Author Topic: Missing Poskitt, any ideas?  (Read 4571 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Poskitt, any ideas?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 July 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Right time, as the Battle of Inkerman was 5th November 1854.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 July 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
................................................ Off to do Grandad duties  ::)

Frank  ;D
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 July 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
OK we have eliminated the George 1828 the George 1825 ( who married Mary Webb) so last throw of the dice:-

1841 census

Thomas Poskitt 30
Sarah 30
George 11
Hannah 10
Ellen 7
Elizabeth 5
Jane 3
Mary 1
Residing Fishlake
Census ref HO107/1331/ 3/11 / 5
Keyboard86

EDIT Thomas Poskitt married Sarah Beaumont 16th March 1831 Fishlake

George appears to be the illegitimate son of Sarah prior to marriage, transcribed as George BEARMAN 6th June 1830 Fishlake

Frank I see you were enquiring about another son Thomas so what were your findings on this George?

I wonder if he could be the George Poskitt aged 20 in the Sheffield Independent 8th March 1851 who was given 2 months hard labour for stealing a pound of butter, four pounds of bread and an ounce of tobacco the property of Nathaniel Charlesworth of Fishlake?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
OK we have eliminated the George 1828 the George 1825 ( who married Mary Webb) so last throw of the dice:-

1841 census

Thomas Poskitt 30
Sarah 30
George 11
Hannah 10
Ellen 7
Elizabeth 5
Jane 3
Mary 1
Residing Fishlake
Census ref HO107/1331/ 3/11 / 5
Keyboard86

EDIT Thomas Poskitt married Sarah Beaumont 16th March 1831 Fishlake

George appears to be the illegitimate son of Sarah prior to marriage, transcribed as George BEARMAN 6th June 1830 Fishlake

Frank I see you were enquiring about another son Thomas so what were your findings on this George?

I wonder if he could be the George Poskitt aged 20 in the Sheffield Independent 8th March 1851 who was given 2 months hard labour for stealing a pound of butter, four pounds of bread and an ounce of tobacco the property of Nathaniel Charlesworth of Fishlake?

Hi, I have the family of Thomas Poskitt and Sarah Beaumont but have not come across George, regarding the son Thomas I was looking into, I have him from records:

Birth Fishlake October 1843
Baptism November 1843
Census results: 1851 Fishlake
                        1861 Not found as yet.
                        1871 to 1911 Residing Waterside Thorne.
Death in 1914 at Thorne.

Off to look into that illegitimate son, and newspaper article, thanks for that  :)

Frank.

Edited to add, after reading through this I forgot to say I didn't have the 1841 census.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
 :) Interesting that both "Carter/George"resided at Waterside at the same time in 1911 as Thomas then?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 28 July 17 13:56 BST (UK) »

George appears to be the illegitimate son of Sarah prior to marriage, transcribed as George BEARMAN 6th June 1830 Fishlake........................................................................

England select marriages 1538 - 1973:

Name    Sarah Bearmont
Spouse    Thomas Poskitt
Marriage    1831 Fishlake, York, England
Residence    Fishlake, Yorkshire, England

Miss-transcribed there as well

Frank

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 28 July 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
So, bearing in mind, Sarah Beaumont had a illegitimate son who is/was a Beaumont (Bearmont / Bearman) and she married Thomas Poskitt, we have George (Carter?) Poskitt in 1901 and 1911 at Waterside in Thorne.

I've just found "George Poskitt Beaumont" at Waterside in 1891, surely that's the same man as in 1901 and 1911.

Frank.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 28 July 17 14:26 BST (UK) »
Good find Frank. 'George Sockitt Beaumont' ag lab on ancestry  RG12; Piece: 3869; Folio: 96; Page: 7.  Maybe he was in the Grenadier Guards under this name? But when did he find time to serve?

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 28 July 17 15:43 BST (UK) »

I wonder if he could be the George Poskitt aged 20 in the Sheffield Independent 8th March 1851 who was given 2 months hard labour for stealing a pound of butter, four pounds of bread and an ounce of tobacco the property of Nathaniel Charlesworth of Fishlake?.................................................................

I wonder if this is the George in question, if so, I wonder if he used this "experience" to try and better himself by joining up when released after his two months hard labour.....................................................

Frank.