Author Topic: Allan Neill Private Royal Army Service Corps service number 224240/ 2202110  (Read 14374 times)

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alan Neill...Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Groom has it, I think the missing word is "Electrician", RASC did its own repairs before REME was formed.

His number won't come up on line as he is a WW2 soldier, their records are all with MOD still.

MaxD
Thank you ...or engineer? I will take your advice and contact your suggestion again thank you
Buckley Loveridge Upton Lee Harris Miller Wilson Foster Burnside Fury

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:40 BST (UK) »
the baby was abandoned and was in a hospital/home in Scotland yet was born in Islington London she says by the Red Cross? this lady was not adopted but was brought up by another man and woman who already had a daughter, I suspect Milroy is a Scottish name? There was a lady who appearently came to get her (the lady I am researching) I suspect grandmother? but she couldn't provide details of a stable home to take the child so she remained with the couple she grew up with,

She may have been in foster care, but adoptions became legal in England & Wales in 1926, and in Scotland in 1930.
Private adoptions were no longer possible after these dates.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
There is no war death record for an Alan Neill.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:50 BST (UK) »

MaxD
Can I ask how do you know? is it the right Neill? and was he USA?

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 August 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
the baby was abandoned and was in a hospital/home in Scotland yet was born in Islington London she says by the Red Cross? this lady was not adopted but was brought up by another man and woman who already had a daughter, I suspect Milroy is a Scottish name? There was a lady who appearently came to get her (the lady I am researching) I suspect grandmother? but she couldn't provide details of a stable home to take the child so she remained with the couple she grew up with,
could she have been allowed to be fostered all that time without adoption? she states never adopted or could the people fostering be related in some way? and would there be any records do you think?

She may have been in foster care, but adoptions became legal in England & Wales in 1926, and in Scotland in 1930.
Private adoptions were no longer possible after these dates.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:02 BST (UK) »
I know Margaret went on to marry a Carl Colson from USA a Pilot in 1948 I have the marriage cert for them but No father added for Margaret just a strike,

If she married as Milroy, that probably means that she didn't marry Alan Neill, otherwise she would have been down as Margaret Neill formerly Milroy. What status does it give - single or widowed?

What is a bit odd though is the baby was given her father's surname and his name, occupation and address are on the certificate. As I understand it, unless the parents were married, from 1875 the reputed father had to be present at the registration to consent to his name being added. Maybe this lapsed during the war? Margaret seems very definite about the father's information, even giving his service number.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:06 BST (UK) »

MaxD
Can I ask how do you know? is it the right Neill? and was he USA?

I expect that Max checked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site, he doesn't appear on that so is unlikely to have died in the war. http://www.cwgc.org/

Why do you think he was from the USA if he served in the RASC?

Offline SHUSHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:24 BST (UK) »
I know Margaret went on to marry a Carl Colson from USA a Pilot in 1948 I have the marriage cert for them but No father added for Margaret just a strike,

If she married as Milroy, that probably means that she didn't marry Alan Neill, otherwise she would have been down as Margaret Neill formerly Milroy. What status does it give - single or widowed?

What is a bit odd though is the baby was given her father's surname and his name, occupation and address are on the certificate. As I understand it, unless the parents were married, from 1875 the reputed father had to be present at the registration to consent to his name being added. Maybe this lapsed during the war? Margaret seems very definite about the father's information, even giving his service number.
Hi on the birth mother registered the child but had all this info of the dad he was probably away in service? but sounds like she really loved him to give the info and was proud he was the dad weather married or not? her marriage to Colson states Margaret H Colson Milroy Neill that's how I found her so quick without dates it has to be her? perhaps she told the man Colson she was Married to Neill but he was Killed? but I have searched and search can find no marriage for her and Neill there is a lot of secrecy involved in my opinion and her child was a secret she married Colson in 48 her child was born in 42 the time span of giving birth to marrying I doubt the man Colson knew she had this child Perhaps Neill never returned (I know many didn't during the war) Someone on here reading this (sorry I can not think who) said he wasn't killed in the war? Its heart breaking for the lady I am researching for IMO she wonders if this Neill had kids I know her mum had a child with Colson yet to find her but wonder if he went on to marry and have kids they would be my ladies siblings

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:44 BST (UK) »
Looks as if there is a lot of confusion over her name - just look at the different ways it was recorded on FreeBMD! That shows that she was calling herself Colson before her marriage to Carl and had also been known as Neill.

Marriages Mar 1948 
Colson    Carl C            Colson            Surrey Mid.E.   
Colson    Carl C            Neill                    Surrey Mid.E.   
Colson    Carl C            Milroy            Surrey Mid.E.   
Colson    Margaret H    Colson            Surrey Mid.E.
Milroy    Margaret H    Colson            Surrey Mid.E.
Neill    Margaret H            Colson            Surrey Mid.E.    5g   722