Author Topic: MINIKIN in Newcastle 1851  (Read 3851 times)

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
MINIKIN in Newcastle 1851
« on: Monday 01 August 05 15:29 BST (UK) »
Please could someone with access to the Byker and/or St Andrews 1851 Census Index look for a Robert MINIKIN (of full age in March 1873), father's name also Robert.

I have the Index entries from All Saints, St Nicholas and Westgate.

Many thanks

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MINIKIN in Newcastle 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
I can find one who might be right in the 1871 census.  Do you have that?  age 17 b All Saints Newcastle and living at 1 Swirle All Saints Newcastle.   His father is a Ship Carpenter.    The free trial of two weeks on www.ancstry.co.uk might be well worth it if you have not got him in later census reocrds.
Who did he marry?   That might pin him down in lthe ater census too.  Kids?
Andrea

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea

Thanks, I'll tell you the tale (there had to be one!!)

1 March 1873 at The Parish Church, Byker
Robert MINIKIN of full age Bachelor Guard of this Parish father Robert MINIKIN Cartman
married
Margaret YOUNG of full age Spinster father John YOUNG Hind

By 1881 Margaret's surname is STOVES although she doesn't marry William STOVES until 1884.  With her is a MINIKIN daughter b 1873 and a STOVES son b 1880.

There is a death for a Robert MINIKIN in 1875 age 28 registered Tynemouth, but there were MINIKINs at Howden.

A search of the 1871 Census gave me the Robert you mentioned, but I have that Robert on Census 1861-1901 and if I'm right and my Robert died before 1881 then that can't be him.  I've also searched the 1871 Census for Byker page by page and there are no MINIKIN families there.

I am accumulating all Census data for all MINIKIN families in Newcastle and the 1851 Byker and St Andrews is about the only ones left to search.

With not having my Robert MINIKIN on any Census I have little to work with and of course he could have come from another County.  I have a possible family in 1861 and 1871 in Co Durham, but nothing yet to link him to there.

I'd welcome any suggestions.  Bet you wish you hadn't asked!!

Many thanks

Helen K

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 08:36 BST (UK) »
Will have a look later but my immediate thought was that you should get the death certificate.  That would prove it was him - or not as the case may be.   What was his occupation at Marriage?   Witnesses?  They can be very useful to separate families.
Andrea

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea

I'm waiting for the birth certificate of an Isabella Young MINIKIN 1Q 1876 registered Tynemouth thinking this may be their second daughter.  She died 4Q 1878 Newcastle.

If she is then the death of Robert 4Q 1875 registered Tynemouth is very probable.

Robert's occupation at marriage (as above) was a Guard - no other MINIKIN I've come across is a Guard, Railway or otherwise.

Witnesses at the marriage were John YOUNG (father or brother) and Robert LINDORES (an Uncle of Margaret and resident of Byker), so not much help there.

Regards

Helen K

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 17:31 BST (UK) »
I am having to admit defeat.  I did a wildcard search of 1861 and 71 for Robert Min* and found a surprising number of variant spellings but not a definite match.    The nearest was a Robt Miniken b Quarry Hill Durham age 12 in 1861 and a father Robert, labourer age 50 b Wolsingham Durham.
Keep at it!
Andrea

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 18:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andrea

Yes I have that 1861 Census entry for Robert Snr and Robert Junior.

By 1871 Robert Snr is in Bishop Auckland and a Cartman at the Colliery which would fit in with his son's marriage certificate.

In 1871 Robert Junior is a lodger at Sleetburn and a Stoker, I suppose within 2 years he could have changed Counties and occupation.

I've just checked the 1881 Census for other children of Robert Snr and have found John in All Saints, Newcastle and a Railway Signalman, so the Co Durham connection is looking more promising.

I'll get Robert's death certificate and see if there are any other clues.

Thanks again

Helen K

Offline Carol D

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

I was directed to your post about Robert Minikin in Newcastle.  I am also researching the Minikin family.  'My' Robert Minikin was born in Newcastle in 1822 his father was Benjamin, born 1794.  Do you think there is any connection?

Carol D

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Sadly not, but I have info you may be able to use.

We've been in touch recently via the NORTHUMBRIA list so I'll contact you through your ordinary email address and give you details of what I have.

Regards

Helen K