Author Topic: Stewarts of Meikle Tombane / Tombane, Little Dunkeld  (Read 748 times)

Offline paulpesda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stewarts of Meikle Tombane / Tombane, Little Dunkeld
« on: Wednesday 30 August 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Has anybody researched the Stewarts of Meikle Tombane or Tombain on some documents? I gather they are linked to Crofcat and Clachran in Dull / Aberfeldy.

James Stewart (1805-1881) and his wife Susan (née Cameron) who was a road surface man. I think he’s linked to the Tombane/bain or Meikle Tombane/bain family of Stewarts at Little Dunkeld. In 1841, they are at Meikle Tombain. In 1851, they are at Croftcat, Dull. After 1861, they move to Clachran, Dull. Father James died in 1881, just after the census was taken. His son James, registered his death, and he was living at Weem.  James’ parents were Alexander Stewart (b.1760) and Christina (née Duff or McDuff on some documents). Now, from what I can see, its father Alexander that is connected to the Tombane/bain.

Another gentleman, who seems to be living alone at Crofcat, Dull in 1841/1851/1861, was Charles Stewart (1830-1881), a shoemaker.  He moves to Clachran, and “dropt down suddenly” on the 5th December 1881, aged 50 years. He was single, and ended up at Bridge End, Aberfeldy?  His parents were William Stewart (1783-1855) a Mason, and Mary (née MacLaren) (b.1796). They too were at Croftcat in 1841/ 1851, but she’s missing from 1851. They only had 4 sons, John Stewart (b.1824), William Stewart (b.1828), James Stewart (who had died in 1845) and the above Charles. There must be a connection between this Stewart line and the above son Charles the shoemaker, as he mirrors their movements, but I just can’t find it!

What I’m trying to establish / research is a possible link with my McNaughtons. When my 2nd great grandfather arrived at Croftcat in 1861, it was his first job as a gamekeeper. they had made quite a move down from Bankfoot to Grandtully, so I’m curious to know if they knew the Stewart family from either their time at Alva, Sterlingshire or Bankfoot, Auchtergaven.