Author Topic: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO  (Read 8785 times)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Northampton county records office
« Reply #36 on: Friday 04 August 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
Northamptonshire County Council  have just issued a press release withdrawing the plan (at least for now).

Well done to all those who made their views known.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 04 August 17 17:19 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 04 August 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
U turn  of sorts I gather only for the time being, they are apparently going to consult which they really should have done previously.  Its still 3 hours per week less than currently and only half a Saturday once a month instead of the existing 9-4pm.  There is still the possibility that after a consultation they will try and reduce the hours the same unfortunately. :-\
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 04 August 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
What I was wondering and no one seems to have brought it up that I am aware of is what do the statutory legislation in respect of archives say about free access, given that some institutions are legally required to deposit certain documents there so that we can all see them eg parish registers. Its a bit thick for us to pay for archives through our council tax and then be told we cannot visit them unless we pay again  ::)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 04 August 17 18:46 BST (UK) »
I think the issue of statutory legislation has been brought up in the closed Facebook group, at least in relations to "public records" deposited there, but can't remember what the viewpoint was.  I believe its definitely been looked at by campaigners against the changes.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:28 BST (UK) »
I signed the petition regarding the charging at NRO - and I received a communication this morning saying that there has been a rethink and NCC have considered all that has been said by those who use the archives, read all the comments and decided that they WILL NOT be charging and research will be FREE as it has always has been.
This is exactly what was said:-

'Northants County Council has reviewed its decision to change opening hours at its archives and heritage services after listening to the views of its regular users and supporters.

The archives service will now be open for free access Tues, Wed, Thurs 9am - 1pm and 2pm - 5pm and the first Saturday in each month, 9am - 1pm.

In light of financial pressures and reducing visitor numbers, there will be a review of the service ahead of the next financial year as part of the budget setting process and this will include a full consultation around any proposed changes.

In 2016, the service was visited by a total of 3,500 researchers, a drop of 50% compared with 2006.

County council cabinet member for public protection, strategic infrastructure and economic growth Cllr Andre Gonzalez de Savage said: "Having listened to the views of our service users here in Northamptonshire and across the UK, a decision has been made to reconsider the proposed changes to opening hours.
"However, given our significant financial challenges, changes to customer behaviour and a growth in online enquiries, we need to consider how best to use our limited resources and will be reviewing the service in the coming months as part of the annual budget process.
"As part of this service users will be able to provide their feedback ahead of any changes being implemented"

So although they appear to have kept the status quo, it doesn't mean that they won't in future decide to charge. At least people using the services will get some chance to comment and contribute. Whether they will be able to continue to provide a free service is any bodies guess!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 05 August 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
The important thing is to use the archives .....

I spent 2 hours in a county archive yesterday, with about 4 staff working (that I saw) and I was the only researcher there during that time.

If archives don't get used, any future arguments against reduced opening hours will get much weaker.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 05 August 17 18:19 BST (UK) »
My mother paid a quick visit to NRO on a Wednesday afternoon a few weeks back to photograph a bastardy bond as my parents were in the area (if I'd known it would have been more than one document but wasn't told in advance they were possibly going :-X).  She said there were only about 3 other people in there at the time doing research.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
Re: serious changes of opening hours at the NRO
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 05 August 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
For those who haven't actually visited this CRO, it is inaccessible by public transport, and has no shops or cafes within walking distance.

On the contrary, the two bus stops at the top of London Road, a 5min walk from NRO, are served by several buses an hour from/to the town centre, as well as direct buses once an hour from/to Corby, Kettering, Wellingborough and Milton Keynes.
For those who wish to stretch their legs at lunchtime, once safely across the main road at the new lights, the footpath/cycle track to the west takes you to Tesco, and to the east to Wyevale Garden Centre and Waitrose ... all serve refreshments and all are no more than a 15min walk (or a few minutes drive).

Whilst none of us are happy with the changes, let's not paint the picture of NRO any darker than it is already or they'll never get the numbers back up.  :)
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017