Author Topic: A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings  (Read 2801 times)

Offline cir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 September 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Although you have now resolved the original question.......

Having walked up and down Piccadilly numerous times your post caught my interest. No 1 is at the bottom of the street, which is very steep, on the right hand side looking downhill. It is now probably one of the few areas of the city which has original Victorian buildings pertaining to the Wool Trade. Although many warehouses and merchants were based over in Little Germany near the then parish church, others were located near the centre. As I recall Piccadilly, on the left hand side housed a number of the big names of wool merchants and the legal profession. Hammond Suddards comes to mind. Now all has gone. Running parallel to Piccadilly is Darley Street (to the west). This was one of the main shopping areas and housed the entrance to the old Kirkgate Market, demolished for the then Arndale Centre. Further up Piccadilly was the back door to Woolworths and also the back door to Marks and Spencers, which allowed you to go through the store into Darley Street. Piccadilly was always a quiet backwater as I recall which housed some of the engines of commerce for the then mighty wool industry behind closed doors. 

Hope this is of interest.   C

http://www.bradfordtimeline.co.uk/g1833a.jpg

Ramsden (Stanley nr Wakefield) and Roo (Horsforth) in West Yorkshire, UK

Offline Beavances

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A local knowledge of Bradford ? Exchange Buildings
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 September 17 00:15 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Cir - the extra background information you have added to my original enquiry has  helped create am image of the area. I am not familiar with Bradford at all so all local knowledge is really appreciated.