Author Topic: Challis  (Read 8343 times)

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Challis
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 03 September 17 15:36 BST (UK) »
I have found the Sevenoaks address And photos from the farm and house built about 1700

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:17 BST (UK) »
Hi found this, which compares nicely with the 4 year old on the 1861 census

Baptism Rosamond Challis West 10th August 1856 Halstead, Kent Father Godfrey Mother Mary

Her birth registration is FEMALE West September qtr 1856 Orsett v 4a page 99 mmn Challis
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 04 September 17 08:48 BST (UK) »
I don't quite understand (as usual). If Rosamond Mary West was bonr in Horndon 1857/8. How comes she is Batised earlier in Halstead in 1856? Whereby I have come across Orsett in the last few days. It is in Essex not so far away from Horndon

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 04 September 17 08:58 BST (UK) »
My sister has just come back from her trip and she asks is there any info about Mr Booth? Rosamond Challis Booth's husband. Also Frederick Charles Whitten her son-in-law?

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
My sister has just come back from her trip and she asks is there any info about Mr Booth? Rosamond Challis Booth's husband. Also Frederick Charles Whitten her son-in-law?

I have just been wondering is that a new query?

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
I don't quite understand (as usual). If Rosamond Mary West was bonr in Horndon 1857/8. How comes she is Batised earlier in Halstead in 1856? Whereby I have come across Orsett in the last few days. It is in Essex not so far away from Horndon

Keyboard has given an alternative birth registration

Hi found this, which compares nicely with the 4 year old on the 1861 census

Baptism Rosamond Challis West 10th August 1856 Halstead, Kent Father Godfrey Mother Mary

Her birth registration is FEMALE West September qtr 1856 Orsett v 4a page 99 mmn Challis
Keyboard86
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 04 September 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know at the moment where I got the birthplace as Horndon Essex. In 1891 Census said Rose Booth born c.1857 Essex. She was a Rosamond Mary West so is that the same person?

If the birthplace was Halstead Kent then it would make more sense. Her parents lived at Park Farm Halstead near Sevenoaks.  But there is again this difference on the birth date. 1856, 1857,1858. Is this normal?

1871 circa 13 years old in Dartford with Aunt Fanny and Uncle William.

Then suddenly at 24 she is as a seemstress born in Horndon where her father comes from and married to a Frederick Booth????? But it does not say where she lived.

BIG BIG Question are we talking about 2 different persons? The Halstead one matches up with what my sister's information as a small child.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 04 September 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, the Female West birth certificate if purchased I believe will show as parents Godfrey & Mary, the occupation of Godfrey being Saddler or similar, on the 1861 census for the family we have 3 children at home, Thomas Matthew West 3 b Horndon on the Hilll, Maria Mary West 2 b Plumstead and Godfrey 1 b Plumstead, all have mmn Challis
This family moved around Essex/Kent/Surrey possibly all the children were baptised in the parish Church of Halstead?
Godfrey and Mary married in Sevenoaks 1855 possibly in the same church as the baptism in 1856.

Who registered the death of Rosamond?
Keyboard86

PS as a matter of course I would suggest that all those who have assisted on this thread, would never search by the supposed actual year of birth but given birth year +/- 2
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peter winn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 September 17 17:08 BST (UK) »
The death of Rosamond was found in her granddaughters wooden box with lots of papers. We have talked to the cemetary and they have confirmed that she lyes in a common grave with more persons and no stone. We even have the plotz number. My sister and I can remember her dying so I think the dates are pretty correct. I am just worried about different birth towns and different spellings of her christian names.