Author Topic: Where is Bryne Goleu?  (Read 3240 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Bryne Goleu?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 June 19 01:04 BST (UK) »
Hi do you know if it means something
Maybe there are lots of farms with that name
My great grandfather was brought up in the 1850.s in a farm near llanmaron dendighshire  called Bry Gole.

I think his foster parents were his great uncle and wife who had 3 JONES "grandchildren" living with them in 1881 and a  tho i havent found evidence of them having any children a nephew lived with his aunt there in 1901
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 June 19 01:32 BST (UK) »
If I were you I would show your Grandad this map. He might be able to work out where his house used to be (and it may still be standing):

And (hopefully) here is the link to the historic mapping http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=53.0963&lon=-3.0548&layers=6&right=BingHyb

There are not very many houses showing in the area between the two large farms, so he might be able to work out which was his house, then you could look at it on street view to see if he recognises it, though it may be much altered. Regarding the three cottages nearby - they may not show on the map above if they were built later than the early 1900s, so keep that in mind.

Good luck.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 June 19 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi do you know if it means something
Maybe there are lots of farms with that name
My great grandfather was brought up in the 1850.s in a farm near llanmaron dendighshire  called Bry Gole.

It just means Light Hill, and yes, it's a very common farmhouse name in Wales.