Author Topic: Territorial Army WW2  (Read 899 times)

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Territorial Army WW2
« on: Monday 07 August 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Having completed my dad's RAF war record, I have been asked to do my father in laws. It's not as complicated as dad's, but again it's not straight foreward, so help is requested.
He joined the TA 24 Oct 1938 and was posted to 211 Battery, 53 Medium Regiment RA (TA). But as per his record, I can see no training. Was this done in house with the regiment?

He was with 212 Batt, 64 Medium Regt, but was attached to 68 Med Regt and went to Sudan, (Eritrea), Jan 1941. On 6th July 1942, he was captured at Fuka, North Africa, after the fall back from Mersa Matruh? but was he with still with 68 or 64 Regt's as both were there? I assume 68 as no transfer back to 64 is recorded.

Lastly, he was in POW Camp 344, (Stalag VIIIB) in Poland, and released by allied forces. Would this have been Russian or American troops? (I have been to NA for fathers research, and at the time looked a the POW questionnaire files, but his is not in there).

Appreciate any help or guidance please.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Territorial Army WW2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 17 16:23 BST (UK) »
Training in 38/39 – yes, with the regiment, the annual camp was part of that.  Good stuff here http://53rdmediumregtra.webs.com/  Note his record shows the redesignation of 211 Battery as 210 Battery.

Also good stuff here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Heavy_Brigade,_Royal_Garrison_Artillery#64th_.28London.29_Medium_Regiment (scroll down to 64)

It could well be that the attachment to 68 Regiment was the period when 212 Battery was exchanged with 234 Battery and the former went to Eritrea.  Covered in the Greece/Crete and Middle East paragraphs)

While there should be a CTBA (ceases to be attached) entry when he went back to 64 from 68 the clerks simply didn’t do one.

The history of STALAG VIIIB http://www.lamsdorf.com/history.html records that it was reached by Russian troops on 17 March 1945.  Do you know whether he was among those on the “Long March” or those held by the Russians for a bit?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 August 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
maxD, many thanks for the quick reply and the pointers to be looked at.

As was my father, Eric never talked about his experiences. His photo album and any memorabilia is in the hands of his deceased second wife's family, and requests for me to have a look at them have fallen on stony ground. I understand that there may be photo's of him with a Slovakian family who took him in after he escaped either from a working party, or on the long march, but I have no confirmation of this. I had hoped his POW questionnaire would help, but as mentioned, there 't one. Would that 'Y' list reference (if I could be sure of the first 2 letters) help?

Again, thanks for the reply

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 August 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
No, he was placed on the Y List which was one of the administrative processes for accounting for/categorising people who were not serving with their own unit for whatever reason.  The letters and numbers are the document reference.  My guess is that he went on leave and discharge followed formally later.

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bradbrad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
maxD. Appreciated all info and pointers. I intend to have a look at the ORB's for 64 and 68 Medium Regts at NA in the near future. Besides the POW questionnaires which was a negative enquiry, does anyone know of other files that may be of assistance as finding out about father in laws "released by allied forces" comment in his record?

Thanks for any help again.

Alan B