Author Topic: Tracing Irish ancestors beyond available records  (Read 3794 times)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Irish ancestors beyond available records
« Reply #36 on: Monday 24 July 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
It's interesting to note the role of women in the Regt. Men received a marching allowance, the more miles they marched the more allowance they got. This also extended to the women & children. It almost amounts to the women being considered "on the strength" of the Regt.
They did fulfil useful roles & earned extra money by washing & repairing clothes. They were also used at times as ad hoc nurses.
Married quarters often consisted of just a curtain in the main block.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 24 July 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
For entirely different reasons, thanks for the information Jim.
Some years ago, I was trying to find written accounts of women's lives with the army.
 It was because of Rootschat I became interested. A woman ended up in the workhouse with a young child, older child in another and had given birth to and buried children in various places - Gibraltar, Malta etc. She was Irish and had married her husband there. It seemed such a sad life. We could not find the husband at the time.
I couldn't much or anything in written accounts. I might think about it again now.  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 24 July 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
Sueben31,
I am a bit lost in all the military detail on some other posts but I do understand all the above. However, I just wonder whether Cockerham should be the place to search rather than Poulton le Fylde :-\
[/quote]
I agree that Sue should extend her search to the parish of Cockerham, with particular focus on the Whiteside family/ families in Forton since we know that John Whiteside was there in 1818. However I think should continue with her Poulton research. For one thing she needs to find out more about John the yeoman farmer of Highfurlong which may eliminate him from further enquiry.

I've dug deeper both into the Whitesides in Forton, many of whom were tailors and those in Poulton who were shoemakers.   

Forton Whitesides  had links with Wyresdale. (1851 & 61 census, parish registers, will, conveyances, mortgage.)
John Whiteside the elder, Forton resident, POB Wyresdale. Possible baptism 1791 Christ Church, Over Wyresdale, parents William & Eliza. Among possible siblings was Richard baptised 1798.
 A Richard with wife Betty was in Forton  1813, baptism of son John. At later baptisms of R & B's children, James 1815 (at Shireshead Chapel) and twins John & Thomas, born 1819, baptised 1821, abode was Wiersdale. All baptisms in St. Michael, Cockerham register.
Joseph Whiteside of Forton had sons Joseph in Wyresdale and William in Goosenargh. Will of Joseph senior may be of interest.
 I identified 23 tailors by the name of Whiteside on 1851 census. Of the 10 born late 18th-early 19th centuries, POBs: Forton 1, Nateby 1, Poulton 2, Rawcliffe 5, Wyresdale 1.
1861 census: 8 of those born pre 1820 still alive. POBs: Ellel 1, Forton 1, Nateby 2, Poulton 1,  Rawcliffe 1,  Wyresdale 2. (George aged 83 changed his birthplace from Rawcliffe in previous census and an extra John had turned up. George had retired to Poulton.)

George had lived in Ellel from at least 1813. 3 of his children are in baptism register of St. Michael Cockerham. George himself may have been baptised at Hambleton 1777, son of Robert. The other 4 tailors from Rawcliffe on 1851 census match those with father Robert, baptised at Hambleton. One of them, Stephen, also spent time at Ellel, children's baptisms in St. Michael's Cockerham register.

There were 4 households of Whiteside shoemakers in Poulton in 1841. 2 lived in adjoining households in 1851. Richard was a master shoemaker employing 4 men (his 3 sons + apprentice). Next door was 85 year-old master shoemaker John and his son.

Of course the John Whiteside, subject of the enquiry may not be connected with any of these. He may have been apprenticed to an unrelated master. He might have landed in Forton because there was a vacancy for a shoemaker.
I need to get out more  ::)

Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:18 BST (UK) »
You're doing a grand job  :)

Did the army take shoemakers along with them or would they have to be a soldier  as well?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 24 July 17 19:52 BST (UK) »
Not sure about shoemakers but the army did have men who were farriers, carpenters, blacksmiths etc.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 24 July 17 21:06 BST (UK) »
2 more Whiteside shoemakers and tailors of possible interest.
1841 census. Hambleton
Richard Whiteside (50) shoemaker + Nancy (50), Mary (80), + 2 children.

1851 census Out Rawcliffe
Richard Whiteside (71)  b. Out Rawcliffe, tailor
James                  (66) b.   ditto             tailor
Robert                  (63) b.  ditto             shoemaker
Peggy                   (62) b.  ditto             housekeeper.
These siblings match baptisms of children of Robert & Sarah Whiteside of Rawcliffe, baptised at Hambleton. They come after George and before Stephen, whom I tracked in my last post. Between Peggy and Stephen was Joseph, another tailor. Between them they had it all sewn-up!  ;D  I couldn't resist that.   ;D There may have been 14 siblings, 10 of them boys. They must have been scratching their heads for names because son 9 was Thompson and 10 was Thomas. Unfortunately no John. Moses, Son 4 may have had big hands or poor eyesight; he became an ag. lab instead of a tailor.   :D If he'd been called John instead of Moses he might have conformed.  :D

Had 2nd thoughts re Richard & Betty whose abode was Forton at baptism of son John 1813. Richard baptised at Wyresdale 1798, whom I had as a putative brother of John, tailor of Forton, was a bit young, if he was baptised as a baby. He may not have been baptised until he was 2 or 3. Richard & Betty's twins were old enough to clamber into the font with a leg-up at their baptism in 1821.  ;D One of the 2 R & B marriages I found was almost a decade earlier than birth of son John, but no apparent children in the intervening years. I'm wondering if Richard also went off to war, or he may simply have moved elsewhere. If the earlier marriage was theirs then Richard baptised at Wyresdale 1798 was unlikely to be the same person.

There's a leatherworkers' database. The Whiteside shoemakers belong on it.
Cowban