Author Topic: Tuberculosis in 1870  (Read 3442 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tuberculosis in 1870
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 August 17 19:48 BST (UK) »
I have an 18 month girl dying in August 1863, death cert states 'teething 6 months scrofula opthalmia 4 months' (scrofula opthalmia being a consequence of TB) and her 31 year old mother dies in February 1865 with the death cert stating 'dyspepsia 2 years, phthisis pulmonalis 16 months'. Hers was a fishing family living on the Scottish coast. It's hard to know if mum caught TB from baby Helena or vice versa, Mum's dyspepsia may be TB related, maybe she was carrying the disease, passed it to her daughter and later succumbed herself. Helena's older brother died on 1864 from unrelated medical issues and the father remarried and lived a long life.
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 August 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
In March 1861 my 3xgreat grans half brother died of "atrophy" which is a wasting disease. He was 13 months old. Atrophy could be TB related. The mother herself died in November 1863, yes, the same woman from Brighton who I mentioned earlier. She died almost 3 years after her baby. So it could be she caught her illness from her son. Or vice versa.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Kelownagurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 August 17 21:40 BST (UK) »
In March 1861 my 3xgreat grans half brother died of "atrophy" which is a wasting disease. He was 13 months old. Atrophy could be TB related. The mother herself died in November 1863, yes, the same woman from Brighton who I mentioned earlier. She died almost 3 years after her baby. So it could be she caught her illness from her son. Or vice versa.

Oh that's interesting.  The woman I was referring to lost a son at 8 mos old due to "atrophy" and that was less than a year before she herself died. I think it said "atrophy from vomiting" tho.  No mention of TB.
SIMPSON, SIMSON, COPPING, HAWKS, HILLS, MARSHALL: Essex
SINCLAIR/SINKLER: Lancashire & Cheshire
SHINGLER: Shropshire
DAVIES: Denbighshire
LORD: Middlesex
SISSON: Cumbria
GOULDRUP/GOLDUP: Kent
NICHOLSON: Durham
LAWTON: Bedfordshire
WILLSON: Yorkshire
LUNDY: Devon
PARK, FLEMING, DARLING, KENNEDY: Lanarkshire
McCARTY: Ireland

Offline Lionrhod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 01:26 BST (UK) »
I've been doing quite a bit of research on TB (most often called "Consumption" in those times) for a book I'm working on. There's an excellent BBC show on youtube called The Forgotten Plague.

Treatments for TB ranged from lung collapse therapy to the Saranac Cure - fresh air, exercise, and "freezing it out" (staying outside in insanely cold weather). I'm not sure when Lake Saranac opened it's doors. It may have been a bit after the 1870s.

An excellent novel based on the TB experience, albeit in the 1920's is Mountain Shadows by Patti Brooks.

Offline Kelownagurl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 08:51 BST (UK) »
I've been doing quite a bit of research on TB (most often called "Consumption" in those times) for a book I'm working on. There's an excellent BBC show on youtube called The Forgotten Plague.

Treatments for TB ranged from lung collapse therapy to the Saranac Cure - fresh air, exercise, and "freezing it out" (staying outside in insanely cold weather). I'm not sure when Lake Saranac opened it's doors. It may have been a bit after the 1870s.

An excellent novel based on the TB experience, albeit in the 1920's is Mountain Shadows by Patti Brooks.

Thanks - I'll check out those videos!
SIMPSON, SIMSON, COPPING, HAWKS, HILLS, MARSHALL: Essex
SINCLAIR/SINKLER: Lancashire & Cheshire
SHINGLER: Shropshire
DAVIES: Denbighshire
LORD: Middlesex
SISSON: Cumbria
GOULDRUP/GOLDUP: Kent
NICHOLSON: Durham
LAWTON: Bedfordshire
WILLSON: Yorkshire
LUNDY: Devon