Author Topic: Cowlishaw Row later Long Row Shardlow  (Read 3200 times)

Offline tidgie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cowlishaw Row later Long Row Shardlow
« on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know when Cowlishaw Row / Long Row Shardlow was built?
Carroll, Burt, Kent
Workman, Worcestershire.
Vale, Murray,  Birmingham
Lowe, Oxfordshire

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: long row shardlow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:35 BST (UK) »
Duplicate request under Derbyshire Completed Look Ups:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=776143.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: long row shardlow
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 12:51 BST (UK) »
I believe it might be the road running north through the middle of the letter G of GREAT here:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.8720&lon=-1.3400&layers=6&b=1

Is there a particular reason you are asking this? Are you interested in the road, or the houses built on it and/or the people who lived there at a particular time?

Offline tidgie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cowlishaw Row later Long Row Shardlow
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you!

I'm interested in the history of the row of terraced houses, when they were built/the history of the families that used to live there.

Do you know the date of this map?
Carroll, Burt, Kent
Workman, Worcestershire.
Vale, Murray,  Birmingham
Lowe, Oxfordshire

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
This may help a bit more:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18.342948420588655&lat=52.8711&lon=-1.3396&layers=6&right=BingHyb
(This is zoomable and scrollable)

The map series is 1888-1913. You can select different maps from the pull down menu top left.

The road does not appear much changed between then and now.

The style of the housing might give you an idea as to the age. I will have a look on google street view later.

Added: I'm afraid that google maps street view won't let me go up Long Row. I can only catch a glimpse of the houses on Long Row from Wilne Lane - they are likely to be Victorian judging by surrounding buildings, but I will see if I can come up with anything more.

By the way, as you are looking for residents of the road, do you know that you can search Find My Past by address? I don't have a subscription so can't check. If you don't have a sub, your local library might?

I notice you have added "Cowlishaw Road" to your subject heading. Where did you discover the earlier name?

The earliest one on this site is 1882:
https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/Map/443500/330500/12/100152

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 August 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
This image of the 1835 Ordance survey map is not very clear
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01khl/
but it appears to show Long Row as a road or lane. It is not easy to see if your row of houses has been built yet. Finding the right location on the full sized map might give you a clearer picture. It is possible there were farmlands along the road, but at least it shows that there was a road or lane there in 1835.

Offline Bets123

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have now created my own account, I was researching this with my Nan (tidgie) yesterday.

Thank you for all of the information that you have found. I have looked at findmypast but didn't want to pay for the subscription, I will have a look at libraries!

I discovered Cowlishaw Row from the census, I researched it and found out from this website, which confirms the change of name:
http://homepages.which.net/~shardlow.heritage/shwpcarri.htm

There is also an old photo on this page of Long Row, unfortunately it is a Private Road so can't be seen by Google, however this shows them in their original state!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 August 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Bets123.

The website you linked to looks to contain loads of information about the inhabitants of Long Row and seems to answer all the questions you were asking.

Presumably the photo of the terrace of houses in Long Row is the same row that you are researching? It looks like a normal row of Victorian Terraces to me. I don't know if this is a reference to the same Row, but presumably it is because there are twenty of them, and they are still there today. The website says:

The land to the South of the canal (No. 27 on the 1852 plan) was given to William, whose sons sold it. Part of the land to the North of the canal (No. 25 on the 1852 plan) was laid out as a road (originally called Cowlishaw's Row, now Long Row) and all of the children got together and in about 1840 built a row of 20 houses, owning 4 each and the plot on the opposite side of the road on which two of them built a further two short rows of 4 houses each. Many of these were occupied by boatmen (see section on Soresby with photo). In 1891 Cowlishaw's boatman John Woolley lived here with his wife Charlotte and his grandson.

Is there a specific family who you are researching? If so, if we can find them at Long Row on the census, we might be able to see the neighbours also living in Long Row.