Author Topic: Identification of Regiment  (Read 1451 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Identification of Regiment
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:33 BST (UK) »
Back again,

That site annoys me just a little because it is so incomplete. I think whoever built it had a part set of players cigarette cards which look just like the pictures on there. I will find mine and see if the blurb is the same.

So no Royal Scots (senior regt after the guards)and several others not mentioned at all. Some 2nd battalions but not all and apart from The Horse Guards no cavalry.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Definately West Surreys but why 1st batt KG?

John915

The website I looked at was quite specific!
I did think it was a little strange, but not having any evidence to the contrary, I simply copied what was written there?

I just put a search in for cap badges and checked the results against the picture  :-[

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
And again,

Forgot to say that the Surrey regt has one of the better web sites which shows all their cap badges over the centuries. Some regtl sites I find are rather sparse whilst others are updated to show the latest regt after amalgamations. Info on individual regts are then a little wanting.

When I was working one of my deliveries was to the garden centre in the old walled garden at Clandon. I would often park up on my way out for a tacho break and go in to the Surreys museum in the cellars of Clandon House. Sadly now a burnt out shell. I have never found out whether all the museum stuff was rescued.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
It is called the Lamb and Flag and if anyone has time to spare here is a short history
http://www.queensroyalsurreys.org.uk/the_lamb/lamb001.shtml

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Also referred to as the Paschal Lamb ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline kesaunders79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 22 August 17 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for everyone's input. The family I thought he maybe connected with were called Jenson of Rotherhithe but I've yet to find anything. There was a relation Julius Frederick Jensen who served in the 5th Reserve Brigade RFA, not the corps I'm looking for at present!  ;D
Saunders, Curnow, Willcocks, Ginno, Hatt, Pleming, Mutton, A'lee, Robinson, Mullins, Reed, Dingle, Elphick, Shepherd, Rogers, Dyer, Pomeroy.