Author Topic: Johnson travelling showmen  (Read 4547 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnson travelling showmen
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 August 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Well, the certificates came - Maiden stone you were right about the information not adding to anything given here (I've never used the Lancashire link as none of my ancestors came from Lancs) but we've now proved the traveller credentials which leaves son in law bemused as to why none of this was ever mentioned by his mum or granddad who he was very close to.
Richard Johnson's 1st marriage to Elizabeth Ely lasted a very short time - he was a widower when he married Annie Burnham Shaw. I'd like to find Richard in 1881 and will now look for Elizabeth's death. And wonder what happened to Richard's children? Should keep me busy for the foreseeable future.
We've decided son in law's obsession with campervans is all in the genes
Thank you all again for this help.
Thanks to LANOPC and Lancashire BMD and the foresight of most of my ancestors over the past 200 years to have been born, married or died in Lancashire, the only marriage certificates I've ordered have been for weddings in Catholic churches. I get them from Preston with the proper signatures on them. I should make a donation to LANOPC & BMD in lieu of the money I've saved on certificates.
LANOPC has more than parish registers. There are some cemetery records and a few workhouse and school admissions. Last week I discovered some electoral registers on it. Quite a few hawkers passed through workhouses. There was a hawker called Elizabeth Johnson died 1882.
Re-reading the posts, I noticed I'd made a mistake with the Johnson-Chapman marriage, and assigned Margaret the name Johnson.
Given the number of photographers who were near the Chapman family on 1881 census, I would expect there to have been photos taken of the shows and the caravans. There may have been photographic booths at the shows so that punters could have their pictures taken. Your camper-van son-in-law might be interested in pics of 19thC camper-vans.

I had a look at Irish records, mainly census. There were more Johnsons than I expected.
Although Norah was born in Ireland, her parents may not have registered her birth there. It might have been registered on British mainland, or not at all. Norah could be short for Honora/Honoria/Hanora/ia.
Have you found baptisms of any children? They might have been anywhere, at any time.
Cowban