Author Topic: (COMPLETED) - OPR Marriage 1854 lookup please John Menzies and Marion Lumsden  (Read 2367 times)

Offline Mollydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Could somebody please help me and do an OPR marriage lookup for:

John Menzies and Marion Lumsden 19 May 1854 Parish of Bathgate, County of West Lothian.

I ordered Banns & Proclamation of Marriage dated 30 April 1854 online from Scotlandspeople, which I received after paying Australian $23.  I am very disappointed because I thought I was going to receive some sort of marriage document, but it doesn't look like it.  The only information on the Banns was their names, no other information at all!  I was really hoping to find out the father and/or mother or any little bit of info of John Menzies to continue my search.

Regards
Mollydog
Menzies (Scotland)
Beattie (Scotland and Ireland)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: OPR Marriage 1854 lookup please John Menzies and Marion Lumsden
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 August 05 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mollydog,
If you are researching before 1855,(ie.......certificates as in civil registration).
You are better off, going to you local Mormon centre, and for $5 ordering in the Parish films....... the folk there will help you...
after anything from 10 days to several weeks, the film will come in, and you can view it for 3 weeks.
you will see exactly the same info, as from Scotlandspeople....
after 1854 is when scotlandspeople come into their own...and for $3 you can down load the certificate.
At the Mormon centre, you can still order in the films which contain the actual certificate, up to 1875 in most cases.

godd luck.
kenjo
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline Mollydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 15 August 05 00:24 BST (UK) »
Excellent suggestion Kenjo.  I didn't think you could do that from Australia.  There is an LDS close by to where I live.  I will give it a go.

Regards
Mollydog
Menzies (Scotland)

Offline kenjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 15 August 05 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mollydog,
You will have a great time at the Mormons.
you can also order in all the census as well as Parish registers.
kenjo ;D
Pattillo, Connon, Shand, Mackie, Hickey, Brooks, Ryan.

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: (COMPLETED) - OPR Marriage 1854 lookup please John Menzies and Marion Lumsde
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 December 05 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Mollydog, you know that the death certificates of these people will very likely have their parents on it (which helps you get back further to look for christenings the next generation back?)
Cas
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline Mollydog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: (COMPLETED) - OPR Marriage 1854 lookup please John Menzies and Marion Lumsden
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 December 05 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Casliber

I have since confirmed who John Menzies parents were.  Unfortunately his death certificate had both his parents listed incorrectly!  I am now searching a further generation back, which is proving to be most difficult.

Regards
Mollydog
Menzies (Scotland)