Author Topic: James Brown and two women in Edinburgh - could it get any more difficult?!  (Read 5517 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: James Brown and two women in Edinburgh - could it get any more difficult?!
« Reply #36 on: Monday 14 August 17 10:10 BST (UK) »
Annie got married in 1915? Where was this and what address did she give on her marriage cert? The same with Elizabeth some years earlier. Where was Elizabeth living at the time of the 1911 census?

Similarly, when searching for possible deaths for James Brown, where did Elizabeth and Annie live after they married. From what you mentioned, tilliemay, Isabella/Jeanie came to live with Elizabeth in her later years? Do you know approx. when that move took place?

Sorry...questions, questions  ::) ;)

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tillimay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 00:01 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the late reply, been a busy day!  :P

Monica - when Elizabeth was married in 1907, her address was the same as her husband in Fountainbridge. Her husband's family lived in Fountainbridge in the 1901 Census but at a different number.  I'm guessing they were staying with his family, who had probably moved up the road.

When Annie was married in August 1915, her address was in the Potterrow.

I have found Elizabeth in the 1911 Census living just with her husband and two young daughters - Isabella age 3 and Jeannie age 1 in Grove Street.  Checking the addresses on the birth certificates of her other children, I'm sure that Elizabeth was living at the Potterrow address from 1915 until at least 1931.  I checked the Valuation Rolls, hoping to find James or Isabella as the registered occupant thinking it may be a family address, but Elizabeth is the named occupier tenant from 1920 to 1930.  Elizabeth was probably the tenant occupier in 1915, when Annie was married, but the VR is made up before the date of Annie's marriage.

As Annie married during WW1 her husband was on active service with the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, his address on enlistment was his parents in Paisley.  Annie's first child was born in 1917 in Edinburgh, while Annie's husband was still on active service.  It could well be that Annie was staying with family, possibly at the Potterrow address.  I haven't got the birth certificate to check the address but I'll get it when I go to SP.  After the war they lived most of their married lives in Elderslie, just outside Paisley.

In answer to the last question about when Isabella moved, I know that initially she went to live in Elderslie with Annie but I don't know when or for how long.  When she became ill Elizabeth went to Elderslie to pick her up and took her to her new address in Niddrie, where she died in 1945. 

Sadly, still no clue where James was living but I'll do some more work with the Valuation Rolls, which give occupations.  That will need to be a visit to SP - which will be another busy day!  ;)

Kay - the marriage definitely looks right but I don't know how we can prove it's our Jeanie/Janey.  When I saw she had a younger sister called Isabella, I wondered if she had taken on her children but that still doesn't explain where the name Cumming came from.  I'm losing the plot slightly - I'm very grateful for your fiddling!  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
There is a James Brown, slater by trade, showing in the post office directories/valuation rolls from at least 1915 to 1933. The address given is 135 Easter Road in Leith. Not sure if this address would be North or South Leith? At least one possible death for a James Brown in each on SP between 1933-45.

There are also further entries on Easter Road from the early 1900s for a James Brown.

A further James Brown, chimney sweep and slater shows as 2 Lyne Street. He shows there earlier on the 1901 census so certain this is not the correct entry.

Monica

Offline Hibee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Adamsrow, 1914
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 13:35 BST (UK) »
Easter Road would be South Leith.
Midlothian: Adam(s), Meikle/Muckle
Leith: Bridges
Edinburgh: Brown
Prestonpans: Bird, Inglis
Fife: Wemyss
Orkney: Brock
Ireland: Sweeney

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Hibee  :)

On a separate front, can't see 1891 so far for the Montgomery family but this looks like them in 1901:

Hugh Montgomery 56 Cattleman On Farm b. Ireland
Elizabeth Montgomery 55 b. Dalserf, Lanarkshire
Elizabeth Montgomery 16 b. Hamilton
Christina Montgomery 14 b. Glasgow
James Montgomery 7 b. Glasgow

Address: 3 Scotstown Place, Cambuslang Lanark

I think Elizabeth Anderson/Montgomery died in the 1920s in Rutherglen.

Monica

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Well found Monica.   I can't see them either in 1891

Kay

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
Good find Monica. I can see a birth for an Elizabeth Anderson Montgomery in Old Monkland in1881 (there is a birth record for her on Family Search naming parents as Hugh Montgomery and Elizabeth Anderson Montgomery) and a death for her in 1882. There is a birth for an Elizabeth  Anderson Montgomery in Hamilton in 1885, which matches with the place of birth in the 1901 census.

I can see a Christina Montgomery b 1887 Glasgow showing as niece to Elizabeth Pattison and her brother Samuel Montgomery (both born Ireland) in 1891 in  Glasgow but cannot say if it is the correct person.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
We need James Brown's death to explain it all!

Something along the lines of: he married Isabella Cummings, left her with baby Rose and rejoined the army where he had already been for some years (and why he was hiding from earlier censuses). Then met Jeanie Montgomery, fell in love and had at least 3 girls with her (maybe more with some deaths?). Couldn't divorce Isabella Cummings. Covered everything up with Jeanie going by the name of Isabella Cummings. Even daughters Elizabeth and Annie got confused and messed up when naming their mother......etc

If only  ;D

Monica

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 15 August 17 17:23 BST (UK) »
I would love to know the story the daughters were told.  ;D

Kay