Author Topic: Lizzie Nagle death / burial  (Read 1543 times)

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lizzie Nagle death / burial
« on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother was Lizzie Nagle (nee Callaghan / O'Callaghan).  She grew up in Ballyclough, Ireland - a Roman Catholic family.  She married in 1912 and had at least 4 chidlren.  Her husband died in Ireland in 1928 - she was still alive.

Several of her children moved to the Ealing / Brentford area.  One is buried in the Greenford Park cemetery and another in the South Ealing cemetery.

My mum tells a story that her mum told her that her mum (i.e. my great grandmother Lizzie Nagle) died during a visit to the family in England (presumably Brentford / Ealing), but no one would pay for her body to be sent back to Ireland, so presumably her death was registered in England and she was buried or possibly cremated in England.

I'd like to find her death / burial details.  Any advice on where to start?  I can get to London fairly easily, so could for instance browse records at the LMA or go to cemetreries.  Where should I be looking?

Ancestry.com etc. appears to yield nothing.

Many thanks

Mike

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lizzie Nagle death / burial
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:18 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD.org.uk shows a couple of possibilities?

September qtr 1930
Kensington Registration District     vol 1a, page 129

Nagle, Elizabeth     age 55

March qtr 1954
Islington Registration District     vol 5c, page 1059

Nagle, Elizabeth     age 85
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea as to when she was born? This would help in pinning down a death. Also was she an Eliza or an Elizabeth?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:19 BST (UK) »
What I am interested in is the records I can view in London that can't be viewed on line.  Any thoughts?

She married Maurice Nagle in 1912 at the Roman Catholic church in Castlemagner, Kanturk, Co. Cork.  Her name is Lizzie Callaghan and her father is Patrick O'Callaghan.

Her name on all 4 children's birth record (born in Ballyclough, Mallow, Co. Cork - adjacent to Kanturk) is Lizzie Nagle formerly Callaghan or O'Callaghan.

I can't tie her down anywhere else, so don't know if she is Elizabeth or Eliza.

However, there is a Mary Callaghan (father Patrick Callaghan) who married a Patrick Nagle in 1908 at the Roman Catholic church in Castlemagner, Kanturk, Co. Cork so I have assumed this is her sister and her husband's brother.  I have found this family on the 1911 census, which gives Mary's age as 23, so born around 1888.  This gives several possibilities for their parents.

From this I assume that Lizzie was between 18 and 30 when she married in 1912, so born between 1882 and 1896, which ties in with her sister's DoB.  That gives the Islington death outside this window.  The Kensington death fits that window, so is intriguing, but why Kensington?  Where could I look to clarify?

Many thanks

Mike

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:24 BST (UK) »
It simply isn't possible to view BMD Certificates - you have to purchase a copy.

Otherwise you would need Parish Registers - but Catholic Registers aren't as readily available as C of E registers.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is my question.  What parish records or other documents are available to view at LMA or similar places or at churches that might be worthwhile and aren't available on line?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 July 17 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Finding deaths and burials in London & Middlesex is a tricky business as you are finding.

The number of sources online is limited but growing.

And the LMA may not be the best place to check if she was a practicing Catholic.

Deaths are recorded in the registration district of death not the last known abode. She might have died away from home, in hospital for example.

Kensington is almost adjacent to Ealing, in terms of borough.

If you're not familar with the area try this brief outline map

http://directory.londoncouncils.gov.uk/

A 20th century Catholic burial in this area would be in a cemetery as you have found with the 2 you mention.

Depending on her last address, she might have been buried at St Mary's Roman Catholic Cemetery at Kensal Green.

https://sites.google.com/site/stmaryskensalgreen/

They have created their own database of records but it is not publically available. You would really need a date of death to confirm any entries with them.

What home addresses do you have for the Greenford & South Ealing burials? There might be something there worth following up.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline mikeblake101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 July 17 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

The only address I have is 190a Northfield Avenue in Ealing where one of her daughters was living when she married in 1940 - I imagine this is before she died, but don't know for sure.

I had wondered about searching through the electoral registers to see if I could find other addresses associated with the family.  How might addresses help with the search for a burial record?

Mike

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 July 17 12:11 BST (UK) »
See also this topic looking for Lizzie's birth in Cork-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775834.msg6294383#msg6294383
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!