Author Topic: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824  (Read 5270 times)

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Researching my Family Purcell, Alexander came out from Jamaica born 1824
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth PURCELL 1888 death cert.

Cando
hello yes I have this :)

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:08 BST (UK) »
This is helpful and bride's mother was NOT Catherine HAYES.

Cando
I think but cant prove, that Mary catherine Hayes, was in fact Mary Newall or Mary Hayes aswell, or this might be where Sarah and Elizabeth become two different people and share same fathers different mothers?

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
Who are the Mr and Mrs F SPRING cousins of Alexander Jnr?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article26300241

Jamjar
WOW im over whelmed with all the new research from everyone today, I have no idea who F spring is, but im trying to find out. thankyou

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:23 BST (UK) »

Sydney Monitor 15 Jan 1838 p3
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32158672?

On Saturday, the 13th instant, by Special License, at St. Mary's Church, by the Rev. Mr. M'Encroe,
Mr. John SPRING, of Sydney, to Miss Mary HAYES, eldest daughter of the late Mr. W. HAYES, of News
market, Ireland.

Not to hand just now, but........I think the death record for Elizabeth PURCELL names mother as Catherine HAYES?
I think Mary went under a couple of different names, Mary Catherine, Catherine, or maybe even Mary Newall? still researching on this one.

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
Did Alexander, born Jamaica, happen to die in Victoria?  If so, could this be his death registration?  If so, what information is provided on that document re his possible marriages to Sarah Ada and to Elizabeth?   Would you consider the informant would have been able to provide reliable information?
1885 PURCELL Alexander  Reg. no 9886
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191200961 The Age 9 July 1885
PURCELL.—On the 8th July, at 54 Heath-street, Port Melbourne, after a long and painful illness, Alexander Purcell, the dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth Purcell, ship steward, aged 54 years.....
and your reply  :)
Yes all the above is true and facts, I have no marriage cert only her sisters Sarah and his...Im still thinking Sarah is actually Elizabeth, but they where supposed to been born NSW and only birth cert i can find for either name is Elizabeths born 1849 which would make her 12yrs old when she married. I have Elizabeths childrens marriages Certs, in whcih Elizabeth  has signed, and put Alexander as husband etc

I may have missed the reply, but do you have the 1885 Vic BDM death registration for Alexander?  Vic BDM documents can be very informative, and can include details of marriage/s, naming spouse/s age/s at marriage and name the children of each marriage.

Alternatively, on the birth certs for Elizabeth's children, what information did Elizabeth give as to when and where she married Alexander?  AND do any of those birth certificates list any of the children born to Sarah as though they are full siblings with Elizabeth's children? 

JM
I cant find a wedding cert for him and Elizabeth only Sarahs, on some of the children for for elizabeth and him it sais Alexander is their dad, on his death cert it said he was only ever married to Elizabeth, also have the cemetery record stating Elizabeth and Alex are buried together, or next to one another.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AplGDzaLCsg1qFS2L0o1HPQr4VSt

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:32 BST (UK) »
Have you considered that either wives may have been a SPRING by previous marriage?

Jamjar
eeek no, I had read they where sisters, but im trying to proove they are the same person, Spring by another marriage, something to consider and definitely do my head in haha

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:33 BST (UK) »
Do you have any of the following certificates ?

Births
PURCELL Alexander John
Father Alexander  Mother Sarah Ada SPRING
At Collingwood  1862  Reg#8054

PURCELL John
Father Alexander   Mother Sarah SPRING
At Emerald Hill  1863  Reg#7752     Died aged 1 Day  1863 Reg#4117

PURCELL Adeline Lavinia
Father Alexander  Mother Elizabeth SPRING
At Emerald Hill  1865  Reg#2249

PURCELL Amanda
Father Alexander   Mother Elizabeth SPRING
At Emerald Hill  1869  Reg#22263   Died 1871 aged 1 year  Reg#3784

PURCELL Elizabeth Mary
Father Alexander    Mother Elizabeth SPRING
At Emerald Hill  1869  Reg#2247     

Death - birth not registered
PURCELL Amanda
Father: Alexander     Mother Elizabeth SPRING
1871  1 year  Born Emerald Hill  Reg#3784

I agree with others who would like you to attach the 1861 marriage certificate as a pdf so we need to click on the link to view.  Avoids breaching copyright issues.

There is no death registration for a Sarah PURCELL on my resource.  I tried to check Vic bdm however the registry index is not available due to maintenance.

Cando
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AplGDzaLCsg1qFS2L0o1HPQr4VSt Alex and Sarah Marriage Cert

Offline pepewinsome

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:35 BST (UK) »
Did Alexander, born Jamaica, happen to die in Victoria?  If so, could this be his death registration?  If so, what information is provided on that document re his possible marriages to Sarah Ada and to Elizabeth?   Would you consider the informant would have been able to provide reliable information?
1885 PURCELL Alexander  Reg. no 9886
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/191200961 The Age 9 July 1885
PURCELL.—On the 8th July, at 54 Heath-street, Port Melbourne, after a long and painful illness, Alexander Purcell, the dearly beloved husband of Elizabeth Purcell, ship steward, aged 54 years.....
and your reply  :)
Yes all the above is true and facts, I have no marriage cert only her sisters Sarah and his...Im still thinking Sarah is actually Elizabeth, but they where supposed to been born NSW and only birth cert i can find for either name is Elizabeths born 1849 which would make her 12yrs old when she married. I have Elizabeths childrens marriages Certs, in whcih Elizabeth  has signed, and put Alexander as husband etc

I may have missed the reply, but do you have the 1885 Vic BDM death registration for Alexander?  Vic BDM documents can be very informative, and can include details of marriage/s, naming spouse/s age/s at marriage and name the children of each marriage.

Alternatively, on the birth certs for Elizabeth's children, what information did Elizabeth give as to when and where she married Alexander?  AND do any of those birth certificates list any of the children born to Sarah as though they are full siblings with Elizabeth's children? 

JM
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AplGDzaLCsg1qFS2L0o1HPQr4VSt marriage to Sarah and Alexander, ill put up his death cert now.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 10 September 17 06:36 BST (UK) »
This is helpful and bride's mother was NOT Catherine HAYES.

Cando

Cando kindly posted it already

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.