Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 8097 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 09 June 19 18:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks again

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 13 June 19 08:07 BST (UK) »
Well I eventually got the 1851 census for Elizabeth Storrie 70 year old widow of James Bolton and find now that she was living in Dalkeith with two grandchildren John Davidson aged 7 and Elizabeth aged 5?  I have looked up the birth dates and although I haven't found John, I found an Elisabeth Story Davidson 06.01.1846 at Dalkeith, and another boy Daniel Potter Davidson 24.12.1848 parents William Davidson and Elizabeth Limeburn (Limeburner)  William Davidson married Elizabeth Limeburner at Dalkeith 17.04.1840.

I am now truly baffled as I haven't a clue who these Davidson's are. Helen Bolton married Daniel Potter in 1823 and I have not found any other children for Elizabeth Storrie her mother but found it odd that she only had the one child in 1802.  She was married supposedly to James Bolton so did she have a child with someone else Davidson or Limeburn/Limeburner but what is the affiliation to the Potter's that their children were given their names? 

Daniel Potter Davidson went on to be a house painter the same as Stephen Holdsworth Potter, son of Daniel and Helen?

As anyone any ideas on how to unravel this conundrum?

Eileen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 13 June 19 09:08 BST (UK) »
I have asked Scotland people as to were I can view online the Kirk sessions minutes for Dalkeith for James or William Bolton and Elizabeth Storrie.
Unfortunately you can't view them online (yet). There are plans to put them online but for the present you have to go to the National Records of Scotland in General Register House in Edinburgh or one of the local archives in Scotland that has a link to the NRS Virtual Volumes.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 13 June 19 09:48 BST (UK) »
In the 1851 census there's a family in Dalkeith consisting of William Davidson, 44, nailor, born Falkirk, with wife Elizabeth, 41 and sons William, 12; Alexander, 10; and Da*, 2, all born Dalkeith. FreeCEN transcribes him as David, but SP and one commercial site have Daniel. You must view the original at SP and decide for yourself whether you think it's David or Daniel.

William Sr, Elizabeth, William Jr and Alexander are in the 1841 census in Dalkeith.

In 1861 Donald Davidson, nailor, aged 12, is a lodger in Edinburgh St Cuthbert's. In the same lodgings is John Donaldson, nailor, widower, aged 55, born Falkirk. The names Donald and Daniel are sometimes used interchangeably, so this could be him, but could John be an error for William?

On the other hand, there's a 24-year-old Daniel Davidson, lodger, painter, born Dalkeith and living in Dalkeith in 1871, and by 1881 Daniel is a house painter (transcribed as house printer on a commercial site!) married to Helen and living in Galashiels with 9-year-old son William and father-in-law James Somerville.

John Davidson, 18, plasterer, born Dalkeith, is a lodger in Dalkeith in 1861, and in the same year William Davidson, 22, nailmaker, is in different lodgings there, and 16-year-old Elizabeth Davidson, born Dalkeith, is a boarder in the household of Robina Fowler, 'keeper of female lodgers' in Dalkeith.

A William Davidson, son of Alexander Davidson and Janet Storie, was baptised in Falkirk in 1806. They also had a daughter Christian baptised in 1803.

I think I too am now totally confused. If William's mother was Janet Storie, and his wife was Elizabeth Limeburn(er), who was Elizabeth Storie, and vice versa ???
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:14 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any other children but Helen was born in 1802 and baptised at Dumfries I think Elizabeth nee Storrie was only 16.
This is stating the blatantly obvious, but if Elizabeth Storrie who was 70 in the 1851 census is the widow of James Bolton then (a) she isn't the one buried in London in 1830 and (b) assuming that her age is accurate she was born in 1780/1781 and would therefore have been about 21 when Helen Bolton was born.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:57 BST (UK) »
I haven't found any other children but Helen was born in 1802 and baptised at Dumfries I think Elizabeth nee Storrie was only 16.
This is stating the blatantly obvious, but if Elizabeth Storrie who was 70 in the 1851 census is the widow of James Bolton then (a) she isn't the one buried in London in 1830 and (b) assuming that her age is accurate she was born in 1780/1781 and would therefore have been about 21 when Helen Bolton was born.

Already ruled this out as I have found Elizabeth's death certificate in Scotland 1860 not found her birth yet 1780/1781 parents were William Storrie Shoemaker and his wife was Elizabeth Guy.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

Thanks for your text at least I am not the only one totally confused ??? ???

On the Kirk sessions this is what Scotlandspeople sent me  I have checked the minutes for the year 1801-1803 (CH2/84/13 and CH2/84/63) but could see no mention of Elizabeth Storrie or James/William Bolton being brought before the Kirk Session but still no marriage.  However she was buried as Elizabeth Bolton widow of a slater in 1860 which was registered by Elizabeth Potter her granddaughter.  She married 8 years later in Manchester as a spinster.

The 1851 census for Elizabeth Storrie (1781) isn't listed on Scotlandspeople but managed to find it with John Davidson born in Dalkeith 1844 and recorded as a grandson.  There is also an Elizabeth Davidson Granddaughter born 1846.  The William and Elizabeth for 1851 census their John would have been born circa 1839 and was 5 years older than the one on Elizabeth Storrie's census at Dalkeith.  (Bought from Scotlands people and they have been informed and are hoping to cross reference under Storrie)

On the other hand, there's a 24-year-old Daniel Davidson, lodger, painter, born Dalkeith and living in Dalkeith in 1871, and by 1881 Daniel is a house painter (transcribed as house printer on a commercial site!) married to Helen and living in Galashiels with 9-year-old son William and father-in-law James Somerville that you have pointed out.  As he was named Daniel Potter Davidson presumably he is related to my Daniel Potter born 1799 and Helen Bolton his wife daughter of Elizabeth Storrie but how I don't know.

Daniel Potter Davidson's parents were recorded as William Davidson & Elizabeth Limeburn(er)  Daniel Potter and Helen Bolton had a son Stephen Holdsworth Potter (1833) who was also a master painter employing two boys in High Street Dalkeith in 1881.

John Davidson, 18, plasterer, born Dalkeith, is a lodger in Dalkeith in 1861 which would fit with the John who is with Elizabeth Storrie age wise on the 1851 census.

In the same year William Davidson, 22, nailmaker, is in different lodgings  there, and 16-year-old Elizabeth Davidson, born Dalkeith, is a boarder in the household of Robina Fowler, 'keeper of female lodgers' in Dalkeith she would have been the right age for the Elizabeth Davidson who was living with Elizabeth Storrie who died in 1860 and is the one I am researching.

I haven't found John, I found an Elisabeth Story Davidson 06.01.1846 at Dalkeith, and another boy Daniel Potter Davidson 24.12.1848 parents William Davidson and Elizabeth Limeburn (Limeburner)  William Davidson married Elizabeth Limeburner at Dalkeith 17.04.1840 but haven't a clue as too where they fit in my Potter/Storrie history.

Eileen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:56 BST (UK) »
The 1851 census for Elizabeth Storrie (1781) isn't listed on Scotlandspeople
She is, actually, but she is indexed as Morrie. I have sent a correction to Scotland's People.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian

I have also told Scotlands People

Eileen