Author Topic: Connecting U.S. and U.K. Yapp Families  (Read 900 times)

Offline vyapp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Connecting U.S. and U.K. Yapp Families
« on: Saturday 26 August 17 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Was hoping to connect with some U.K. Yapps to do a little detective work. I'm a Yapp based in Los Angeles, USA, and so far I've only been able to trace my Yapp tree to the early 1700s, when my branch of the Yapp family hopped the pond from England (Shopshire? Herefordshire? Gloucestershire?). I have DNA links back to that point (via a distant cousin also living in the U.S.), but nothing connecting across the Atlantic.

So my question to you is whether any of you have heard of certain Yapp family members immigrating to the U.S. between 1710 and 1750? My immigrating ancestor was supposedly named Thomas Yapp, born around 1711; he arrived in Cumberland, Deerfield, New Jersey, USA, sometime after he was born, and from there, he married and started a family. (My branch later moved to New York and then Bourbon County, Kentucky, and then to Vermilion, Illinois, before ending up in Kansas.)

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting U.S. and U.K. Yapp Families
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 August 17 17:35 BST (UK) »
Well unless I've missed something, there appears to be two contenders for your Thomas Yapp.

1.  One born 23 April 1711 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, parents Thomas and Esther.  This one is a Society of Friends (Quaker) birth.

2.  One baptised 1 March 1712 in Kimbolton, Herefordshire, parents Richardi (Richard) and Elizabetha (Elizabeth)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline vyapp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 April 18 03:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply! Will look into those records you listed!

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 April 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Was hoping to connect with some U.K. Yapps to do a little detective work. I'm a Yapp based in Los Angeles, USA, and so far I've only been able to trace my Yapp tree to the early 1700s, when my branch of the Yapp family hopped the pond from England (Shopshire? Herefordshire? Gloucestershire?). I have DNA links back to that point (via a distant cousin also living in the U.S.), but nothing connecting across the Atlantic.

So my question to you is whether any of you have heard of certain Yapp family members immigrating to the U.S. between 1710 and 1750? My immigrating ancestor was supposedly named Thomas Yapp, born around 1711; he arrived in Cumberland, Deerfield, New Jersey, USA, sometime after he was born, and from there, he married and started a family. (My branch later moved to New York and then Bourbon County, Kentucky, and then to Vermilion, Illinois, before ending up in Kansas.)

according to THIS tree - Thomas Yapp  born 4th June 1715 -
 •Deceased 22 July 1796 - Deerfield, Cumberland, New Jersey, United States , age at death: 81 years old

...the tree owner is a Mary Hill - is she related ?...if not you might want to contact her - did your Thomas Yapp have a daughter LYDIA - born 1746 ?...this one does
https://gw.geneanet.org/maryevhill?n=yapp&oc=&p=thomas
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 April 18 07:52 BST (UK) »
Well unless I've missed something, there appears to be two contenders for your Thomas Yapp.

1.  One born 23 April 1711 in Bristol, Gloucestershire, parents Thomas and Esther.  This one is a Society of Friends (Quaker) birth.

I think this one might well have died as there is another Thomas Yates, with the same parents, place and denomination born 4 January 1715.

This might correspond with the one mentioned by garstonite but month modified:

according to THIS tree - Thomas Yapp  born 4th June 1715 -
 •Deceased 22 July 1796 - Deerfield, Cumberland, New Jersey, United States , age at death: 81 years old

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***