Author Topic: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.  (Read 7656 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 03 August 17 10:13 BST (UK) »
Marriage documents are available on another site for some of  the family.

You have listed the four earlier children in reply #15, then there is Mary C (Catherine/Kate); Mary A (Adelaide?); Ann T and Jessie so that is 8 that we have seen.
I have just seen 3 trees for Catherine, Adelaide and Jessie but they only go from their marriages. No earlier censuses.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie and Mary Gearing. I can't find any birth records, and i'm new to this.
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 03 August 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
This is the 1871 Census - 2 Smarts Buildings, St. Giles - ref.RG10 - 345 - 73 - 48

Ann Gearing   Wid.   34      Mangler                    born Westminster, Middlesex
Emily Jane Gearing   8                                       born Lambeth, Surrey
Ann T. Gearing         5                                       born St. Giles
Mary A. Gearing       2                                           ditto
Maria C. Gearing      9mos                                     ditto

I can account for 8 children (or 9 if Jessie is not the Mary Ann b.1874):

William Whinfrey    birth regd June qtr.1858 St Giles
Frances Maria         birth regd Sept.qtr.1859 St Giles
Elizabeth Ann         birth reg'd Jun.qtr.1861  Lambeth (died 1861)
Emily Jane             birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1863 Lambeth
Ann T. bc.1865/1866 (who seems to become Catherine/Kate)
Mary Adelaide  bc.1868/1869
Maria C. born 1870
Mary Ann  birth reg'd Mar.qtr.1874 Lambeth (who may have become Jessie)
?Jessie bc.1874-1876

Clearly some of children had one name as a child and grew up as something else.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 03 August 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
I didn't check but thought that Mary C was Catherine?

Added

I think you are right because Ann has a Mary with her after Kate's marriage  ::)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 03 August 17 12:48 BST (UK) »
Burial for Maria Frances Gearing 11 months in 1862.

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone the plot thickens. I've got the most confused tree ever. My tree has a lot of people on it that today i've found another tree has.

On Jessie wedding the witnesses were Woodley  and Miller. Woodley was married to Anns sister Emily. Emily and her husband both died in the war when a bomb hit the house.

I thought who was William Miller on the wedding certificate? At first I thought it was Jessie sister called Ann, because when mum Ann was a widow there is a daughter called Ann on the census, but when married the dad reads William, so its not Ann's sister that married a William Miller. I've hit on a tree called Robinson & Gibb family tree. This tree has a lots of linking names. I've messaged the person of the tree today, but they haven't come back to me yet. On there tree is a wedding

Elizabeth Annie Miller
1888–1972

BIRTH 10 JULY 1888 • St Saviour, Southwark, Surrey
DEATH MAR 1972 • Rotherhithe London

to

Alfred Phillip Elsey
1882–1948

BIRTH 21 DEC 1882 • Greenwich, London
DEATH DEC 1948 • Rotherhithe London

can anyone tell me what the wedding reads? I see Ann Thackerrey but its in Canada, and I've only got UK so I can't read it.

Look at this census  I have for my G Gran Jessie with no birth, and below on this you'll see my Gran Jessie. Surely there must be a link?

143, Silwood Street, St Paul Deptford, Greenwich
Name   William J Miller  (this is above mt G Gran)
Age   33
Relation to Head   Head
Birth Place   Southwark

RG13, Piece   525, Folio   173, Page number   34

Annie Miller   33
William Miller   11
Elizabeth Miller   13
Lillie McDonald   8

at the same address

my G Gran
Name   Jessie Measures
Age   25
Relation to Head   Wife
Birth Place   Holborn

James Measures   28
Jessie Measures   4
Mabel Measures   4 Weeks
Annie Thackerey   64

Something links all this, but the persons tree doesn't have Jessie or Ann Thackerrey or any of Jessies Sisters on it.
can anyone solve this ?

Moderator comment: edited for content. Please do not copy and paste census transcriptions from online sites as they are subject to copyright. You must transcribe what you see in the images.

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 03 August 17 22:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry I meant Jessie and James had 12 Children, not Ann the mum. xx

I'm reading all the above and on the persons tree he has a Kate, maybe that is Ann T. ?

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette, I hope you see this.

I'm still looking for Jessie, and i've only just seen where you found a birth for a Mary Ann Gearing that maybe Jessie. Anything is worth a try. I can't see where you found this, so could you give me the info to find the right one, page number etc so I can order it.

Frances Elizabeth Gearing.
Born 2 Dec 1856 2 Smarts Building, south of st Giles. Baptism 21 Dec 1856 st Giles in the field Holborn.

William Whinrey Gearing.
Born 15 March 1858 2 smarts building. Baptish 4 April 1858 Holy Trinity Kingsway, Holborn.

Frances Maria Gearing.
Born 22 Aug 1859  2 Smarts building. baptism 11 Sept 1859 st giles in the field, Holborn.

Elizabeth Ann Gearing.
Born April 1861. St Giles Lambeth.  Baptism 26 April 1863  Holy Trinty Kingsway, Holborn.

Emily Jane Gearing B 29 Jan 1863. Baptism 26 April 1863 Holy Trinty Kingsway, Holborn.

Catherine Maria Gearing aka Kate Born 8 Dec 1864. 2 Smarts building. Baprism 1 Jan 1865 st giles in the fiels, Holborn.

Ann Theresa Gearing Born 4 March 1866. 2 Smarts building. Baptism 22 July 1866 st giles in the field, Holborn.

Mary Ann Gearing Born 26 June 1868. 2 Smarts Building. Baptism 19 July 1868 st giles in the field Holborn.

Maria Charlotte Gearing Born 4 June 1870. 2 Smarts building. Baptism 26 June 1870 st giles in the field Holborn.

Maria was born in 1870, and John Thomas Gearing dies in 1870, so won't be Jessies Dad.

I'm still looking for Jessie, so could you send me where you see a birth of a Mary Ann reg qtr 1874 info i'll order it to see what comes. As you'll see i've still been looking and chipping away at it.

Thank you Jenny

Offline summer days

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 03 February 18 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette, you put with mary Ann Gearing a birth of 18 jan 1874 mothers name is Witton, this sounds hopefull. I only do ancesty and i've put this in. where did you see mothers name of Witton. I'll order this in hope.

Jenny

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 04 February 18 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Jenny

Since the last posting on this was 6 months ago I had to read through this thread again to refresh my memory.

I gave you the birth entry for a Mary Ann Gearing - reg'd March quarter 1874 Lambeth - ref. details are Volume 1d Page 409 (easily found from the birth index on Ancestry).   

The General Register Office where you order certificates have now updated their own births index to show mothers maiden names on births before 1912 (plus the death index now shows ages before 1866) - it is free to register and check the indexes - you only pay when you want to purchase a certificate.   You can now opt to have a PDF copy sent to you by email which costs £6 which you should receive within 5 working days (rather than paying the usual £9.25 for a certificate sent to you by post which normally takes around 7-10 days).  This  PDF service only applies to births and deaths.

https:/www./gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

When I checked the birth entry for Mary Ann Gearing Mar.qtr.1874 Lambeth on the GRO's own site I saw that the mothers maiden name was Witton (if a birth was to a single lady no mmn is shown indicating it was an illegitimate child).   Whether mother Ann named her dead husband as the father of Mary Ann only viewing the certificate can tell.   Again, if she is shown with no father i.e. illegitimate, the birth entry will show her mothers maiden name since Ann was now a widow named Gearing (the name the child registered with as that was Ann's legal name).

Hope all that makes sense.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.