Author Topic: James Bolton  (Read 8119 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: James Bolton
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
The William and Elizabeth for 1851 census their John would have been born circa 1839 and was 5 years older than the one on Elizabeth Storrie's census at Dalkeith.
What is your evidence that John was born about 1839? There is no John of that age listed with his parents in the 1841 census, or any other John Davidson of that age who is not with other probable parents. He was 7 in 1851, and 18 in 1861, which is consistent with a birth in 1842/1844.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 13 June 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
What is your evidence that John was born about 1839? There is no John of that age listed with his parents in the 1841 census, or any other John Davidson of that age who is not with other probable parents. He was 7 in 1851, and 18 in 1861, which is consistent with a birth in 1842/1844.

The evidence is just the ages on the 1851 census for Elizabeth Storrie of John being 7 and Elizabeth being 5 and as I said couldn't find a birth for John only an Elizabeth Story Davidson was born in 1846(spelled in many ways) and a Daniel Potter Davidson 1848 with parents William Davidson and Elizabeth Limeburn (er).

As my ancestor's are Daniel Potter and Helen Bolton (daughter of Elizabeth Storrie) thought it was too much of a coincedence for them not to be part of the same tree.

I value your help if I am on the wrong track but these two children are recorded as grandchildren do you think if I find the Janet Storrie who married Alexander Davidson father of a William Davidson's  death certificate  and find who her parents were and if it is William Storrie and Elizabeth Guy then she would be my Elizabeth's sister.  The other alternative is to find evidence for John Davidson born 1844 perhaps his death certificate.  What do you think?

I have clutched so many straws in this branch of my family.  I have Elizabeth Storrie who was buried as Elizabeth Bolton widow's parent's death certs.

Eileen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 13 June 19 16:13 BST (UK) »

The evidence is just the ages on the 1851 census for Elizabeth Storrie of John being 7 and Elizabeth being 5 and as I said couldn't find a birth for John only an Elizabeth Story Davidson was born in 1846(spelled in many ways) and a Daniel Potter Davidson 1848 with parents William Davidson and Elizabeth Limeburn (er).
So there is no evidence to suggest that John Davidson, son of William Davidson and Elizabeth Limeburn(er), was born 5 years before 1842/1844, which is his approximate date of birth according to the census?

It looks as if no record of his birth/baptism have survived. This is not unusual.

As my ancestors are Daniel Potter and Helen Bolton (daughter of Elizabeth Storrie) thought it was too much of a coincidence for them not to be part of the same tree.
I agree.

do you think if I find the Janet Storrie who married Alexander Davidson father of a William Davidson's  death certificate  and find who her parents were and if it is William Storrie and Elizabeth Guy then she would be my Elizabeth's sister.
It's possible, but I did look for exactly that and did not find a death of that Janet Storrie.

The other alternative is to find evidence for John Davidson born 1844 perhaps his death certificate.  What do you think?
I think I would try that, and also look for the deaths of his sister Elizabeth and brother William.

I have clutched so many straws in this branch of my family.
I am not suprised. They are proving a very hard nut to crack.

The simplest answer is that Elizabeth Storrie is also Janet Storrie, which would mean that somewhere along the line some clerk got her name wrong, but that is still in the realms of speculation.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 13 June 19 16:36 BST (UK) »
The simplest answer is that Elizabeth Storrie is also Janet Storrie, which would mean that somewhere along the line some clerk got her name wrong, but that is still in the realms of speculation.

If this is correct and it could be she was supposedly married to James Bolton when she had Helen baptised in 1802.  On all census she is recorded as Elizabeth Storrie but on her death certificate she is recorded as Elizabeth Bolton aged 80 and a widow of a slater (no name mentioned) so perhaps it could be her with Alexander Davidson in 1806 and they got the name wrong I suppose but she didn't marry him as she was married to James Bolton?

I look into John, Elizabeth and Daniel Davidson and see if I can gel them together (watch this space)

Thanks again

Eileen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 13 June 19 18:16 BST (UK) »
On all census she is recorded as Elizabeth Storrie but on her death certificate she is recorded as Elizabeth Bolton aged 80 and a widow of a slater (no name mentioned) so perhaps it could be her with Alexander Davidson in 1806 and they got the name wrong I suppose but she didn't marry him as she was married to James Bolton?
It can't be the wife of Alexander Davidson after all because Alexander Davidson and Janet Stor(r)i/e(y) had six recorded children between 1785 and 1812. This overlaps Helen's date of birth in 1802 and therefore eliminates the possibility of Elizabeth Bolton being Janet Stor(r)i/e(y) or Davidson.

I think the death certificate of William Davidson might be interesting. Does his son Daniel Potter Davidson's marriage certificate say that he was deceased?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 13 June 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
The plot thickens.

Actually, I think Daniel, who registered his father's death, must have got mixed up, because his mother was Elizabeth Limeburner, not Elizabeth Storrie.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:08 BST (UK) »
So the death certificate of Wiliam Davidson whose wife was Elizabeth Limeburn (er)  died in 1866 and his son Daniel registered the death am I right so far. The cert is a lead and am I right in thinking that Elizabeth Storrie (who was Bolton) was William Davidson's mother?

But he made an error and perhaps put his grandmothers name on the certificate twice?

Gosh this is complicated.

Eileen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 13 June 19 20:28 BST (UK) »
So the death certificate of Wiliam Davidson whose wife was Elizabeth Limeburn (er)  died in 1866 and his son Daniel registered the death am I right so far. The cert is a lead and am I right in thinking that Elizabeth Storrie (who was Bolton) was William Davidson's mother?
It does look like that.

But he made an error and perhaps put his grandmothers name on the certificate twice?
That also looks likely.

Gosh this is complicated.
Indeed.

It requires that Elizabeth Storrie, born in Dalkeith (according to the 1851 census) married first James Bolton and had Helen Bolton in Dumfries, then was widowed, married William Davidson and had a son William in Falkirk at almost exactly the same time as Alexander Davidson and Janet Storrie also had a son William in Falkirk.

Now if we could find a death certificate for the son of Alexander Davidson and Janet Storrie, that would be really, really useful.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 14 June 19 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian

Thank you for your help it is very kind of you.  I will look for the other certificate today.  I don't think she married William Davidson as she was buried as Bolton.

Eileen