Author Topic: Father's surname  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Father's surname
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 August 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
At that time your ancestors could have been going to chapel rather than church, because of the Welsh Methodist Revival of the 18th century.  Llangattock indeed is a rural area now, but at that time there was a lot going on in the area, with the quarrying of stone from the mountainside, the building of the Brecon & Monmouth Canal, and various industrial activities going on in the valleys on the other side of Llangattock mountain.  If your ancestors were chapel, then there would not have been any baptism recorded in parish records.  Not sure if chapel records are available for that period, but it certainly was an interesting time historically, with a lot of people moving from place to place, seeking better wages and more comfortable housing conditions.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline zx123

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Father's surname
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 August 17 12:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. It looks like I was barking up the wrong tree.

My ancestors came from the Breconshire areas such as Llangattock and Llangynidr to the more industrialised areas of Beaufort, Ebbw Vale and Tredegar and they are very difficult to find in the records.

all I know for certain is that my great great grandfather William Bevan was married in a parish church in 1864 and buried in a non conformist chapel in 1917.
Medlicott, Bevan,(Monmouthshire,Wales)
Sweet(Somerset,England)
Donovan, Field(Cork, Ireland)