Author Topic: Allan Neill Private Royal Army Service Corps service number 224240/ 2202110  (Read 14506 times)

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allan Neill Private Royal Army Service Corps service number 224240/ 2202110
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Since Allan Neill's address was give as Islington on the 1942 birth certificate he had been/or was  in London.  I still feel that this is why Margaret came to London too.     We then know that something traumatic happened around birth of 2nd child.   The mention of Allan Neill possibly being a POW in Singapore would certainly come under 'traumatic' as presumably he would initially have been reported as 'missing in action' and would also explain how the Red Cross came to be involved.  I still firmly believe that Allan Neill was the father of the 2nd. child (if it had been another mans, for instance, I don't think this would entail any involvement by the Red Cross). 

We can't know what effect this had on Margaret at the time and all the various assumptions being made are somewhat fanciful I feel.   

I still feel that the fact the Red Cross were involved would indicate that something had indeed happened to Allan Neill during his Army Service and we simply cannot know why his wife felt she could not cope with her newborn., only that she did.   We only know that she went back to Scotland with her toddler and newborn baby probably with the help of the Red Cross.   Once there she obviously couldn't cope and the baby went into care.   She could initially have gone to pieces and perhaps the relevant families  weren't as supportive as they could have been.  A mention was made earlier of a family member being rejected as being unsuitable to take the baby.

Margaret may have remained in Scotland for quite a while but we just don't know.   The impression given on the thread is that she returned to 'dump' the child and swiftly returned to London and I doubt that was the case.   

The bottom line is that we don't know and I don't think the various negative assumptions are helping.

I would agree that the next step would be to try and find descendants of Allan Neill from a second marriage where more facts/truth of the situation may emerge.

Annette
I can only hope Annette to find someone  who may know the story as the foster/carers never gave her the info it died with them and my lady was left with a little birth cert from when she was registered but what u said does sound more plausible the time span ect I have sent for his 2nd marriage and we shall see after to make sure if any other kids exist although many secrets were kept secrets back then due to circumstance religion ect and perhaps no one knows but at least she now knows she had  a mum and dad and a sister and mum and dad were married tragic thing about it all is back in 1988 she got the big cert with more info and no one took it further for her at that point more relatives would have been alive back then the main ones who probably knew the story....thank you all for your help will carry on when I get more of the certs I have ordered
Buckley Loveridge Upton Lee Harris Miller Wilson Foster Burnside Fury

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
Since Allan Neill's address was give as Islington on the 1942 birth certificate he had been/or was  in London.  I still feel that this is why Margaret came to London too.     We then know that something traumatic happened around birth of 2nd child.   The mention of Allan Neill possibly being a POW in Singapore would certainly come under 'traumatic' as presumably he would initially have been reported as 'missing in action' and would also explain how the Red Cross came to be involved.  I still firmly believe that Allan Neill was the father of the 2nd. child (if it had been another mans, for instance, I don't think this would entail any involvement by the Red Cross). 

We can't know what effect this had on Margaret at the time and all the various assumptions being made are somewhat fanciful I feel.   

I still feel that the fact the Red Cross were involved would indicate that something had indeed happened to Allan Neill during his Army Service and we simply cannot know why his wife felt she could not cope with her newborn., only that she did.   We only know that she went back to Scotland with her toddler and newborn baby probably with the help of the Red Cross.   Once there she obviously couldn't cope and the baby went into care.   She could initially have gone to pieces and perhaps the relevant families  weren't as supportive as they could have been.  A mention was made earlier of a family member being rejected as being unsuitable to take the baby.

Margaret may have remained in Scotland for quite a while but we just don't know.   The impression given on the thread is that she returned to 'dump' the child and swiftly returned to London and I doubt that was the case.   

The bottom line is that we don't know and I don't think the various negative assumptions are helping.

I would agree that the next step would be to try and find descendants of Allan Neill from a second marriage where more facts/truth of the situation may emerge.

Annette
I can only hope Annette to find someone  who may know the story as the foster/carers never gave her the info it died with them and my lady was left with a little birth cert from when she was registered but what u said does sound more plausible the time span ect I have sent for his 2nd marriage and we shall see after to make sure if any other kids exist although many secrets were kept secrets back then due to circumstance religion ect and perhaps no one knows but at least she now knows she had  a mum and dad and a sister and mum and dad were married tragic thing about it all is back in 1988 she got the big cert with more info and no one took it further for her at that point more relatives would have been alive back then the main ones who probably knew the story....thank you all for your help will carry on when I get more of the certs I have ordered
also Margaret was quite young at this time and alone in London

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 21:16 BST (UK) »
There is a possibility that there are living relatives from the sister and half sister in America if only we could find them.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 21:55 BST (UK) »
There is a possibility that there are living relatives from the sister and half sister in America if only we could find them.
I am really trying..

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Thread getting long so not sure if it has been found. This looks to be the divorce entry in Scotland for Allan and Margaret:

Margaret H Milroy or Neill v Allan Neill: Divorce
Ref CS258/22344
Dates 1949
Access status: Closed

http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:34 BST (UK) »
Yes that was found earlier - a year after Margaret married Carl and went to America!  ;)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Groom  :) Did try to find mention of it, promise!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 23:41 BST (UK) »
No worries, as you say the thread is quite long.

I think what Shushie would like to do now is find any descendants of Allan from his second marriage. 

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Neill...Help
« Reply #116 on: Thursday 07 September 17 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Lt Col Carl Clayton Colson & his wife Marga Helene Colson are both listed here: http://files.usgwarchives.net/va/arlington/cemeteries/arlington-col-con.txt

Surname: Colson
Given Name: Carl
Middle Name: Clayton
Suffix:
DOB: 06/15/1919 (15th June 1919)
DOD: 11/01/1962 (1st Nov 1962)
Branch: US Air Force
Sec: 2
Row: 0
Site: 3696 RH
Interment Date: 11/06/1962 (6th Nov 1962)

Surname: Colson
Given Name: Marga
Middle Name: Helene
Suffix:
DOB: 04/19/1923 (19th April 1923)
DOD: 12/25/1999 (25th Dec 1999)
Branch: US Army
Sec: 2
Row: 0
Site: 3696 RH
Interment Date: 07/10/2000 (10th Jul 2000)

It would appear therefore that she was in the US Army with the rank of Private.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
was wondering if the other Colson in this Block was Carls son? he was born in 1944 California, in 1945/46  Carl was in London with Margaret so possible Carl was married also? back in USA