Author Topic: Tracing McGreevy (Sometimes spelled McGreevey)Family in Belfast  (Read 5307 times)

Online Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing McGreevy (Sometimes spelled McGreevey)Family in Belfast
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 09 July 20 13:44 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

The thing thats confusing me is the James McGreevy i have thats son of Richard McGreevy is born abt 1843 and is married to an Elizabeth Phillips. They had 7 children one being my great great granda Thomas. Would love some help in finding out if its the same Richard Sea Captain

Here's the marriage in 1861, with his surname spelt as McGrievey.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1861/09604/5482769.pdf
His father is Richard, who is a pilot (of a tug or pilot boat?)

Birth of Richard McGreevy in 1867    #165
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03501/2286769.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Bee1710

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 09 July 20 17:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply. Yes i found all that stuff im just wondering if the James D McGreevy born to Sarah McGrath and Richard is actually John? He seems to be referred to as J McGreevy fireman also. The James married to Elizabeth Phillips seems to have a birthdate of 1843 and i cant seem to find a baptism record referring to this date but strong indications that his father is the Richard McGreevy other posters are talking about. Sorry if this sounds confusing my heads melted trying to work it out lol

And if Richard is this James father has anyone found a baptism record for him yet? As i would love to try and get back abit further

Offline rarauk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 25 February 21 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Not sure if anyone is still researching. I believe Richard McGreevy & Sarah McGrath are my 4G grandparents.

Son John c1850 - 1909 who married Margaret Brunton in 1873 Belfast.
Had 11 Children (found via irishgeaneology)

Their son Thomas McGreevy c1887 married Jeaneatte Moane.

Daughter Annie b1914 married John Keenan.

I have Richard bc1825, parents Cornelius McGreevey & Anna/Nancy Timon.

I have dna matches on both Moane & McGreevey lines but still trying to confirm information. I would love to have confirmations to add to my tree if anyone would like to help out. My Irish branch of my tree has only relied on dna matches & Irishgeneaology records.

Siddons/Seddon(s)~Leicestershire, Dorset
Lewis~Dorset
Chard~Dorset
Hunt~Dorset
Ironside(s)~Durham, Dorset
Ferrett~Kent/Middlesex, Dorset
Porter~Somerset, Dorset
Moxom/Moxam/Moxham~Wiltshire, Dorset
Lovell~Dorset
Soper~Dorset

Offline Bee1710

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 February 21 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes I’m still
tracing this line. My great x3 grandfather James is Johns brother. If you read my other threads it explains my mystery. I know of another girl tracing the line you are used f John. Did you find Richards birth certificate? Was he born in the docks or elsewhere? I always thought his dad was called Richard too

Offline gargoyle666

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 October 21 10:55 BST (UK) »

... When I checked Greencastle RC Graveyard inscriptions, I found this:
Erected by Richard McGreevy, in memory of his beloved wife Sarah McGreevy, who departed this life 4th August 1864, aged 37 years, also John McGreey [sic], who died 31st October 1909, and John McGreevy, who died 12th September 1963, also his wife Mary, who died 14th September 1963, RIP ...

also John McGreey [sic], who died 31st October 1909 presumably was the man in the following 1909 death record, reported as the 51 year old husband of Mary Ann McGreevy of 41 Little George's Street, which reads across to the folk in the following 1901 census return (don't know why John's age is so 'out'):

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1909/05446/4523779.pdf

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Little_Georges/936599/

Widower John McGreevey, son of Richard McGreevey a pilot, married Mary Ann (nee Quinn) Cowden in St. Patrick's on 27 October 1901:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10324/5758466.pdf

Hi, I too have been doing research on the McGreevy clan as part of an outlying branch of my tree and I believe I can clear up some of the confusion surrounding this particular branch and the ages of some of the members. The 1901 census listed above contains the record for Mary Ann Cowden, John and Annie McGreevy. This is March 1901, a year after John McGreevy married Anne Rice and their first born child Henry McGreevy would be born at this address ( 41 Little Georges St.) on April 17 1901. John was the son of John McGreevy ( who died 1909 and is memorialised on the headstone in Greencastle cemetery ) and this is the John who married Mary Ann Cowden ( nee Quinn) the widow from the census later that year in October of 1901. The John from the census died in October 1917 during the war and is buried at Tower Hill Memorial in the UK.
There is definitely some repetition in this family tree with a lot of John's, James', Richards, Anne's being repeated throughout time and across family groups and it is easy to get them mixed up and I have done so myself a few times before getting them straightened out. Thanks for finding this 1901 census as I hadn't located it because of the misspelling of the surname but it slots in nicely now and corroborates other bits of information which I did have already.
So to reiterate, Mary A Cowden was the future stepmother to the John McGreevy in the census and John was married to the Annie McGreevy listed there ( Annie was not the daughter of another McGreevy as a later reply believed).
If anybody has any questions about any other McGreevy I would be happy to help out.
Garrett