Author Topic: Help on Co. Monaghan Townland: Clonnagore  (Read 4320 times)

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help on Co. Monaghan Townland: Clonnagore
« on: Monday 01 August 05 14:04 BST (UK) »
My GG Grandfather, James Henry LEONARD was born to Christopher LEONARD and Eliza (SMITH) about 1818 in the townland of Clonnagore, Co. Monaghan.

I have obtained a copy of the 6 inch first edition ordnance maps produced for the Griffiths Valuation that includes Clonnagore, which is shown as being located on the Clones to Wattle Bridge road. Lying in the parish of Drummully, Clonnagore is in Monaghan but on the border of Fermanagh. The single notable geographic feature is a small lake, Clonkeelan Lough, which lies approximately half in Clonnagore and half in the neighbouring townland of Clonkeelan.

I would like to obtain the largest scale possible modern map that covers the townland of Clonnagore. However, relying on the Internet from my current place of residence in Asia it is a bit difficult to decide what is the best option. It would appear that Map 27 Upper Lough Erne of the Irish Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 Discoverer Series (http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/example_ACD.cfm?ProductID=46) may be the best bet. Any advice on whether this is the best option would be most welcome.

There is also a 1:25,000 map of Upper Lough Erne (http://www.irishmaps.ie/product/display.cfm?ProductID=10) but no detail of area covered. Again, any advice on if this map includes my target area would be appreciated.

Incidentally, do townlands play any role in modern Ireland or are they only of historical significance?

Offline Denny B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Co. Monaghan Townland: Clonnagore
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 05 03:39 BST (UK) »
I have the 1:50,000 map and it shows a Clonnagore in the upper part of the Drummully salient or enclave - the "thumb" of Monaghan that sticks into Fermanagh.  There is a Clonkeelan just north which is near a river, but there is no lake.  I am interested in the Clonoony Townland SW of yours.  Supposedly, my grgrgrandfather, Hugh McGuire was born there in 1807.  If you get or see the 1:25,000 and it is better, let me know.  If you Google "Clonoony" and look for an entry with GMANE in it, you will see some pictures border crossings, one just north of your townland.  I am working on finding out what map was used, since it names buildings.

Dennis

Offline Denny B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 05 03:43 BST (UK) »
Almost forgot, where did you get the  Griffiths Valuation map, and does it include Clonoony?  It is on the road to Wattle Bridge just as it crosses out of Monaghan into Fermanagh.

Dennis

Offline RKL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 05 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis

Thanks for the feedback. I have the Griffith Valuation map. The copy provided to me shows part of Clonoony. However, my request was for Clonlura and Clonnagore. The maps can be obtained from the Valuation Office, Ireland at http://www.valoff.ie/. They sent me a copy of the current map and archive map, which is helpful. As long as you specify your townland of interest I am sure they will ensure full coverage in the copy provided. This office should be able to tell you if a McGuire is listed in Griffith.

I think I'll just buy a copy of the 1:25,000 map and take my chances.

Kind regards

Keith

Offline Denny B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 05 18:00 BST (UK) »
thanks for the information.  Let me know how the map looks, I may get one too.

Dennis