments short of men so I would think poaching would have been discouraged.
The Regiments were given the power to recruit volunteers by "beat of drum" meaning they could go out of their normal recruiting area which was just as well as they were all in Ireland.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 24 July 17 01:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim. I noticed in the "Remarks" column against a name in a Muster Book "gone to  Armagh recruiting".
 A couple of snippets on Lancashire Infantry Museum website illustrate women's presence. Both relate to the 30th Foot and involve ships.
Dec 1805 a convoy taking forces to Germany sailed into a violent storm. The ship "Jenny" ran ashore at Gravelines. Four officers, 115 men, 12 women, 5 children, a baby born during the night and 11 sailors aboard were captured by French forces and spent the next 9 years as POWs.
Jan. 1814 HMS "Queen" was anchored at Falmouth. Aboard was a detachment of men lately arrived from the Iberian Peninsula, along with women, children and French POWS. A violent storm blew up overnight, wrecking the ship with loss of 250 lives including wife and all 5 children of Lieutenant Daniell. :'(
I  looked up 30th Foot because it was among the muster rolls I'd perused.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 24 July 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone has laid it out very well. With such a common name as Whiteside you can only arrive at this by logically working through the various families.
FWIW I believe John of the 2nd. Lancs. Militia married Eliz. Collins while on a posting in Devon. They were there in 1813.
All of the 3 Lancs. Militia Regt's. were in Ireland by 1814 & the 2nd. & 3rd. returned early/mid 1816 for disembodiment following Napoleon's surrender. Just after Richard's birth the Militia's were due for a return home but as Napoleon had escaped from Elba & returned to Paris all disembodiment's were cancelled & an Army raised in preparation for Waterloo. I believe this is why you have Richard's Baptism in Lancs. but born Ireland & Agnes born Lancs 1818.

Sueben31,
I am a bit lost in all the military detail on some other posts but I do understand all the above. However, I just wonder whether Cockerham should be the place to search rather than Poulton le Fylde :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueBen31

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:08 BST (UK) »
This is very exciting and addictive. I am starting a list of references and leads to follow thanks to researchers on this forum, especially Maiden Stone, and how best to plan my route and book visits for next week when I have time to go on the trail....

I note Cockerham local records are stored at Lancaster Library, so I am starting now with the online LANCAT system at Preston Record Office where I have been before and then I will regroup and book visits to the Regimental Museums, Churches and local records stored all along the Lancashire coast.

I am glad I am fairly local being born in Lancashire and have grandparents who were in Lancashire regiments in both Blackburn and Manchester who were in Lancashire regiments in World War One but venturing into the Napoleonic era and the times before there were censuses is new to me, hence my being very grateful for those tips about other sources and particular information unearthed by this forum about the lives of young men in the militia and their families in the early 1800s.

Thanks again!